TR6 Roll Bar

​Hi Guys

I need a bit of help / advice, I purchased a " Narrow Alloy Roll Bar " from Rimmers code " RR1150NARROW " it came with no fitting instructions, when I tried to fit it there seems to be bits and pieces in the way under the car making drilling the holes fitting the back plates nearly impossible. I realise I am not the first person to fit one of these so if any of you experts can help me with some advice on how to proceed and may be some pictures or diagrams it would be much appreciated.

​In anticipation

Nigel ( Nibbo )

Nobody interested in helping me ??

Hi Nigel,

Well done for fitting a roll bar, this one doesn't have a diagonal (which gets in the way) but then stops the hoop lozenging but nevertheless this is a step forward for your safety. (try fitting an alloy rear firewall behind that poxy hardboard fitting closing off the cockpit), it's the only thing between you and 10 gallons of flaming petrol ! ...crispy.

As to fitting the Aley twin hoop bar it obviously fits on top of the rear occasional seat floor area (shape your seat if fitted to allow it)and secures through the wheelarch sideways at the back fitting and through the shell vertically on the front hoop.

I don't have a TR6 or independent suspension car so at that I'm starting to struggle, the driveshafts obviously traverse the car and there will be connections for the diff to bodywork, and trailing arms to subframe mounts, I would have thought remove rear wheels and go underneath with the trailing arms on full droop and see what access can be gained. Depending upon where the hoops are positioned you may be able to avoid any trailing arm subframe mounts...or not, why not try posting this same request in the Tr4a section where more people can view it, maybe the Twin hoop system is not the roll bar model fitted by many in the TR6 section ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi Nibbo, I have just bought two 'hoop' type roll bars from TRGB which I receive today by snail post. I may well have the same fitting probs as you. Drop me a PM with your email address and we can exchange photos, I always like a challenge. Cheers Clem

I have fitted one of these. Fairly straight forward. Just jack the car up and put on axle stands at the rear. Remove the wheels. Slot the bar in place. Check the hood can still be raised. Adjust if needed. Mark where the mounting holes go. Then drill a pilot hole. I enlarged this with a step drill. Fit the bolts and spreader plates and you are done.

Cheers

Tim

As to things being in the way, yes it is a bit tight. But shouldn't be an issue.

Hi Nibbo, I have just bought two 'hoop' type roll bars from TRGB which I receive today by snail post. I may well have the same fitting probs as you. Drop me a PM with your email address and we can exchange photos, I always like a challenge. Cheers Clem

If they are for a 6 you’ll have no problems,only your Seat reclining position will be compromised.

Not sure about that style of bar, but if the rear mounts bolt through the shelf it really helps with ridgidity if backing plates are fabricated with a 90deg bend so that the plates can also be bolted through the chassis crossmember as well as the shelf.

Plus, agree on checking that the top clears the bar as some shimming may be required to cant the bar forward slightly.

Hood! gosh I don't even have carpets in yet! However a good tape measuring and comparison to my wife's TR6 should be ok!

+1 for checking the fit with the hood - my roll bar was fitted by the PO and one of the hood bars just catches the rollbar and has started to take the vinyl off. I have seen others with the same issue. As Tim says, you should be able to access everything with the wheels off.

Have Fun!

Steve

Hood! gosh I don't even have carpets in yet! However a good tape measuring and comparison to my wife's TR6 should be ok!

You shouldn’t have Hood problems with the Hoops but when folding the Hood in the Flat Position you’ll have Fun,Don’t forget also your Tonneau will be Redundant unless you do a lot of modifying.

Thanks Guys, will just take the bull by the horns and fit it....unfortunately I haven't got the hood fitted yet so need to do that first ;) can't wait to get the car back on the road....been to long lol

Once again cheers for advice....fingers crossed

Nigel ( Nibbo )