TR4 Works wing vent grilles

Yeah true enough...classy aren't they ?

Mick Richards

But the Herald grille is only part of the story, one needs a pair of the correct (i.e. original) vent surrounds to fit into the wings if trying to make the car look like a replica or tribute TR4 Works' Rally car.

As far as I am aware the correct vent surrounds are available only from one source, down on the Somerset Levels.

Ian Cornish

Cheftush had help from Elin to make his wing vent surrounds. in Canada ????????

Formed around a wood block.

https://youtu.be/npcoEt29rQA

From around 11:54.

He did it quick too.

That man deserves a beer...Oh wait, he has one about 14.19

When one sees the amount of work these fellows put into manufacturing the duct, I'm surprised that they didn't purchase a pair from Revington at some £440 inclusive of VAT and that includes the two pieces of grille.

Ian Cornish

When one sees the amount of work these fellows put into manufacturing the duct, I'm surprised that they didn't purchase a pair from Revington at some £440 inclusive of VAT and that includes the two pieces of grille.

Ian Cornish

Ian,

Most likely because there time is free, they have all the equipment and the material cost around £10 :) But agreed, if an item is on the shelf and it works!!

Tom

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

I thought about it but when you convert Sterling to Canadian that works out to about $765 Canadian. Add in shipping and they would be well over $800 Canadian. I already have the herald grill....and yes, I know they could be purchased without the grill :-)

Anyway, we are working our way through it any having fun. I think so far they have cost about $20 to make and a few beers consumed :-)

Hopefully, they will turn out ok in the end....if they don't, that's what W elders are for!

Cheers

Tush

And....an update on the ducts...

Again, we are learning as we go...we made some smaller ducts and moved them down in order to clear the body line in the fender. I think we will be ok now.

We will fit all the panels up including the bonnet and doors before we cut the holes in the fender. So, this will be a little ways down the line.....

https://youtu.be/dXvOJu6zbb8

Cheers

Tush

If you want to make the vents like the factory did it, get a copy of the book "The Works Triumphs" by Graham Robson and look on page 116. There is a nice picture of the vent tunnel angling down to clear the fender ridge. The grill also mounts in the tunnel and not in the fender. The fender mounts flush up to the grill.

Dean

I always liked the 'Zoom Prototype' vents. I have never seen these attempted on a TR4 / 4A by anyone?

post-11421-0-33373200-1517379003_thumb.png

Those may have been much easier to re create actually. :-)

I'll do it on the next one!

Cheers

Tush

Tush

Do one of each on each side and see if Elin notices ???

Hamish Racing (youtube)

Ian

Do you have a close up or can you explain how the grill is attached and held in place , I have the Herald grill and are about to start shaping the grill but was wondering how it is held in place.

Cheers jim

WING VENTS IN WORKS’ TR4 RALLY CARS

The aperture in the outer wing panel is folded inwards a short distance.

A matching aperture is cut into the inner wing panel.

The section of Herald grille has 6 horizontal bars, and the 2nd and the 5th have their ends turned inwards so that self-tapping screws from the outside of the “box” can secure the ends of these bars. This means that, from outside the car, the grille appears unsupported.

The “box” is fed into the aperture in the inner wing and fits around the outside of the return on the outer wing.

The “box” is secured to the inner wing by 4 (or 6) screws entering sideways from inside the engine compartment – two on the verticals and, in the case of the left-hand “box”, a further two at the top (see photos from inside left- and right-hand wing, respectively). I suspect that the extra pair of screws on the left where added in the repairs after I had managed to bend that wing in July 2000 on my way to Malvern for an IWE (silly me)!

I apologise for the quality of the photos - I am no photographer (that's obvious!).

Ian Cornish

post-4157-0-15587500-1517933485_thumb.jpg

post-4157-0-73217800-1517933493_thumb.jpg

I didn't undertake this work, it was done by Revington TR when the car was re-built, using the original parts.

There is no fixing of the "box" to the outer wing - I surmise that it's just a very good fit.

Actually, it would spoil the look of the thing if there were screws visible on the outer wing (fender) outside the grille.

And that's what's clever about the 4 fixings for the grille, they are completely invisible from outside the car and one has to look hard to see them from inside the engine compartment as they are very small.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Another one of those cases where there is considerable work to make something look neat and simple.