Lightening the flywheel

Hi All

I was wondering what people thoughts were on lightening the flywheel of my 4A. Currently the flywheel, including ring gear, is approx. 23 lbs. I'm not looking to go down the competition route so don't need to get it down to a couple of lbs. However, it would be nice to try and increase the responsivness of the car, but not sacrafice the tick over at idle. Is there an ideal amount to shave off or is it better to leave it stock?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Adam

Adam,

You would need to reduice it a LOT to feel any added 'responsiveness'.

Revington offer an alloy one at 14.5lbs.

The T six cylinder engines varied from a whopping 24lb one on the 2.5 saloon to 'only' on a GT6. I've got mine down to 7kgs (15.4lbs) but I honestly can't tell the difference.

JOhn

Balancing the whole thing (flywheel, clutch, crankshaft, conrods, pistons..) would be more sensible, imho.

My flywheel is 20lbs and it's fine. Most difference in new engine was a result of balancing everything and not having a fan extension on front, they very rarely run true and fitting narrow belt with damped pulley. Done nearly 20,000 miles since rebuild and am pleased with everything as is. Engine built by Carlow Engineering of Benfleet, Essex.

PS. When balancing everything, don't forget the prop shaft.

Chris

Adam,

Unless you went for an ultra-light flywheel, I think you would be

hard pushed to notice any difference.

As Chris says, balancing is far more important and, unless you

have been exceptionally lucky with the factory balancing, you

will notice a much smoother engine, at speed and at tickover.

AlanR

Go the whole hog...

A Fidanza aluminium one which is supposed to weigh 10- 12 lb ish.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fidanza-172441-Aluminum-Flywheel-fit-Triumph-TR4-54-65-All-24-HOUR-SALE/380490598853?epid=195055798&hash=item589701c9c5:g:FmYAAOSw9YNZuHHX

You will probably still have a tick-over as the standard clutch is a lump in itself.

Other peoples comments and experience

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?94078-Lightening-a-stock-TR3A-flywheel

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

That Fidanza is cheap, but yu'll still have to pay VAT on it.

If you must then machining you own might be cheaper. Remove from the rim as far as posible, the hub contributes little to inertia and needs to be strong.

But not as much as this Spitfire 'wheel.

post-535-0-18475400-1516901059_thumb.jpg

This is my Vitesse flywheel:

post-535-0-68663000-1516901203_thumb.jpg

John

Edited by john.r.davies

David Vizard's "Tuning Standard Triumphs over 1300cc" has a section on lightening components, and "How to improve Triumph TR2-4A" by Roger Williams also covers clutches & flywheels.

Ian Cornish

That Fidanza is cheap, but yu'll still have to pay VAT on it.

If you must then machining you own might be cheaper. Remove from the rim as far as posible, the hub contributes little to inertia and needs to be strong.

But not as much as this Spitfire 'wheel.

attachicon.gifVERY lightened flywheeel.jpg

This is my Vitesse flywheel:

attachicon.gifreduced wt flywheel (1).JPG

John

John, what kind of flywheel bolts do you use ? They seems to be hi tensile bolts from ARP, if I'm not wrong ?

Edited by Chris59

Chris.

That is NOT my Spitfire flywheel! I value my ankles too much, and think that one is lightened to the point of being a high explosive!

And I am not enamoured of ARP bolts. Had one give way on a big end last year.

John

I value my ankles too much, and think that one is lightened to the point of being a high explosive!

Well, it's a FLYwheel after all :lol:

Unbrako good thick washers close fit, torqued up as per workshop manual with a dab of blue loctite.

Fit and forget.

Mick Richards

A cast flywheel might break if too much shaved off

before any bad influence is noticed.

TR4 with its heavy crank is such an example.

Like TR6 there are so many heavy components that

the rotating mass is still on the safe side, whatever you do.

Feel free to take material wherever you want but not

weakening it too much. Besides the whole weight it is

more important where to remove material.

The more it is on the outside, the better it is.

I prefer setting some holes at the ouside diametre additionally

where the clutch cover is bolted.

Also the back where the starter ring is settled might be removed.

That is fully unnecessary for stability and the ring can be fixed with

a little weld spot. The proper material is Nickel otherwise weld seam gets hard.

