Hi, I have a 1966 TR4A which has a standard exhaust system with the crossbox silencer at the rear, the exhaust is steel with the exception of the crossbox silencer which is stainless steel, the y section which connects to the front manifold is cracked and I am thinking about replacing the complete system for a pheonix stainless steel one retaining the original manifold, my dillema is do i go for the crossbox or change it to the twin pipe system as i quite like the look of the twin pipe outlets, although a bit concerned about how the twin pipes are supported. Is there brackets that support the silencers or do they have to be manufactured.

Cheers

They are supported by 2 armored rubber straps that attach to the rear cross tube. They are available from the usual suppliers or make your own. While opting for twin pipes, consider that back wind depression will send exhaust fumes into the cockpit, not a problem if you have a surrey but it is a problem if you haven't and drive with the roof down. In this case the cross box is a better choice as it sends the fumes sideways.

They are supported by 2 armored rubber straps that attach to the rear cross tube. They are available from the usual suppliers or make your own. While opting for twin pipes, consider that back wind depression will send exhaust fumes into the cockpit, not a problem if you have a surrey but it is a problem if you haven't and drive with the roof down. In this case the cross box is a better choice as it sends the fumes sideways.

Not applicable on 4a only the 6`s suffer this due to the Kamm tail.

You will find slightly less ground clearance with the twin pipes unless very careful fitting of the boxes can be achieved

Stuart.

Hi Baz, Phoenix are well made but quite a bit louder than standard systems. Too loud for us on long motorway journeys but a compromise is the TR 250 twin outlet cross box in SS. Has single inlet pile and more flow and crisper note from twin outlets

Chris

I replaced the front twin pipes that connect to the exhaust manifold with a single SS pipe all the way.

Cut the top mounting plate off the twin pipes and welded a 2 into one collector onto the modified plate.

I run 2 mufflers, small one at the front and larger at rear with single exit pipe.

If you like the look of twin exhaust pipes poking out under the rear, use a rear muffler with 2 exit pipes.

Mines an SS Systems twin pipe stainless exhaust. It comes with a central silencer box and then another box in each of the twin pipes. Okay system at a decent price. I have however caught the front central box twice and had to replace it once. Bought from London TR Shop. I'd thought about going for the Phoenix system but was slightly put off due to the noise concerns - don't want to wake the neighbours when coming home late. Reading old posts they used to do quieter and louder versions but no longer do.

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had the standard twin pipe in S/S since 1986 although the standard for a '67 car is crossbox. . I have always thought my exhaust looked good but sounded tinny and driving other 4a's with X boxes the sound is deeper and throatier. I have just bought the standard front "Y" piece to replace the front silencer to see what the difference would be. If this proves to be too noisy then I will replace the twin boxes with an X box. I think other 4a owners have done the same; is it really too loud? I like the idea of Chis's to put the phoenix TR250 X box as it has single pipe inlet so no major mods but wth the nice looking side twin exhausts. Chris, does t sound like a TR5?

Simon

Edited by PYU940F

I did away with the front resonator Simon and the twin pipe system isn*t too loud imo. Indeed I*ve had compliments on the sound.

* = insert apostrophe here.

Edited by peejay4A

I have had the standard twin pipe in S/S since 1986 although the standard for a '67 car is crossbox. . I have always thought my exhaust looked good but sounded tinny and driving other 4a's with X boxes the sound is deeper and throatier. I have just bought the standard front "Y" piece to replace the front silencer to see what the difference would be. If this proves to be too noisy then I will replace the twin boxes with an X box. I think other 4a owners have done the same; is it really too loud? I like the idea of Chis's to put the phoenix TR250 X box as it has single pipe inlet so no major mods but wth the nice looking side twin exhausts. Chris, does t sound like a TR5?

Simon

I use the x/box and the car is quiet to drive, but does still have a pleasant raspy exhaust note at certain RPM. It's also correct for my '67 4A car.

I would normally reserve a twin exhaust for a V engine and always think it looks too over the top for an in-line 4 pot, but not everyone has the same taste I know.

Kevin

Thanks for the comments. The twin pipes were standard '65 and '66. Apparently some time in '67 they switched to X box with single exit, perhaps in anticipation on the TR5 (although I think this had twin exit pipers). Will fit the non silenced Y piece and report back. Only question is do I crawl underneath and graze my knuckles and forehead, along with varying degrees of swearing or pay £50? to my local Mr. exhaust. No contest I think.

Simon

John Morrison re CB.

I have my cb fixed under the grab handle on the passenger side of the car, the cable then runs between the carpet and underlay into the boot. Then through the rubber grommet with the number plate light supply, the bracket is fixed to the bumper iron to the chassis with a additional earth to body.

Mike

Redrose grouppost-9337-0-50767100-1519646803_thumb.jpeg

• 3 years later...

Good that this old post was rescued. I also have twin pipes in my 1966 TR4A which I also believe were standard fit in that year, and have experienced the issue that Geko mentioned: I get some exhaust smoke blow back into the cockpit when driving roof down. Not sure if this is also an issue for other exhaust configuration. It’s not a big issue if properly carbureted and once warm, but I was wondering if there is a way to avoid it, other than fitting a Surrey top or a mesh screen

For anyone bothered about original appearance the change on the 4A from twin pipes to cross box was made at CTC70000 ~ July 1966. Fifty years ago I fitted two PECO big twin rear silencers to NGP 86D, I fondly imagined people might think I had a V12 under the hood! The exhaust note was wonderful through the gears but unfortunately there was a kind of reverberation at ~ 3000rpm that was tiresome when motorway cruising.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...