I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me with a problem with the positioning of the fuel tank on my 61 3a (Left hand drive).My car has the flat floor behind the seats with a couple of brackets which I assume are there for fixing of the straps securing the fuel tank itself. My problem is that I've positioned the fuel tank and aligned the filler hole with the hole in the rear bulkhead, The step in the base of the tank also appears to be where it should be but the issue is that the drain and the outlet don't align with the hole that's in the floor and there's no hole at all for the fuel supply outlet from the tank to connect to the supply pipe; the floor appears to be original so I cant work out where the fuel supply pipe would have entered the floor originally!

I've attached some images to try and illustrate the problem but they're not great so apologies for this, you can see in one of them the marks that the drain is making on the floor to the left of the hole (photo taken from boot side) and as you can see its nowhere near. In fact if I position the tank in relation to the filler hole, the drain is actually locating on the step below the level of the hole.

My questions are:

a) Have I got the correct tank; it appears to be exactly the same as the one on my 59 car but I'm not sure if they changed. It came with all of the other bits in boxes so it wasn't on the car but I assume it is the original tank.

B) Is the tank meant to sit on the brackets that are located on the flat floor behind the seat or behind these as I suspect that these are just for fixing the straps to. Also the tank seems to sit better when it sits directly onto the boot floor but as mentioned above, when I do this the drain hole will need to be drilled in the lower step together with a hole for the supply pipe.

Apologies if this has been addressed before; I've found one or two previous posts relating to tank positioning but they don't seem to relate directly to my problem. If anyone has any photos of tanks insitu that would be ideal.

Thanks

Graeme

post-9805-0-49890700-1518813230_thumb.jpg

post-9805-0-72647100-1518813341_thumb.jpg

post-9805-0-05803000-1518813467_thumb.jpg

post-9805-0-38747200-1518813480_thumb.jpg

Here's the tank-mounting configuration on my *very* late bodyshell. The tank sits on those pedestals. The fuel line goes through the left-side hole in the floor, the overflow/vent tube and drains in right-side holes. The straps hold the tank in place on the pedestals.

i-VrkqMgp-X3.jpg

Here's what a late tank looks like:

i-6RfJpqp-X3.jpg

i-N66Qztn-X3.jpg

i-G9xBHDT-X3.jpg

Your photos, as you say, are horrible. Post better pix if you want better advice.

NOTE: Updated to get my left/right correct!

Edited by Don H.

When you've decided that you need a new (another) tank, don't be bothered trying to buy an old one. Often these have pin holes and are rusty. My experiences with tank sealer are bad. It flaked and clogged the filter.

Go for a new, alloy tank. Costs more, but doesn't rot, doesn't leak. Not now, not in the future.

Menno

There's just one other query, on the last photos that Don posted (thanks again Don), it looks to me that there's a drain (nearest the floor) and the fuel feed (at the top). I would have thought that these are what are meant to go through the large holes in the floor of the car and the vent is routed elsewhere? On my 59 car the vent is routed to the right hand side of the car (looking from the back) down the side of the tank & through a smaller hole next to the wheel arch; I assumed that this would be the same on the 61 car also?

Underbody images shot from the right-hand side wheel well looking across the bottom of where the tank is mounted above. Vent tube the bent pipe in foreground. Differential housing the dark irregular shape at lower right. Spare tire compartment on the left. Note that my installation is probably "wrong" in a few minor areas -- especially around grommets and so on. It's close though.

i-cjF3FRS.jpg

The top of the tank looking in through the boot.

i-g5CBhnN.jpg

i-Vbcwkrt.jpg

i-bBdnC6n.jpg

An overall view looking into the boot.

i-WGDh5MW.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Many thanks Don, these images give me everything that I need and also show exactly where the tank should sit in relation to the step in the floor which really helps. They also appear to confirm that the two holes in the floor are there to receive the drain and the fuel feed with the vent running down the side of the tank and through a smaller third hole.

I purchased a new set of Automec copper fuel lines from Moss (I think) which provide the vent in the form of a flexible pipe; I much prefer the original set up the banjo arrangement,

Just one last question, I guess all will become obvious when I reeive my new tank but I'm assuming that the forward fixing for the straps that hold the tank in place locate onto the fixing holes for the brackets themselves (presumably the rear fixing hole) as I've got no hole in the top face of mine.

You've gone to a lot of trouble to take these shots for me Don so thanks very much

Graeme

The drain pipe should have a grommet where it goes through the floor/

Graham

Correct, Graham. As I noted in post #9, my car's "wrong" in a few areas. It has a short length of fuel line sleeved over the vent tube acting as a poor-man's grommet for that opening.