Slowly... with the money in advance so you can move it between 2 accounts, but not many people want to give you it that way.

Alternatively if you go to view the car and the seller demands a lump of cash go deposit it in train station left luggage or similar secure (ish) depository, (be inventive) then hide the key until you consider all is well with the vendor.

From seller or buyer neither activity is free of risk and at some part in the proceedings you have to either accept it or decide you need a professional in the proceedings to take the risk (and he definitely is worthy of his time and talents).

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Alas, alas three times alas. But please put your hand up if you have never received an email from my aunt, a poor widow woman who lost her husband in a car accident and who is in dire circumstances and has access to $50 000 000 (fifty million dollars US) which is mine if I give her my bank account number and a copy of my my signature....

James

How frightening this all sounds! ;(

Im with you on that! However, even though eBay is a bit like the Wild West, in a strange way I still feel like I have better (or more) protection going that route than I do using the TR Register For Sale section. It feels like there is more room to be exploited there if a fraudster finds the site - but I may be wrong and Im not sure what the register could do about it realistically.

Thankfully, when this is sorted I have no more cars to sell or worry about!

Michael

Somebodie's coming to buy your car. Ebay might have got him there but it seems like a normal vehicle sale from now on.

True - but.....when I doubted his identity, I spoke to eBay and they checked his past activity and compared it with current, they vetted the comms we had and assessed if it sounded legitimate and what my obligations were, how I was protected. All in all, yes the risk is still mine ultimately but at least if it all goes wrong there is some history there that I was suspicious and took steps to check!

Regards,

Michael

Hi All,

Just wanted to update you on the outcome of all this:

The buyer turned up exactly when he said he would and paid the full amount in cash with no hassle. I did apologise a bit for having been so paranoid and we talked about some of the scams I have seen, (and buyers I have been warned off by eBay even). He seemed genuinely surprised that there is so much suspicious activity to watch out for. I think that coupled with the fact that what is a major amount of money for me is probably not the same for him explains his approach to buying the car versus mine for selling. Anyway, he seemed like a genuine enough chap who now has a TR6 to enjoy so let’s wish him all the best with it.

I would like to thank everyone again who gave such good support and advice throughout the process – does the TR Register proud to have such a good community watching out for each other.

All the best,

Michael.

Hi Dave,

I dont think so. I left the register sticker in the windscreen and copies of some useful, technical comms from the forum and the club in the history file - so hopefully he will be tempted to join up!

Regards,

Michael

Edited by CONCRETE24

Glad it worked out well for you Michael. If you haven't spent the money already, how about buying ... another TR!

Best wishes to you.

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks! Sadly the money is already spent, (restoring a house\money pit)!

For me it was all about 'that' TR6 - now that's gone I don't really have any desire to get another one. Maybe I'll change my mind in a few years - never say never 'cause I still love the marque and have had a Triumph of one sort or another for the last 25 years.

Cheers,

Michael.

So ebay was a good experience?

Hmmm.....

I dont think I would describe it as good in an enjoyable sense, but it was good in a commercial sense. I had so many odd enquiries and time wasters that I found it really useful to have the buffer of eBay messaging between them and me. Arguably I wouldnt have had so many time wasters with a conventional site to have been a problem, I guess I wont know now!

In the end I also found some security in the eBay feedback system and their ability to sense check my buyer was legitimate.

Really, Im not a salesman so am mainly just glad to be done with it!

Would I use it again....probably but I have learnt that the phrasing is very important to avoid confusion e.g pick up within 48 hours and cash on collection or funds cleared in advance and contact me before bidding if you have not viewed would all have helped me.

Regards,

Michael