It looks like plastic body filler around the headlights & along the seams. Since you pointed out that it is not filler, I understand.

My advice would be to show the condition of your TR as it is currently. That is what somebody would be purchasing.

Do not show the unfinished body- it looks real bad. That drivers seat cover screams "CHEAP".

Also, show comprehensive photos of the underside of the chassis, particularly the trailing arms area and the sills.

April is the best month to sell a sports car.

thanks for the tip, i will get some more photos including the chassis

regards

Also when a car is restored like this most buyers would prefer it to be a finished car and not “nearly there”, as there will probably be a lot of small niggles to sort out once you start to use it.

If you spend some time to finish it it should help a lot, the seat was mentioned, fair enough it’s acceptable for an original “survivor” to have cracks in the seat etc but as this car is restored I think the market would expect this car to be restored also inside.

Anyway don’t give up, and good luck with the sale!

I am also sure if you had approached register members in your area you would be able to get hands on help and advice if you ask for it.

Magnus

thanks for this Magnus

i am going to get the seat done and probably fit a new roof,

will look at other ways to get the car looking better

thanks to everyone

Tr6's seem to be remarkably cheap in the UK at the moment (winter?). It's summer here and on the Australian national website , Carsales , there are only 2 PI TR6's available for an average price of just over 30,000 pounds.

I do agree with the above comments in that a lot of cashed up Baby Boomers, which would form a large part of your potential market, are getting too old to be interested in fixing up details like seats - out here they'd rather throw more cash at a better car. That's why TR6 prices here have at least doubled over the past 5 years- people are paying more for cars that are close to condition A.

Michael,

I'll try and be as constructive as I can, I've been dealing in TR's for the last 30 years so hope i've gained a little bit of insight into the market place.

Most people looking at your car are being polite as they don't want to offend you or criticise the work you've done.

Firstly, everyone wants a bargain i.e they want a £30k nut and bolt restored car for less than £20k :D - Sadly these cars don't exist but people need to find this out themselves!

Cars (TR's included) only do not sell because of 3 main reasons:

1. They are over-priced

2. They are poor condition or poorly restored

3. They are over-priced and poor condition.

So to enable your car to sell you either need to drop the price or improve the condition, sounds simple but you've obviously spent a small fortune getting it to this point. However and this is an important point, the purchase price plus what you have already spent does not add up to the cars retail value.

As an example, a few years ago I bought a stunning TR5 for £25k (yes really) However the owner had spent £65k to get it to "mint" condition. He knew it was financial suicide however he wanted to build one of the best TR5's he could!

Being specific about your car and please dont think this is a criticism, it looks like the attention to detail under the bonnet has been overlooked. Image_1728 shows rust bleeding through around the clutch master cylinder and under the battery tray. The rocker cover has been hand painted (badly) and the plenum tube (big black tube connected to the throttle bodies) has a bad paint reaction. I know they sound like little things but people then doubt the quality of the rest of the work - hence they are being put off by a car of nearly £20k not being finished to a high standard. This is back to the wanting a £30k car for £20k! if that makes sense...The drivers seat and hood obviously add to their argument.....so they dont bother looking at your car and the continue to look for something better!

So you've either got to get the retail price correct, my feeling is around £15k in the current condition

or improve it further and finish it and detail it to a higher standard.....

Sounds simple but it rarely is.....

Cheers Mark

Michael,

I'll try and be as constructive as I can, I've been dealing in TR's for the last 30 years so hope i've gained a little bit of insight into the market place.

Most people looking at your car are being polite as they don't want to offend you or criticise the work you've done.

Firstly, everyone wants a bargain i.e they want a £30k nut and bolt restored car for less than £20k :D - Sadly these cars don't exist but people need to find this out themselves!

Cars (TR's included) only do not sell because of 3 main reasons:

1. They are over-priced

2. They are poor condition or poorly restored

3. They are over-priced and poor condition.

So to enable your car to sell you either need to drop the price or improve the condition, sounds simple but you've obviously spent a small fortune getting it to this point. However and this is an important point, the purchase price plus what you have already spent does not add up to the cars retail value.

