Vredestein TTrac 2 tyre availability - bargain !

TTrac 2 tyres in 165/80x15 have been in short supply for several months.

Now back in stock at Camskill, an online tyre supplier I find eminently satisfactory.

Link - https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s408p125635/Vredestein_Tyres_Car_Vredestein_TTrac2_Vredestein_T_Trac_2_-_165_80_R15_87T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Excellent tyres for any TR2-6 on 15" wheels in my view, and at the current price, a bargain . . . .

£40.90 apiece inc vat, a set of 5 delivered to my door in a couple of days, came to just under £225.

Usual disclaimers.

Cheers

Alec

I have these on my 914. Simply a good tyre. Lacks the classic look of the Sprints, but that comes at a price (here: +40%)

Menno

The T-Trac is a very usable tyre - works well on my 4A.

I previously had the sprint fitted but have noticed that they have rocketed in priced. End of last Summer they were in the region of £80. Today they are £103.

Roger

Thanks for that Alec.

I am in the market for a set of tyres for my TR2. The ones that I am replacing are the Sprints which have been very good.

Does anybody know how the T-tracs compare with the Sprints apart from the big difference in price?

Regards, Colin

I have Sprints on my TR3 and T Trac 2 on my TR4. Ive swapped the wheels in the past and can report that there is no noticible difference in performance between the two.

The sidewalls on the T Trac 2 have a nasty cross cross pattern which I dont much like and it looks worse when they are polished???? so they will stay matt in future.

Hi All,

The speed rating for tyres fitted on a TR6 should be "H" rated.

When I put my TR6 on to Historic vehicle plates here in Spain the ITV or MOT station ruling is that the tyre size and rating should be as it left the factory.185x15x "H". Yes the cost nearly doubles for the "H" rated, I paid over €100 for each Vredestein Sprint tyre in 2016..

Surely in the UK, Having "T" rated tyres fitted on a TR6 would affect the insurance premium or even invalidate it. Or am I wrong?

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

I haven't tried a back-to-back comparison between the T-Trac and Classic Vredesteins, but having driven on both types on different occasions they seem a good enough TR tyre for my liking. The wet weather performance of the T-Trac seems exceptional to me, comparable to the Uniroyal Rain Expert tyres which are also available in some classic sizes.

Several owners who have changed from Classic to T-Trac, and vice versa, have commented to me that they found little to choose between them - referring here solely to TRs, and I wouldn't wish to extend those opinions to other marques or models.

Camskill offer a set of 5 x T-Trac2 for £225, compared to the 5 x Sprint Classic at £537 . . . . that's one heck of a difference, especially when you consider that many TR owners covering a modest annual mileage will be changing tyres on age grounds, long before they run out of tread depth . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Hi All,

The speed rating for tyres fitted on a TR6 should be "H" rated.

When I put my TR6 on to Historic vehicle plates here in Spain the ITV or MOT station ruling is that the tyre size and rating should be as it left the factory.185x15x "H". Yes the cost nearly doubles for the "H" rated, I paid over €100 for each Vredestein Sprint tyre in 2016..

Surely in the UK, Having "T" rated tyres fitted on a TR6 would affect the insurance premium or even invalidate it. Or am I wrong?

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Yes, Dave, I picked up on the speed rating issue when changing to TTrac2’s last year. If I recall correctly, the T rated tyre is good for up to 118mph, while the TR6 is said to have a top speed of 120mph.

I took up the matter with TRRI and they have accepted, in writing, that they are in agreement with the alteration.

John

Insurers can be refreshingly relaxed about tyre speed ratings, in respect of classic and modern vehicles alike . . . . always providing that the subject has been discussed and agreed with them. The police attitude doesn't seem to be much different, hardly surprising when at least some cars have tyre specs which appear to owe more to deals with tyre manufacturers than common sense.

We've owned numerous Rovers over the past 20-odd years, and the 800s are a case in point . . . . . that the 130bhp cooking Si saloon should supposedly require the same 168mph W rated rubber as the 200bhp Vitesse Sport is ludicrous. There is no comparison between the performance of the two models - maximum speed, acceleration, braking and cornering abilities are poles apart.

The 15" T-Trac should cope more than happily with 4-pot TRs, and for that matter with carb 6-pots . . . . . personally I'd prefer an H-rated tyre on a PI 5 or 6, but then again how often in the UK does one get the opportunity to use the potential performance ? And how many owners would even want to ?

Cheers,

Alec

Does anybody know how the T-tracs compare with the Sprints apart from the big difference in price?

I've been told the Classic tend to squeal more. The T-Trac do seem to transmit some road noise compared to my ancient Firestones, but nothing too onerous. They are very grippy, even in the wet.

Pete

I'm happy with T-Tracs and they seem to suit TRs (well Geoffrey anyway) They have just the right amount of grip to suit my driving style (which is moderate - most of the time but every now and again a mist descends when I see a hairpin -_- ).

What is galling is that I have a brand new pair - still with labels that came with the car but the labels only confirm their age. Delivered to PO in 2010; but probably getting close to their use by date?!

I think for the Camskill price it ain't worth the risk particularly considering the miles we appear to be doing in the old beast! I'll use one as the spare (to replace the seriously ancient 1990 one there at the moment) and start again.