Sidescreen TRs and rack and pinion steering

Hi all, I own a 1958 TR3A, it is fitted with standard steering box. A must for me when buying the car to retain the classic driving experience.

First of all I would never consider not having a regular MOT, despite under current regulations it is not required.

Secondly most of the reasons I have heard in respect of changing to R & P steering is to make the steering lighter, easy to use. I cannot understand this argument, as for me there is no problem with standard steering if the following points are observed:

1. Check tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.

2. Anticipate a maneuver and set the wheels whilst still moving. I accept this may not be possible when parking in a tight space such as between cars at the side of the road, but realistically, how often does this situation occur when driving a TR?

3. Use steering method taught during the early TR era ie turn the wheel using both hands.

Not wishing to offend anyone by suggesting their driving is at fault, but in order to retain the authenticity of the car, and to enjoy the driving experience I would suggest anyone thinking of changing to R & P should consider the above.

Surely I am not the only one with this opinion.

Steve

Everybody has an opinion Seve and I am sure many agree with both of us. However, I was only interested in trying to shed a view on interpreting the new guidance.

Alan