As an example, a few years ago I bought a stunning TR5 for £25k (yes really) However the owner had spent £65k to get it to "mint" condition. He knew it was financial suicide however he wanted to build one of the best TR5's he could!

Being specific about your car and please dont think this is a criticism, it looks like the attention to detail under the bonnet has been overlooked. Image_1728 shows rust bleeding through around the clutch master cylinder and under the battery tray. The rocker cover has been hand painted (badly) and the plenum tube (big black tube connected to the throttle bodies) has a bad paint reaction. I know they sound like little things but people then doubt the quality of the rest of the work - hence they are being put off by a car of nearly £20k not being finished to a high standard. This is back to the wanting a £30k car for £20k! if that makes sense...The drivers seat and hood obviously add to their argument.....so they dont bother looking at your car and the continue to look for something better!

So you've either got to get the retail price correct, my feeling is around £15k in the current condition

or improve it further and finish it and detail it to a higher standard.....

Sounds simple but it rarely is.....

Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark for your in depth thoughts and an insight into the market.

I didn't realise that the seat and hood would have such a big impact.

In hindsight we would have taken the engine out and cleaned up in there. It would have been small in comparison but clearly needed to be done.

First thing I noticed was the dashboard and seats and this made me wonder what else was wrong with the car- I've seen so many TR6 at auctions that look like this and they don't fetch very good prices at all - if you put all the visual aspects right I'm sure you would get closer to the price you want for the car- why didn't you take the body off the chassis? These cars are notorious for chassis corrosion if it was my car I would have done the chassis too- gives prospective buyers peace of mind - just my two penneth. Best wishes with the future sale just got to spend more money and time on it and you'll get there.

First thing I noticed was the dashboard and seats and this made me wonder what else was wrong with the car- I've seen so many TR6 at auctions that look like this and they don't fetch very good prices at all - if you put all the visual aspects right I'm sure you would get closer to the price you want for the car- why didn't you take the body off the chassis? These cars are notorious for chassis corrosion if it was my car I would have done the chassis too- gives prospective buyers peace of mind - just my two penneth. Best wishes with the future sale just got to spend more money and time on it and you'll get there.

Hello Michael, thanks for your input

yes, in hindsight we would have taken the body off as again this seems to be something everyone wants, along with engine out, and new EVERYTHING. however that said, the chassis is solid, its been checked over and there are no issues so why attack something you don't need to, its not like these cars will go on forever without constant maintenance. again I refer to "Triggers Broom"

this seems to be where I misunderstand the "classic car" (said very loosely indeed) market, obviously there are many different people who enjoy classics but there seems to be 2 very different approaches which you can separate into 2 categories,

the first category "The Poser" those who want a classic, but not a classic, with all new parts and I mean ALL so basically they want a 2017/8 TR6 with not a single original element, the car must look like it came out the factory yesterday and be brand new, more than likely with Chinese interior items and plastic looking chrome trims (but hey it new) Personally (please don't take offence this is just my opinion) WHY? why would you want a car like that, doesn't that go against everything a "classic car" should be, why not buy a Porsche Boxster, trust me, ive owned a few, much better daily cars, get in turn the key, electric roof, glass rear screen (post 2002) air con, power steering etc etc. the list goes on. and for around 7k you can get a wonderful 3.2l Boxster S

and secondly

"The enthusiast" those people who want to be taken back in time to a place long forgotten and misunderstood, one who loves getting involved with the car, keeping it alive and putting the love, time, effort and money into keeping it on the road. they appreciate the 46 year old dash/dash/carpets/steering wheel/indicator arms etc etc as not "tatty" and worn but "aged" or "matured" a person who enjoys living with a "classic" they enjoy the old "classic car" smell they want to be part of the cars history.

