Door mirrors - flat or convex?

The advantage of the single hole fixing is you do get a greater range of movement rather than having to swivel the mirror to its maximum which is often the case with the two hole fixed type. Moss do a repro which is showing as in stock unlike Rimmers.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/door-mirror-flat-chrome-622352.html

Stuart.

Yes good point stuart, + on top of, it is possible with the same arm (and single hole) to find different mirror shape round, square and as well the trapeze one like the TR5/250 boot badge I suggest.

At least for my TR6, to increase the rear side view range, I dropped the bullet type two holes mirror in the '90 and moved to the single hole.

Regards

• 11 months later...

Alf, that long - crikey! 

Well, I'm sorry to report that I'm no further advanced having been directed to commence construction of a new deck for the house leaving little time for fettling the TR which at this stage is in more urgent need of a rebuilt alternator than a set of mirrors. 

I currently have three sets to hand, the latest purchase being a set of convex MH3C items from URO Parts.  These are the most likely to be retained, although when I'll actually be able to bring myself to fit them (i.e. drill holes in the doors) is still an unknown.

Worth a look, they're nicely made and quite compact.

Gavin

2 hours ago, KiwiTR6 said:

Alf, that long - crikey! 

Well, I'm sorry to report that I'm no further advanced having been directed to commence construction of a new deck for the house leaving little time for fettling the TR which at this stage is in more urgent need of a rebuilt alternator than a set of mirrors. 

I currently have three sets to hand, the latest purchase being a set of convex MH3C items from URO Parts.  These are the most likely to be retained, although when I'll actually be able to bring myself to fit them (i.e. drill holes in the doors) is still an unknown.

Worth a look, they're nicely made and quite compact.

Gavin

Presumably like these Gavin? https://www.uroparts.com/uro/inventory/show/6351

Stuart.

OK thanks Gavin, I don't the mirrors at the top of the list either. I keep kicking that one down the road as I know I should really rebuild the doors, replace seals, winder mechanisms  etc.

I hope to finish the full rebuild of the drivetrain by July But heh, mirrors always in the shadows....

Thanks Stuart, I had a look at those but still torn between the ones you have and the Tex versions.

will close the thread out for another year Gavin...?

Cheers,

Alf

Hi All

Not really thinking about mirrors yet, still got way too much to do and probably should be doing it now!!!

But reading this made me think, were door mirrors, either drivers or PDM, ever a standard fitment or a dealer fit accessory only?

When I picked my car up in the early 90’s there were no mirrors fitted and no evidence of fitting, like holes.

So on a new TR6 what would have been the correct fitment? A specific BL part or whatever the dealer had kicking around.

I think I favour the 70’s standard looking BL offering I’ve seen on Marinas and Allegro’s (shock horror), but kind of undecided. Are these the Tex ones I see are available?

Cheers Keith

16 hours ago, silverfox4 said:

OK thanks Gavin, I don't the mirrors at the top of the list either. I keep kicking that one down the road as I know I should really rebuild the doors, replace seals, winder mechanisms  etc.

I hope to finish the full rebuild of the drivetrain by July But heh, mirrors always in the shadows....

Thanks Stuart, I had a look at those but still torn between the ones you have and the Tex versions.

will close the thread out for another year Gavin...?

Cheers,

Alf

More than likely Alf.  With the demands of my business and the need to complete my house that I started building 30+ years ago, there's not going to be much spare time to work on the TR in the foreseeable future ☹️

• 8 months later...

I finally got around to fitting door mirrors - the third set I've purchased before finally taking the dive and drilling holes in my pristine doors!

I think they look nice and the driver's one gives good rear visibility, the passengers side not so good for the driver as there's not enough movement in the socket to get the correct angle.  I can live with that, I think?

Gavin

15716946823591.jpg

15716947137362.jpg

15716947138163.jpg

38 minutes ago, KiwiTR6 said:

I finally got around to fitting door mirrors - the third set I've purchased before finally taking the dive and drilling holes in my pristine doors!

Brave man!!  Good job.  I would like a passenger side mirror...I think.

Graham

WOF due next month... Good luck Gav ;)

Let me know how the mirrors go.  I recently fitted Tex style from Rimmers or Moss (forget which) and I honestly think they flap more than a bloodhound's ears in the wind...

