Pipe clip thermostat

Hi,

I've looked through the Moss WebCat and can't see it.

However I made my own.

The clip is a simple bent piece of Stainless. The attachment hole is a slot that slides onto the thermo housing lower bolt..

The rubber pipe cover is a piece of rubber fuel pipe. You may need to be inventive to hold the dizzy Vacuum pipe.

Roger

Hi Rob,

that was a good bit of detective work.

However at that price, and with a hole rather than a slot, I shall go into business and start making them.

Roger

Fiddlesticks - I looked at that page and couldn't see it for looking

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/fuel-system-induction-controls/tanks-pumps-pipes/fuel-tank-pipe-pump-tr4-4a.html

#57 & #56

Edited by RogerH

Here's a photo of my original. Seems to look nothing like your parts #56 and #57, Roger. This would be a trivial item to fabricate.

i-VhxWHfK.jpg

i-vHBBHZZ.jpg

i-ntSWnSF.jpg

Edited by Don H.

So Don H, on your original fitting, did the copper pipe finish

At the fitting, and a flexible then run to the carbs, with the flexible lock nutted to your fitting, I think that sounds right.

So Don H, on your original fitting, did the copper pipe finish

At the fitting, and a flexible then run to the carbs, with the flexible lock nutted to your fitting, I think that sounds right.

No, that doesn't sound right at all, ptr2.

1. The hard fuel lines are steel, not copper.

2. The hard line ran well through the fitting (with a rubber grommet installed in the fitting's hole and terminated closer to the carbs with a flexible line. In the originals, the rubber line was simply slipped onto the hard line. Nowadays most sensible people use one type or another hose clamp.

3. I have no idea what you mean by "flexible lock nutted to your fitting".

See this image before restoration of my car. Note: This was after twenty years of storage in a barn -- and I'm the one who put it there, alas! Click on the photo for full size enlargement.

i-X9mhTXj.jpg

No, that doesn't sound right at all, ptr2.

1. The hard fuel lines are steel, not copper.

2. The hard line ran well through the fitting (with a rubber grommet installed in the fitting's hole and terminated closer to the carbs with a flexible line. In the originals, the rubber line was simply slipped onto the hard line. Nowadays most sensible people use one type or another hose clamp.

3. I have no idea what you mean by "flexible lock nutted to your fitting".

See this image before restoration of my car. Note: This was after twenty years of storage in a barn -- and I'm the one who put it there, alas! Click on the photo for full size enlargement.

i-X9mhTXj.jpg

Not wanting to be picky but are you sure that is original? IBy coincidence I have been looking at that clamp on my restoration car just this morning.

The hose clamps in the photo aren't original, it is possible that the pipe support is also non original. I have had my short door TR2 since early 76. I have seen quite a few sidescreens and that part isn't something I've seen often, although I do recall seeing the same or similar which I assumed to be home made.

Not wanting to be picky but are you sure that is original? IBy coincidence I have been looking at that clamp on my restoration car just this morning.

The hose clamps in the photo aren't original, it is possible that the pipe support is also non original. I have had my short door TR2 since early 76. I have seen quite a few sidescreens and that part isn't something I've seen often, although I do recall seeing the same or similar which I assumed to be home made.

The hose clamps are not original.

The hoses themselves I believe to be not original

the two metal wrap-around pipe clips are not original.

All things than can easily be changed.

The pipe support for the fuel line IS original.

AlanR

The pipe support clip is often missing from early cars as they date from the days when proper enthusiasts ran two different thermostats one for winter and one for summer along with two different grades of oil winter/summer so the housings were undone lots of times and the clip would often be found somewhere down near the fuel pump or missing altogether. I had a one owner Derrington built 3a and the clip was just rattling around on the fuel pipe.

Stuart.

The hose clamps are not original.

The hoses themselves I believe to be not original

the two metal wrap-around pipe clips are not original.

All things than can easily be changed.

The pipe support for the fuel line IS original.

AlanR

Exactly right, Alan.

Interesting, some owner back in the 60s or 70s (I bought the car in 1981) used an extra Jubilee-style hose clamp on the bypass hose, apparently as a restrictor when a non-sleeved thermostat was added. An awkward approach, although it might very well have helped.

Here's another view of that fuel line fitting showing the bypass hose clamp, too.

i-wvLJF7V.jpg

Edited by Don H.