now, maybe I'm the problem, and I am beginning to think I am! maybe my age is the problem, I am almost 39 years of age and starting taking a keen interest in classics when I was around 24/25 , I had a baby boy with a girl on the way, no time or money for a car like this, so ive had to wait, iv had to wait 12 years to get my hands on a 46 year old car,

my restoration was never going to include new dash parts, new carpets and NEW EVERTHING. it was always going to allow the car to be a "classic" the only goal was to get the car back on the road, fix everything that needed to be fixed (the seats and the roof were part of the restoration) get the car running beautifully and give the car another 20 years or so of life before someone else needed to give it another overhaul.

now before I get a barrage of comments about how I judge people and how I don't know them and so on, lets just jump back to the Michaels comment about chassis off? if I had take the chassis off and engine out and boot floor done along with the seat (not seats only 1 is tatty) and the hood we wouldn't be talking about a 20k car let alone the 15k some people have suggested my car is worth, we would taking £30k plus,

I guess Mark from Mark classic cars summed it up.

people want a 30k car for 20k, they don't want an honest car for honest money.

if someone is serious about my car it can be viewed and can be put on a ramp, there are no "other issues or what else" I will answer any questions buyers have, they can speak to the garage who did the work, they can speak to body shop who did the paint and fabrication, they can speak to Revington TR where all the parts were supplied from, Rob knows me very well now.

as I have said many times, the car is solid, genuine, and runs and drives beautifully, how many TR6's that are currently for sale at sub 20k can say they have just had so much time and money spent on them.

lastly, I would like to thank everyone for their insights, thoughts and opinions. I genuinely appreciate it, restoring this car has been a wonderful experience one I am pleased to have been part of, I have learnt a lot (about the market, buyers and expectations)

I hope you all enjoy your TR6's and that you have many happy years driving them.

Edited by Petrol-Head

Hi PH,

there is no real problem about not taking the body off the chassis. If it has been checked over then what else can you do.

There are plenty of £30K cars out there - the trouble is 'beauty is only skin deep'

Your pictures help to see under the skin.

Sort out the things people have commented on and your away.

Roger

PS - never try to compare a TR with a modern car. My '67 4A has a glass rear screen (surrey top).

It starts on the button.

Has been around Britain twice - 200 2000 miles in 48Hrs each time

Will cruise at 80+ when plod is not watching

Warm and cosy

AND I can take it down to its component parts in a few days and put it back together.

They are what they are.

You get to love 'em

Roger

Edited by RogerH

PS - never try to compare a TR with a modern car. My '67 4A has a glass rear screen (surrey top).

It starts on the button.

Has been around Britain twice - 200 miles in 48Hrs each time

Will cruise at 80+ when plod is not watching

Warm and cosy

AND I can take it down to its component parts in a few days and put it back together.

They are what they are.

You get to love 'em

Roger

Hi Roger

I think you mean the RBRR (absolutely great Club Triumph event) - 2000 miles in 48 hours, underselling yourself!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Roger

I think you mean the RBRR (absolutely great Club Triumph event) - 2000 miles in 48 hours, underselling yourself!

Cheers

Ian

No Ian, I've seen Roger drive that old nail of a TR4A and he was right first time.................. :D

Cheers

Andrew

however that said, the chassis is solid, its been checked over and there are no issues so why attack something you don't need to

Just another heads-up, have you done the necessary improvements and strengthening to the chassis? That's something any new purchaser will want to see. Also, when you had the respray done did they take the wings off and spray all around? Where the rear wing meets the rear deck and the front wing meets the front scuttle is an area that water gathers and ultimately rusts unless done properly. These seams also need to be sealed, although less of an issue with the earlier cars that had a weather strip fitted. Mine is a later one with no weather strip but will have a sealant applied (just one of the jobs needed when I get it back from my mechanic post-MOT).

I presume you've already seen the TR6 buyer's checklist? http://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr-buyers-guides/triumph-tr6 If not, it might be worthwhile a review of it while looking at the car to see what buyers will have in their mind when first looking at your car. The most important message to get across is that, yes these are 40-odd year old cars but, you should avoid giving a buyer any reason whatsoever not to buy your car - first impressions last.

