TR6 Body shell

Good Afternoon all,

I have a late CR TR6 body shell in my garage that is in very good to excellent condition complete with all wings, bonnet and boot lid and i'm after a bit of guidance as to value as i'm contemplating selling to free up some garage space. All advice will be gratefully received

Thank you

Graham

There was a restored bodyshell with all panels painted red for sale in Holland 2 years ago, 10.000 euro, it did not sell very soon.

Waldi

Hi Graham, I'll have a stab at about £4k , if the wings , bonnet etc are in good Nick...then a bit more....depends how quickly you want to sell it.

That's my four pence worth !

Cheers,

Conrad.

A good set of pics would be good so people can give you a better idea.

Is it just the shell or is the chassi attached?

Ahh, I was hoping that the estimates would be higher from a vested interest point of view!

I understand that the first batch of 100 Heritage shells were not very well assembled dimensionally but the second batch were correct, but unfortunately the earlier reputation meant that only 50 or so were consequently made.

I bought one of the last made and what with work etc, I haven’t done anything with it for what must be now 25 years, frightening really. Stored in my workshop still on the slave chassis it came with. I think I may have forfeited the return deposit!

Now I’m afraid that I’ve been told I’m ill and not going to get better, I have been considering selling it. I know someone about 10 years ago added up the cost of the individual panels and they came to something around £12k.

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

sorry to hear you've had an unenviable diagnosis . . . . I know the feeling !

There's a world of difference between the financial value of a used shell, no matter how good, and a new virgin Stanpart or Heritage shell.

I can't see anyone who seriously wishes a new TR6 shell expecting to pay less than £12K, and probably more like £15-20K.

A new Heritage MGB shell is freely available, no problem except lead time, at a cost of around £10K.

The TR6 shell is unobtainium, and likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future, so worth whatever someone is willing to pay. For sure a substantial premium over a MGB shell !

Cheers

Alec

Hi Graham, To help with an idea of cost, I am about to embark on a shell building exercise myself. The cost of panels to date is about £3.5K excluding bonnet. The amount of work (manhours) will come to about £7.5K this will turn the shell into a minter with no rust or badly fitting panels. The problem is that there is a lot of "restored" stuff out there that just doesn't cut the mustard - having recently seen a "restored" TR5 it certainly wasn't one I would buy for 10K+ so I think that if you are considering putting it out there for all to see the best thing is definitely some good detailed photos.

At the end of the day if someone is looking for a tub because they can't simply do the work or it would enable a project to be finished quickly then I am sure it would sell. in the region of 10-12 K would be my estimate possibly more to the person who really needs one. I would be interested but I have been told by the purse strings holder that its now one out one in! If it is still available after April drop me a PM I will have some space by then. Clem

Hi Bill,

sorry to hear you've had an unenviable diagnosis . . . . I know the feeling !

There's a world of difference between the financial value of a used shell, no matter how good, and a new virgin Stanpart or Heritage shell.

I can't see anyone who seriously wishes a new TR6 shell expecting to pay less than £12K, and probably more like £15-20K.

A new Heritage MGB shell is freely available, no problem except lead time, at a cost of around £10K.

The TR6 shell is unobtainium, and likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future, so worth whatever someone is willing to pay. For sure a substantial premium over a MGB shell !

Cheers

Alec

Have you looked at those Heritage MGB shell? Unless they have seriously improved them lately they do need a lot of work to get the outer panels to line up properly especially where the swage line runs!

Stuart.

Good afternoon all

Thank you all for your response on this subject, I have taken on board all your comments and suggestions and being a good old Yorkshire man, can't imagine people will pay 10k+ for body shells be it new, old or indifferent!.

Times change along with pricing I suppose and my initial estimation falls in line with that of Conrad's 4k and a gentleman who I will keep anonymous due to pm'ing me at around 6k. Question is, would I be happy selling within these prices should I decide to sell? and the answer at this moment in time is an honest yes if it where to someone who needed one and no to someone who wanted one just to profit off. that's not what the register should be about.

Anyway I'm Sorry but work commitments and the good old British weather have prevented me from getting any photographs of the shell to give you a better idea as to it's condition but will do as soon as possible.

Thank you all again

Graham

Hi Stuart,

as far as I'm aware the quality of fit of the MGB shells is as mediocre, at best, as it ever was.

OK, the TR shells were not that clever either, but a damn sight better than their MG stablemates.

Which as far as I'm concerned makes a new TR6 Heritage shell a valuable item.

A very good ( and I do mean very good!) used TR6 shell, restored or unrestored, has to be worth in today's market £5K as a starting point - and possibly significantly more, depending on the detail of condition.

Cheers

Alec

I still have a straight, but not perfect TR6 shell lying in a garage, somewhere not far from Calais.....

No, it's English, smelling Marmite, so it need to go asap, or all the area will be contaminated :P

Dont forget to hide a couple of Maroilles somewhere in the shell before it heads away :D Edited by Kiwifrog
  • 2 months later...