Time for a new outdoor car cover for my TR4A. Although the car is kept in a car port, it is still susceptible to wind, rain etc. Advice on the best replacement would be very helpful. I have ruled out a carcoon until next winter, and a carapace would be ideal but is far too long for the car port.

Mike

Hi Mike

I keep a car outside (Solstice) snug under a Classic Additions Storm cover. It's a bit pricey, but is soft on the inside, waterproof, breathable and fits snugly around the car with 3 straps keeping everything from flapping around. I haven't seen another cover that I would risk putting on my car outside.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Andrew

I've had a couple of Halfords outdoor car covers in the past - not cheap, and no bloody good.

Local Halford's reaction to their covers lasting just one winter was the proverbial shrug and what did I expect . . . . .

Just one of several reassuring experiences that lead me to avoid them unless it's a desperado last resort !

Cheers,

Alec

Hello Mike,

You said :

“…the car is kept in a car port, it is still susceptible to wind, rain etc…”

Personally, I think that it a good thing that it is “susceptible to wind”.

(Please everyone…. Let’s have no comments about farting…)

Rain makes it wet.

Wind dries it out.

Putting it under a cover only encourages damp to stay there.

Damp staying there makes it rust.

Wind drives rust away.

Just my opinion.

Charlie D.

"and a carapace would be ideal but is far too long for the car port.

Mike"

And stunningly expensive.! £5,500.00 including a side door.

http://www.thecarapace.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/review_page.pdfo

Mick Richards

After several years with a car cover I am still uncertain what is the best situation or compromise. The car is under a car port with removable fabric side screens for 'extra' protection from wind & rain & also covered by a quality 'breathable' cover from Specialized Covers. I am sure, despite the claims, that the cover is not really breathable as I get moisture underneath it & I am always worried that, despite the fleece lining, it might scratch the paintwork when windy. So there you are, uncertainty to what the best soulution is!

What the cover does do is prevent our 2 cats from scratching it when they like to climb on to the Surrey top to survey the garden!

Cheers.

i used a Hamilton Classics breathable cover on my Stag for many years.... never picked up any noticeable rubbing to the paintwork and did its job well.

I never expect any cover that is continually exposed to the elements to last longer than 4 years, probably 3 - need to treat it as a consumable.

..... Andy

• 1 year later...

I'm in a similar position where my 'new' TR4 is stored under a carport. The various car 'tent' options like the Cair-o- Port and Carcoon are non-starters for me as the carport is the only access to my garage which contains my vintage car. The TR4 will be used more frequently so has to be accessible. My car is painted in cellulose (fairly recent) and I'm worried about a cover rubbing the paint. My previous classic, a Stag, suffered without a cover and a neighbour's cat treated the hood as a bed and scratched the paintwork whenever my dog spotted it and it scuttled away. It's also a dusty area when dry (not very often in Cumbria) so some sort of cover should provide protection. Has anyone had experience of the Stormforce cover? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261429136253

On 9/14/2019 at 3:33 PM, Ocheye said:

I'm in a similar position where my 'new' TR4 is stored under a carport. The various car 'tent' options like the Cair-o- Port and Carcoon are non-starters for me as the carport is the only access to my garage which contains my vintage car. The TR4 will be used more frequently so has to be accessible. My car is painted in cellulose (fairly recent) and I'm worried about a cover rubbing the paint. My previous classic, a Stag, suffered without a cover and a neighbour's cat treated the hood as a bed and scratched the paintwork whenever my dog spotted it and it scuttled away. It's also a dusty area when dry (not very often in Cumbria) so some sort of cover should provide protection. Has anyone had experience of the Stormforce cover? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261429136253

Your still going to get the same problem with it chafing against the car. Why not get in touch with people who make the Airchambers (Thats the one with the frame inside) and see if they would do you one with access at both ends then you could leave it erected and drive your other car out through it when required.

Stuart.

"worried about a cover rubbing the paint"

One of the lesser evils, there are reports of them causing Micro blistering in the paint which then necessitates a full respray.

Mick Richards.

8 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"worried about a cover rubbing the paint"

One of the lesser evils, there are reports of them causing Micro blistering in the paint which then necessitates a full respray.

Mick Richards.

Yes if you get too much temperature changes so condensation appears under the cover.

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, stuart said:

Yes if you get too much temperature changes so condensation appears under the cover.

Stuart.

Which is definitely possible unless confined within a temp controlled chamber such as Carcoon etc. (prevents the highs and lows of temp change).

Mick Richards 

On 2/7/2018 at 1:50 PM, monty said:

a car port with removable fabric side screens for 'extra' protection from wind & rain & also covered..

^ Personally I feel that's your best option.   I don't have a car port but have a raised hard standing for air to flow under the car, and I have 6ft fence panels on two sides to prevent driving rain.  Previously I had a polytunnel over it but the sunlight's UV and wind shredded it.  Instead I'll be erecting a simple ridge pole over it - to cover with a tarp (cheap enough to replace every year or two) ..so in effect a poor man's car port.   But because I live on a farm, which is often dusty &/or has more than its fair share of flies, I'll then use an old car cover (no longer waterproof after just one year's UV)  under this to keep the car cleaner even with the car's window open on very hot and otherwise good drying days.  Naturally the bottom of the cover is open, so air flow might come up via the gaps between the bumpers to around the car.  The arrangement then is rather like a tent's flysheet with a dry(ing) tent inner.  If I lived in a town I'd use the cover to lessen prying / nosiness and possibly the interest of the wrong sorts.  The removable fabric side screens suggested, or in my case 6ft fence panels, lessen the flapping of the car cover on the car ..which in turn would reduce the possibility of dust under the cover scuffing the paintwork.  

I also use a few of the dark grey coloured insulating pipe-wrap polystyrene tubes under the car cover, to lift it up those two inches and provide an air space between the cover and the roof (see piccie).  This gap helps avoid condensation. 

Pete 

P1320491.thumb.JPG.b763d964a1d5dba95aaee

Edited by Bfg

I had a very good experience with a ‘stormforce’ cover from cover-zone

my tr6 lived on my drive for 6 years, from 2012 to 2018 when i made space in the garage !

in 2012 i bought a ‘monsoon’ cover made by cover-zone but this failed after about 18 months.

i called cover-zone and they asked for photos, and promptly offered me another ‘monsoon’ for free or an upgrade to ‘stormforce’ for a very modest cost.

i went with the upgrade and it lasted until 2018 when the TR went to retire in luxury in the garage.

i had no issues with ‘chafing’ or anything else really, hence the Stormforce gets a thumbs up from me.

steve

On 9/16/2019 at 10:37 AM, stuart said:

Your still going to get the same problem with it chafing against the car. Why not get in touch with people who make the Airchambers (Thats the one with the frame inside) and see if they would do you one with access at both ends then you could leave it erected and drive your other car out through it when required.

Stuart.

I've asked them but no plans at present

2 hours ago, Ocheye said:

I've asked them but no plans at present

Thats a shame as it would solve your problem.

Stuart.