The Flickr album is doing the car no favours . . . . . it's a jumble of original pre-restoration, during restoration, and post restoration shots in what seems to me like a pretty random order. For sure the car is not being shown at its best.

As for restoration quality and priorities, there's not a lot of merit in seeking opinions from guys who have been restoring TRs for, in some cases, 4 or 5 decades . . . . . . and then getting upset by their honest responses. It ain't easy making money in the motor trade, not in the real world, as many a speculative restorer, amateur and professional, has found to his or her cost.

There is a world of difference between a 'body on' and a 'body off' restoration, and I'm currently in the middle of the latter. Having stripped down the TR4A to the last nut and bolt and removed body from chassis, I wouldn't ever consider a 'body on' restoration again . . . . fine when the cars were a few years old, but not these days.

Your TR6 should be worth in the teens of thousands, but without a close inspection and test drive it is impossible to put a realistic value on the car - as has been previously noted, the devil is in the detail.

Cheers

Alec

The Flickr album is doing the car no favours . . . . . it's a jumble of original pre-restoration, during restoration, and post restoration shots in what seems to me like a pretty random order. For sure the car is not being shown at its best.

As for restoration quality and priorities, there's not a lot of merit in seeking opinions from guys who have been restoring TRs for, in some cases, 4 or 5 decades . . . . . . and then getting upset by their honest responses. It ain't easy making money in the motor trade, not in the real world, as many a speculative restorer, amateur and professional, has found to his or her cost.

There is a world of difference between a 'body on' and a 'body off' restoration, and I'm currently in the middle of the latter. Having stripped down the TR4A to the last nut and bolt and removed body from chassis, I wouldn't ever consider a 'body on' restoration again . . . . fine when the cars were a few years old, but not these days.

Your TR6 should be worth in the teens of thousands, but without a close inspection and test drive it is impossible to put a realistic value on the car - as has been previously noted, the devil is in the detail.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec

I have no idea why the order is jumbled up in the flicrk album but yes I agree, I uploaded the phots immediately after they were taken and used to be in that order, It was clear to see what was before, during and after

I am not getting upset at the comments, the only comment I thought was stupid was the one regarding the filler, it was just a random pop at the car and nothing else

as you rightly said, its not easy to make it in the trade and its no longer something I will be looking at doing going forward, mainly because my "arrangement" is no longer viable.

this debate could go on all day, I have my opinion and every one else has theirs, I don't think we will ever agree.

my car is not being compared to other cars like for like, weather people agree or not is almost as irrelevant as how much its worth.

a member on here recently sold (I know coz I went to see it) a 1972 TR6 (basically the same car as mine) but it was rotten, needed new doors/wings/sills/roof/dash/carpets the list could go on, the engine was turning over but it was rough. he got over 12k for it. how can mine be worth 15k on this basis?

A 1 OFF. I hear you say, really, what about the 30k car that went through a classic car auction in Sept last year, or the 2 x 24k cars that sold at later auctions.

that's 4 cars that I know of personally that have brought massive money for what they were (save the 30K which was a special car)

so 3 cars in 3 months, all 1 offs yeh? the cheapest on Autotrader is over 21k, the only sub 20k cars I can find are old restorations

here's another point.

lets say I get the roof and seat done, the "enthusiast" will always find something wrong with the car, its not got leather interior, its not got mohair hood, it didn't have body off, it hasn't had engine out etc etc

I the only way to avoid this is rebuild the whole car and replace every nut and bolt, bet they would still want it for 20k

Edited by Petrol-Head

That's a very sensible improvement in the photo album layout, well done.

I'd suggest getting the car on a ramp and taking some clear underside shots, which are likely to greatly reassure potential buyers.