Rebalancing is a must

BASTUCK offers light steel flywheels at good prices.

Steel wheels and ARP bolts is a good and cheap way to go.

I have an ultralight Fidanza in the TR6 and also

the crank lighter and light rods.

The engine seems to have 50 BHP more than it has.

I have to sacrifice that pulling under full load from idle is worse.

Before I could do that from 800 rpm if you have no feeling for the

engine that suffers badly from that.

Now you notice a humming, suggests not to do that below 1400rpm.

It is no problem to let the engine go down to 1000 rpm and accelerate

with part throttle but full throttle seems to be not recommended.

The smoothness is gone but do we need that?

From 2000rpm on only benefits are noticed.

Idle is no problem at all. I have a 290 degree cam and normal idle.

• 1 year later...

Good evening all,

I was reading this post and referring to David Vizard's  book p.93 it says  "The four cylinder engines also have a heavy flywheel. For these engines, you can have one of two different flywheels depending on the type of clutch fitted, the one being heavier by far than the other."  

As I'm wishing to have a lighter flywheel, this would imply using one off the TR4.  However, it was suggested in conversation today that the 4A flywheel has four mounting bolts whereas the TR4 ones have six bolts.  Is this correct ?   Might I also ask if the 4A clutch is better ?  

Thanks,  Pete.

Pete

not sure it’s of any use to you. But this is my 3a lightened flywheel and the conversion to a diaphragm clutch. This needed the flywheel drilling and tapping to take the different clutch. 

36E1B0AA-BC34-45E9-96AC-73FE767A6FAB.jpeg

28C2D62C-4487-4C36-804C-B3A7B7254D43.jpeg

D68941EB-EAB8-44E3-9A7D-AE88C46DC59A.jpeg

Thanks Hamish, that is useful. I'm guessing the 3A and 4 flywheels were the same lighter ones - so the fact that it can be adapted (seemingly quite easily) is good to know.   I presume you've not encountered subsequent issues with this conversion ?

From my days with a Norton Commando I do like a diaphragm clutch, so I would consider that a worthwhile machine-shop expense (I would doubt if I might drill it accurately myself).  I'm told that an engine rebuilder would first balance the crank,  then the crank and flywheel together,  and then the crank, flywheel and clutch all together,  and then these plus whatever pulley / pulley + fan  on the front end of the crankshaft.   So these decisions are best made in advance of actually rebuilding the engine.

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by Bfg

Remember that if you change flywheels you must get the correct starter to match the ring gear on that flywheel.

fact.    The TR 2/3/3A  early  flywheel (shrink on ring gear) as standard weighs about 22 lbs.  the standard late 3A/4/4A (bolt on ring gear) is 30 lbs ish. 
Peter W

ps. The combination I use is early flywheel from Sidescreen TR with 8.5” diaphragm clutch from TR 4A/5/6. Using suitable geared starter for shrink on ring gear. 

48 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Thanks Hamish, that is useful. I'm guessing the 3A and 4 flywheels were the same lighter ones - so the fact that it can be adapted (seemingly quite easily) is good to know.   I presume you've not encountered subsequent issues with this conversion ?

Cheers, Pete.

Hi

i did have concerns about balancing as the old set up was so good. I was having the gearbox/od fixed and for a £30 extra the flywheel was drilled and tapped for the updated clutch. As I do sprints and hill climbs it does get abused so the later clutch copes with tr6 power ...... 

i weighed my flywheel at 8.5kg it was machine lightened in the ‘70’s and put it back in the same place. Thus it’s only the new clutch that is not balanced in the overall scheme. 

Ran all season without problems with the occasional over rev :ph34r:

37A2AE32-BEA9-47AE-AB72-A5126B0EF53C.jpeg

This is going into my next iteration.

image.png.69a2e0353cc74e700a7909375c919f6d.png

Tilton clutch, the plate is sintered bronze, and the steel  'wheel weighs FIVE KILOGRAMS!

Used, the plate should be replaced, but else all in good nick.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

What does that automotive eye candy do to the Tickover John ?

i considered the tr enterprise light flywheel but didn’t jump that way. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4A-Lightweight-Steel-Flywheel-Assembly-can-also-be-used-on-TR2-3-A-4/184011808608?hash=item2ad7f55f60:g:IRYAAOSwEHhcE9q5