On 10/24/2019 at 7:22 PM, matttnz said:

WOF due next month... Good luck Gav ;)

Let me know how the mirrors go.  I recently fitted Tex style from Rimmers or Moss (forget which) and I honestly think they flap more than a bloodhound's ears in the wind...

Hi Matt, WOF for mine too in a couple of weeks.

Just been out for a good drive and the driver's mirror is fantastic, a good wide and clear view with ZERO vibration.  Chuffed.

The passenger's side item is a different matter.  Well within my sight but not enough adjustment to rotate it far enough to get a view down the LH side of the car.  I''ve 'massaged' it a little which has improved the angle and it's not far off now.  I could probably persuade it to move it a bit further, but I'll leave that for another day as I have more pressing jobs to complete.

Stuart did make the point earlier on that mirrors with a single bolt stem have more adjustment than the type I've opted for.  I do prefer the look of these though.

Hi Guys,

Interesting reading re: Wing Mirror options. I am currently restoring the doors for my TR4a. The RH original door has no drillings for a wing mirror, whereas the LH, not originally on the car, has 2 holes previously drilled. 

One of these holes is through into the cavity of the door, the other through the skin forward of the frame. Spacing indicate a Tex type mirror fixing centre. 

My question is, this puts the mirror the maximum position forward on the door. Is this a good position or are they better with the 2 hole fixing within the door cavity slightly further back?  I can easily weld up the 2 holes in the LH at this stage and reposition later, or drill the RH door with holes in a similar position.:mellow:

Thanks 

Rich

On 2/9/2019 at 12:15 PM, Keith66 said:

Hi All

Not really thinking about mirrors yet, still got way too much to do and probably should be doing it now!!!

But reading this made me think, were door mirrors, either drivers or PDM, ever a standard fitment or a dealer fit accessory only?

When I picked my car up in the early 90’s there were no mirrors fitted and no evidence of fitting, like holes.

So on a new TR6 what would have been the correct fitment? A specific BL part or whatever the dealer had kicking around.

I think I favour the 70’s standard looking BL offering I’ve seen on Marinas and Allegro’s (shock horror), but kind of undecided. Are these the Tex ones I see are available?

Cheers Keith

I used the BL Marina type for quite a few years until a rust blister appeared on the bottom of my door skin. The trouble with that type is that the field of view is not very good especially on the passenger door. Having lived in the USA for three years I noticed some TRs with MX5 door mirrors, the base has exactly the same contour as the top of the door skin, so I did the same. You do not have any problems with field of view with them as you have the whole of the road covered behind you, they are fault less when driving in Europe. As a very well known TR restorer said to me who drove my car you can certainly see what is behind you and beside you but the purists will not like them! They also have anti dazzle glass in them and you could fit the eclectic version if wanted.

Bruce.

Well, this is entertaining!  As I've mentioned already I have purchased a few sets of mirrors over the last 12 months before finally making up my mind which ones to use and to actually go ahead and fit them.  I did that last weekend.

Yesterday, I was fossicking through my parts stash looking for the items I removed from my soft top frame and I came across another set of mirrors - the ones I had actually decided I would use.  Oops, too late!

I had a cold sweat going on for a short while (holes already drilled in the doors and all), but after inspection I decided that the ones I had fitted are a better looking set.  The ones with the single bolt fixture that I found may have given me more adjustment on the passengers side as per Stuart's comment but they have an ugly exposed ball clamp arrangement on the front which I'm sure would give problems in the future. The pressing and screws look to be lightly chromed steel rather than stainless.

Matt.  I couldn't resist having another go at the passengers side mirror and with another tweak or two it is now giving me full visibilty down the LH side of the car.  Chuffed!

Images: Mirror I didnt use; upper box for the former, lower for what I've fitted; my first grandchild born on the 18th :)

Gavin

15721184416881.jpg

15721184414710.jpg

15721184417022.jpg

On 10/27/2019 at 8:39 AM, KiwiTR6 said:

my first grandchild born on the 18th

Congratulations! 

Currently small enough to actually fit in the back "seat" of the TR6 I see...  Not for long I bet ;)