We each have our particular preferences and priorities when it comes to matters of originality, patina, charm versus new material and pristine appearance, and you won't please all of the commentators all of the time . . . . . or even many of them, much of the time ! Don't worry about it, you're seeking the buyer who shares your own preferences and priorities that shaped this rebuild, and when you find him he'll be happy to pay the right price.

Patience is a virtue, at any time the market can offer more than a few TR6s for sale, they are not in short supply - so it's very much a case of waiting for the right buyer for a particular TR6.

Cheers

Alec

That's a very sensible improvement in the photo album layout, well done.

I'd suggest getting the car on a ramp and taking some clear underside shots, which are likely to greatly reassure potential buyers.

We each have our particular preferences and priorities when it comes to matters of originality, patina, charm versus new material and pristine appearance, and you won't please all of the commentators all of the time . . . . . or even many of them, much of the time ! Don't worry about it, you're seeking the buyer who shares your own preferences and priorities that shaped this rebuild, and when you find him he'll be happy to pay the right price.

Patience is a virtue, at any time the market can offer more than a few TR6s for sale, they are not in short supply - so it's very much a case of waiting for the right buyer for a particular TR6.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec.

I hope to have pics of the underside early this week.

I will do my best to get some in sunshine.

The photos make the paint look very dull which obviously it's not.

The is again for your input

I am not getting upset at the comments, the only comment I thought was stupid was the one regarding the filler, it was just a random pop at the car and nothing else

The photo you displayed looks entirely like filler is around the headlights and boot seams, etc.

I was merely reacting to that.

Your car looks real poorly in the pre-paint photos that you linked to.

The TR's are hobby cars.

The successful & happy owner will learn to do their own repairs & restoration. It takes a good deal of time (years) and garage space to perform this work.

It is not likely that you will turn a profit on your white TR6, or even that you will recover your costs- in the short term.

It would be best to try to hang onto your white TR6, and enjoy it throughout your life.

They are very rewarding cars in terms of learning, social activity, and driving pleasure.

I hope that you can afford to keep it, and experience the long term enjoyment.

The photo you displayed looks entirely like filler is around the headlights and boot seams, etc.

I was merely reacting to that.

Your car looks real poorly in the pre-paint photos that you linked to.

The TR's are hobby cars.

The successful & happy owner will learn to do their own repairs & restoration. It takes a good deal of time (years) and garage space to perform this work.

It is not likely that you will turn a profit on your white TR6, or even that you will recover your costs- in the short term.

It would be best to try to hang onto your white TR6, and enjoy it throughout your life.

They are very rewarding cars in terms of learning, social activity, and driving pleasure.

I hope that you can afford to keep it, and experience the long term enjoyment.

As mentioned already. We replaced the front wings which incorporates the head light surrounds so even I they did have filler. They are no longer on the car. The approach of if it needs to be replaced, replace it was taken with the entire restoration.

The only items that I didn't get around to was the seat and the hood as mentioned already.

Edited by Petrol-Head

To improve the looks of a TR6 especially a White One remove the Grille and paint behind where the Grille Surround is in a Matt Black,it wouldn’t take you long to do 3/4hrs and it really highlights the front of the Car,if you look at your pre Resto Photos you’ll see where it should be painted Black.

To improve the looks of a TR6 especially a White One remove the Grille and paint behind where the Grille Surround is in a Matt Black,it wouldnt take you long to do 3/4hrs and it really highlights the front of the Car,if you look at your pre Resto Photos youll see where it should be painted Black.

Thanks I will certainly look into that.

Sounds like a nice improvement

To improve the looks of a TR6 especially a White One remove the Grille and paint behind where the Grille Surround is in a Matt Black,it wouldnt take you long to do 3/4hrs and it really highlights the front of the Car,if you look at your pre Resto Photos youll see where it should be painted Black.

If you are paying other businesses to work on your restoration, you are most likely already spending the profit there is to be had. I think TR's restored to driver condition are restored for the pleasure of the activity and the enjoyment of the drive. It is a hobby, not an investment.

All the best.