Factory aluminium hardtops.

Oh, so you found the Hen's Teeth and now you want to have an easy ride to the finish using standard parts? /jealousy mode off/ You've just dropped a major find in a small posting without pics, and other glorious information!

Knowing but not understanding the infinite ways of Triumph's thinking, there are two options: 1: they've raided their own parts bin, so yes it will fit. 2: the factory outsourced/offshored the production to a few gnomes in the back of a factory without consulting or consent about parts, measurements and compatibility. In that case, it will not fit.

We need pics!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Collected the hardtop today.Also got some 'fittings', if anyone recognises

where they all go?.The chrome escutcheons have each had a captive nut brazed

inside.This would assume that the rear of the hardtop was affixed straight

onto the cockpit cappings!The front windscreen brackets are missing but

may follow later if they are found.The half round tube arrangements I don't recognise at all

The inside is sprayed with foam of some description.It all looks original.

Is painted black.Most of the damage is the panel under the rear screen.The inside of

this area has a strip of wood screwed from the outside and has attached an oblong steel

plate which looks though it hooks of the capping in front of the petrol filler.

There is an area on the top which will need knocking out.

The lovely chap I bought it from never had it fitted to his TR3s.It was a gift

from a fellow Scimitar owner 25+ years ago.

As you can see, I am not a gifted snapper!

Roger M-E

post-15110-0-91231500-1519585024_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-86389600-1519585040_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-49246300-1519585077_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-17537400-1519585095_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-06430600-1519585126_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-40110000-1519585157_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-21445400-1519585198_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Having spent the last 4 days with paint stripper, wire brushes, thinners

a junior hacksaw and some very small BA spanners, I've managed to

reduce the object of my desire to it's component parts relatively unscathed.

What is obvious is that it isn't a pressing, the main shell being made in 6

seperate parts i.e roof centre, roof sides X 2, window aperture 1/4 panels X 2 and

the rear bottom panel all welded into the one panel.There are 2 steel hockey

stick shaped angle pieces for the door apertures screwed on the inside of the

ally panel with 2 chromed steel cant/drip rails sandwiching the door aperture.These cant rails seem to be

normal Triumph steel hardtop items.Very little else seems to carry over.

The front of the roof has a fabricated steel angle section which sandwiches a

T section rubber weather strip to the ally front top lip above the windscreen frame.It would seem

that there should be 4 simple (I hope) steel brackets which screw first to the roof steel angle section

and then into 4 (not the normal 3) brass screen mounting brackets.

At the rear/window aperture sides all I have are a 3/16" hole each side rather crudely drilled to mount

a 'don't know what', and under/inside the rear window a piece of tapered wood screwed from the outside

with 5 screws holds a steel plate which seems to sandwich the rear tonneaux capping in front of the fuel cap.

Thickness of the aluminium sheet appears to be around .0365".i.e less than 1mm!The heaviest single

component is the screen (which is broken of course).

The original screen is a very much more stiff item than the modern replacement I have to hand, which

seems as flexible as Tesco value ham!Also the original screen has a degree of curvature in both directions.

The modern one is obviously just shaped from flat sheet.The window rubber is a simple double channel,

with no filler strip.

It is my current intention to get this hardtop fitted to my TR2 when it goes for panel repairs in the next few weeks.

I will also need a purposed made frame for storage as this top has almost no structural integrity at all.

It is ridiculously lightweight and I would have to say probably not as suitable to normal GT motoring as the steel

item.

If there is anyone out there who has access to a car fitted with one of these, I'd be more than

happy to have some installed pictures (better than mine please!) in order to try and get as close

as possible to the correct mountings.

Roger M-E

post-15110-0-91108900-1522082996_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-07511700-1522083010_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-12487400-1522083031_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-20157500-1522083051_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-31213800-1522083075_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-24471600-1522083095_thumb.jpg

post-15110-0-23008300-1522083123_thumb.jpg

Years ago a mate Ken Copeland chased down an aluminium hardtop and I went with him to collect it. The owner, a Brit expat, related a story of it being a short-run lightweight item for competition cars. He claimed it was made by an aircraft bodywork company called Helliwells. At that point I listened more carefully as Helliwells were known to do aluminium work for Jaguar and a bit of prototype fabrication for S-T. Later of course, as Tube Investments after a takeover, they built the aluminium bodied Swallow Doretti.

Ken hated any form of top on his TR3A and only ever used aeroscreens regardless of the weather. The rare aluminium hardtop was just a keepsake, so of no help at all as to fitting arrangements.

Viv

Hi Viv,

the Doretti wasn't a later production, it was designed and developed pretty much in tandem with the TR2 . . . . . and Helliwell's had become part of TI back in 1950, long before either sports car had been conceived.

The Walsall factory could turn its hand to small scale manufacture of just about any darn thing, and as such provided a useful facility for Ken Richardson when he wished to develop or experiment without the powers-that-be at Standard Triumph knowing what he was up to. Alloy hardtops being an example !

Cheers

Alec

Interesting stuff!

It would follow that the hardtop I have, to be honest, is not what you

would call 'robust' in day to day use, but it would make sense as

a competition item.Whether the loss of structural integrity over a steel

version was outweighed by the weight advantage we can now only guess at.

I would have thought that 'mine' would have been made using either a factory

glass fibre or steel hard top as a buck.That would make it .0365" larger all

over using 20g ally sheet and (hopefully) allows the use of the standard window.

I believe the cantrails on the 'normal' tops as being in aluminium?

As mine are in chrome plated steel, I'm assuming this was another tweek to

try and add back some strength. I've had to replace the front steel and the cantrails

pro temp just to be able to move the blessed thing around without it folding.

Thank you both for the Helliwell story line.There just might be another like mine out

there.

I did find a 3A on the Net having been sold here fitted with an Alloy works top,

and that appeared to have all the usual mountings i.e. 3 at the front and 5 at the rear.

Roger M-E

My 1955 tr3 was ordered with a steel hard top and has never been fitted a soft top. now my hard top is in very bad condition but I will restore it and I will also fit a soft top in her. its not going to be cheep just getting the window and all the seals and replace a few missing pieces of hard ware will cost around 500.00 not including many hours of labor.

Edited by friarmike