Laycock clutch

Hi All

When I acquired by CR series TR6 it was in boxes. I have slowly started to sort out what I have and what I don't.

There was no clutch at all. I have just purchased a second hand Laycock clutch cover from my local Vintage car club.

Can anyone advise if a Borg and Beck clutch plate can be used as I don't have one that can be sent away for exchange.

The clutch plate would be a 8.5x 10 x1.25

What are the differences between the two - would I be able to find a suitable aftermarket one as no one seems to have even a second hand one. Also a bit more difficult being on the other side of the world. I could not find anything in other threads on this.

Regards

Brian

Hi All

When I acquired by CR series TR6 it was in boxes. I have slowly started to sort out what I have and what I don't.

There was no clutch at all. I have just purchased a second hand Laycock clutch cover from my local Vintage car club.

Can anyone advise if a Borg and Beck clutch plate can be used as I don't have one that can be sent away for exchange.

What are the differences between the two - would I be able to find a suitable aftermarket one as no one seems to have even a second hand one. Also a bit more difficult being on the other side of the world. I could not find anything in other threads on this.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian! the nearest thing to a Laycock clutch is a Luke made clutch but it will have to come from the USA, as some of the TR US Spares suppliers have got Luke over there to remanufacture. Luke bought the Laycock UK Division but they stopped manufacture of TR6 clutches in Europe as they could not sell them? what a pity, it would have saved a lot of aggro for people here. Also INA which is a bearing division of there's produced a version of the RHP thrust bearing which was fully sealed so that the grease does not fly out, like the RHP bearing. Try the Roadster Factory in the USA? Good Luck.

Bruce.

Hi All

Regards

Brian

My car has run with a Laycock cover and B&B friction plate for many years.

Just be sure the bolts that hold the cover to the flywheel are the correct (shorter) length, as the flange of the Laycock cover is thinner than the original B&B cover - OR drill the holes deep enough and re-tap. (5/16 x 18 UNC x 3/4" hex headed screws are used. - test by screwing the screws into the flywheel without the clutch cover fitted to see if they go all the way down without the threads bottoming.)

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT