Morning all. My car TR6 only goes out for a run every couple of months. So I sometimes find the battery is a little down on power and so sometime have to use jump leads. So thought Id by a battery charger......

- should I by a trickle charger or standard charger or ?

- Can someone recommend a good make or are any that Halfords sell will be good quality, even the cheapest ?

Peter

Hi

Get a conditioner type you can leave these on and they cycle through different modes to keep the battery health.

The club sells this type

http://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/ctek-08-ctek-xs-08---12v-conditioner-h-43-p.asp

Its a good make you may need to check the size you need.

I already had the Aldi version works great. But only available during their motoring specials.

Optimate do similar. I used theirs on my bikes.

Sorry dont know about halford versions

H

Ctec or Accumate are good brands, Lidl one very good value.

I’ve wider my lidl one up with long 12v loads so it can be connected to the battery and reach inside to 240v, as my tr has to live on the drive.

Steve

Very cold night

C Tek showed everything was fine

Battery wouldnt turn it over

=

C Tek not set on frost setting and had stopped charging.

Mick Richards

Just received my CTEK XS 0.8 charger. (12volt 0.8A). The box shows charging times for batteries from 2ah through to 32ah.....ranging from 2 hours to 32 hours respectively.

My battery is 72ah.......does that therefore mean I’ve bought the wrong charger ? and the charging time would be circa 80 hours ?

Regards.

Yep, 80 hrs would be approximately correct

Bob.

P.S. if output is 0.8 Amps, then a 72 AH battery from flat would take 90 Hours !

Edited by Lebro

That one looks like its not really intended for charging big batteries from scratch, its a conditioner to keep a battery topped up when not in use in which case 0.8 amps is quite sufficient. See their range here:

https://www.ctek.com/products

If you really need to fully charge a battery from flat on a regular basis you certainly have the wrong one. However if you just want to keep your good car battery in best condition between drives the one you have will be fine.

Edited by RobH

Rob, thanks for clarifying that. I use the car on occasional sunny days...so not regularly. Just want to keep it topped up as it looses a bit of punch being laid up. If I suspected the battery was poor, I’d replace it.

Cheers.

I use Accumate, a smart charger that charges at 1.2 amp normally but changes to float charge when its fully charged so can be left all the time as a trickle charger. It will charge a 12v battery discharged to as low as 3v. Cost about £45-50 but worth it, the battery on my TR6 is probably nearly 10 years old but Accumate keeps it in top condition.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

Pierre,

"doesn't get below about 4degC "

Manual says to select for use below 5deg C when it will happily cope with sub zero temps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHSI_qHOI4U

"C Tek doesn't have a frost setting"

Does on mine

post-6602-0-23695100-1519345615_thumb.png

Mick Richards