Want to replace the TR4 H support bracket with the TR4a H support bracket.

Does anyone have any experience swapping these over, and are there any problems I should be aware of. ie - do they fit and support in the same places.

Thanks,

Rob.

Rob

I did just this but did have some subsequent issues so eventually reverted back to the more basic original item

As far as I am aware, the 4A item fits the original mounting holes and I didn't have any issues fitting it, apart from having to jack up the dashboard arrangement a little during fitment - I think this is fairly common.

The major issue I had was my gearlever just touched the front of the "hole"where the gaiters fit when in 1st and particularly third, such that it would often make it jump out of gear - my H frame had been recovered but I don't think the covering made it any thicker than original, particularly in the area of the "hole" lip. The lack of clearance wore a hole in both the gaiter and the H frame cover.

I couldn't move the H frame any further forward, so the the only solution would have been to move the whole engine and gearbox back a smidgeon, and/or find a reason why it might not have been in the right place to start with.

It was some time ago and I did post on the forum about it, but couldn't find an obvious fault/solution - I originally thought that using a later gearbox with a thicker flange was the problem until it was pointed out that the flange thickening takes place on the rear of the flange, hence the overall length is unaffected. I also checked the engine mountings were in the correct hole, which they were so there was no easy solution there.

I'm afraid, in the end, I gave up and refitted the original. Maybe it was just the tolerances on my car which created the issue, but we are only talking about maybe an 1/8" or at most 1/4" to find for the clearance .

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rich

Phil

Attached are photos of the back and front of the two types

The 4A one has the bulbous extension which encompasses the gearlever and was originally finished in the foam based plastic effect leather grain, the same finish as on the crash pads.

The 4 one is a much simpler flattish affair in cast aluminium, simply painted black

post-10723-0-79026800-1519568964_thumb.jpgpost-10723-0-70686000-1519568976_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for the comments on this.

I wanted to change purely for aesthetic reasons - yes I liked the TR4a front more.

But the gearbox issue seems to be a problem.

Is there a difference in the size/location of the gearbox/gearlever.

(this will probably expose my ignorance.But I would rather know.)

Thanks.

Rob.

Retrograde Step from a geabox/overdrive access point of view.

Lots on here about two part tunnel covers, cutting access holes for access to

Geabox top-up, O/D solenoid etc, front U/J,

all prevented by the 4A 'Nose'

John.

I am not sure if the 4 and 4A are the same but the front engine mount on a 4A has a choice of two fore and aft holes that it can go into. I cant recall which is correct and I had to ask the forum which was the right pair to use but if yours are in the front then you have the possibility of moving engine and gearbox back about half an inch iirc. I think it was Stuart that put me right.

Edited by peejay4A

Years ago I had the same problem as Rich on my 4A, the gear lever was so close to the forward edge of the hole in the H frame that the car could drop out of 3rd gear. I simply relieved the front edge of the hole by about 10mm and problem solved.

Tim