Wire wheel adaptors/studs

Dont know if anyone can shed any light on this one.

I have just finished changing both wheel bearings on the front off side. I noticed when fitting the wire wheel adaptor back on that the nuts appear to have some sort of taper in that the threads on one side of the nut go all the way to the edge, yet on the other side of the nut the threads taper off leaving a small unthreaded collar.

When I look at the studs the threads are fine however they appear to stop short slightly off the hub face.

So my concern is are they worn out? Are they as designed? And presumably the nuts should go on the studs the same way around ie tapered towards the hub face.

Sounds a small point but the thought of something horrible happening sends shudders etc.

Many thanks

Loose wheel nut syndrome - replace.

There are either threads...or there is plain shank up to the same dia of the thread tops, threads cut into studs but then worn down are err...buggered !

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi Barry,

am I right in thinking that the picture of the stud shows the stud sticking out of the hub and the splined adaptor is not there.

In that case the bottom two or so threads will not see the nut due tot he thickness of the adaptor.

As for the nuts - it is odd that one side has two threads counterbored.

I don;t know the correct reason for what is going on but !!! could the counterbore be there to help fitting the nuts.

When you tighten the nuts can you get at least 8 full turns ( 8 x 360') and are there 8 or more sets of peaks looking down the nut internals.

I have not noticed the counterbore on my wheel nuts.

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes you are right the photo shows it without the splined adaptor.

The strange thing is that all 4 nuts are exactly the same, one side has a kind of taper and the other side does not. It suggests to me that the nuts should only go on one way, which up until now I have not really noticed which is a worry.

As the garage is a tad cold right now I will check the number of turns/visible threads first thing in the morning and let you know.

Many thanks

Barry,

That stud thread looks a bit worn. They seem to be curled over, maybe be after being over-torqued. I would want to change that, and suspect all the others may be same. Maybe an optical illusion though.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hi Roger

Now that the garage has warmed up again I have just run the checks you suggested.

Yes I can get 8 full rotations for each nut across all four studs, I have noticed that it is easier if I start with the taper in the nut facing away from

the hub, if I start with the taper inwards it is very tight starting off. I have also counted the number of threads down each nut, all have 8 'peaks', one nut has 7.

Have examined the stud threads and I cannot see anything wrong with the threads, so am begining to think the previous comments of the threads being buggered probably apply to the nuts. I think I will try and get 4 new ones today and see how they all compare.

Barry

post-10723-0-28677000-1519303282_thumb.jpgBarry

I can save you the effort - none of my new or good used ones have a thread arrangement like yours

See attached photo

I reckon your nuts and probably your studs as well would be better off replaced

Whereabouts are you cos I have some available - not worth posting but could be collected - Im in Colchester Essex

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

I am based in Bracknell, thank you very much for your kind offer. I ordered a new set of nuts about an hour ago.

I think when I get them I will (a) see how they compare to my existing ones and (B) see how well they do up.

I personally think that my nuts have seen better days (can't believe I just typed that ;-) , so will be interesting to compare.

I think with new nuts if there are still problems then yes I agree probably pointing to the studs, but on examination I do reckon

the studs look OK.

See how it goes.

Once again thanks for your input.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Looked at mine and I agree with consensus that you have knackered nuts (age old boy), the treads on mine are constant through the depths of the nut. I think your studs are OK they look the same as mine. (perhaps people will say mine are shot).

However, I can only get about 6 3/4 turns on mine. They are the original studs and hubs since new but the spline extensions were changed in 1986.The possible explanations for not getting 8 turns:

a) Wrong studs. My studs are exactly 30mm from end to end. Does anyone know the size of the shorter ww studs and the longer ones?

B) Non original spline extension maybe has slightly thicker flange? My flange is 7.7 mm, how does that compare?

As I could not have the longer ones (only 6 3/4 turns) I must have "super shorts", do not quite understand.

post-14990-0-23121700-1519304696_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest you inspect the inside of your wire wheels to make sure the studs and/or nuts do not mark the wheel and hold it off the taper on the adapter which centres the wheel. This is why the studs and the nuts are smaller than steel wheels. The nuts should be tapered on both sides, first to centre the adapter (as though it was a steel wheel) and also to fit in the tight space on the rear of the wire wheel.

I realise this is late to your post but feel it is important to have this information logged for future readers,

John

Hi John,

How's it going with flying those Wurlitzers ! lol

Mick Richards

Hi John

Have now fitted brand new wire wheel adaptor nuts and all seems fine, no marks on the inside of the wire wheel. I think the nuts that were on there had seen better days.

PYU940F in answer to your question 'Does anyone know the size of the shorter ww studs' and what is the thickness of the wire wheel adaptor.

I took the opportunity to measure before re-assembly (not official figures - just what I have fitted).

Wire Wheel Adaptor 6.5mm

Studs (from tip to tip) 29.46mm

Hope this helps

Thanks for all of your help - now on to the next issue ;-)

Barry