Hi Helen,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! As you say, I should probably put it in Cars and Classics. I think the weather has probably put some people off, (couldnt have been much worse the whole time I have been selling)!

Maybe this coming week of rain will give way to some spring sunshine and eager TR6 buyers!

Anyway, off to take 4 excited under 10s on an Easter egg hunt now (in the rain) - wish me luck!

Regards,

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I'd appreciate a bit of advice please....

The car has finally 'sold' this afternoon - to a bidder on eBay who has not seen the car or previously contacted me. On confirmation of the win he has now contacted me saying he would like to pay a deposit but cannot pick the car up until the end of May because he is going to Australia for a month! He has suggested paying a holding deposit.

It all sounds a bit 'wrong' to me - anyone have a view on what's normal? My inclination is to give a second chance offer to the nice man that actually came to see the car and just missed out in the auction but am I being too paranoid?

Regards,

Michael.

I think he should of asked if that would be ok first...I think I would offer it to the next buyer ..so long as you haven't taken a deposit.

It all seems complicated...what with e bay rules..I wonder what they would say...as he has made a contract with you .but not paying at the end of may...

Len

Edited by len1

Hi Len and Jon,

Thanks - you have both confirmed what my head is telling me! I have told him he needs to pay\collect by the weekend or withdraw his bid. I would much rather that the buyer has already seen the car and there can be no dispute about what they are buying anyway.

Regards,

Michael.

Hi

I beg to differ a bit. . . take the deposit, wait a month and what is the worst. . he does not show and you keep the deposit.

Just be very-very clear, what the deposit amount is, what the time period to hold the car is and what the conditions of the deposit are. Maybe say, again, very clearly deposit is non-refundable as you then have to re-advertise the car etc etc.

I just think you may be losing a good deal. Just whatever you do, give ZERO until full amount is paid.

Playing devil's advocate here. It's likely he'll pay any deposit through PayPal. If he then decides not to do a deal he can then just file an "item not received" and get his deposit back from them. You're still left to sell the car. Personally I'd give him 24 hours to get the cash to you in full or you're offering it to the second highest bidder. Stay within eBay as they have a nice way of penalising the seller (and the buyer gets away with blue murder!) as well

Hi all,

I contacted the seller and made it clear it needs to be paid for and collected by the weekend. He is going to see what he can do. I think thats fair all round - I think he probably is a genuine buyer now at least but I will breath a sigh of relief when its gone.

Thanks for the support all,

Michael

We recently had a dispute on our eBay Business shop ( 95% of our business is through our website using SagePay for payment)

We did nothing wrong, but the so called purchaser lied and we ended up paying an eBay penalty and PayPal penalty charge.

We do our best to avoid using PayPal but unfortunately it is sometimes unavoidable.

Nigel

I have been around international commerce for all my professional life. I've had dealings with the cleverest of thieves from all,parts of the world. Irrevocable and confirmed letters of credit that wern't irrevocable and were confirmed by the 'customers' own bank. Bankers cheques that wern't.

Your deal smells. Don.t forget that if you take a deposit, under international law you are behoven to the guy to sell him your goods no matter how much he faffs you around.

James

I have been around international commerce for all my professional life. I've had dealings with the cleverest of thieves from all,parts of the world. Irrevocable and confirmed letters of credit that wern't irrevocable and were confirmed by the 'customers' own bank. Bankers cheques that wern't.

Your deal smells. Don.t forget that if you take a deposit, under international law you are behoven to the guy to sell him your goods no matter how much he faffs you around.

James

Hi James,

Yep - Im still treating with caution. Dont worry - I am not accepting a deposit - payment in full or no deal!

Ill let you all know the final outcome - a ridiculous saga!

Michael

Playing devil's advocate here. It's likely he'll pay any deposit through PayPal. If he then decides not to do a deal he can then just file an "item not received" and get his deposit back from them. You're still left to sell the car. Personally I'd give him 24 hours to get the cash to you in full or you're offering it to the second highest bidder. Stay within eBay as they have a nice way of penalising the seller (and the buyer gets away with blue murder!) as well

So don't use Paypal, ask for regular bank transfer, but needs trust both ways,

James

Wow - -that was interesting . . maybe I go back on my first post. Rich

I've experienced similar from buyers and have always managed to reach a satisfactory outcome. And in fact I asked the seller to hold onto my TR for a month (albeit that I paid in full).

It's all about communication and agreement .... and you setting the terms.

Although it's a bit off that he didn't contact you during the auction, I personally would give him a chance (on your terms). BUT you need to bear in mind that electronic payments (be they paypal, BACS etc) can be reclaimed.

I would ask for a cash deposit (10% of purchase price) on the promise to sell by a set date ... by which he must have paid in full or he forfeits the deposit.

This is perfectly legal and generates no obligation for you to sell if he doesn't comply.

I would be very careful about selling to second bidder - whether you like it or not Ebay bids are binding and unless you stipulated that the car must be collected within a finite period, YOU could be seen as breaching terms and if you do not sell, the bidder could take legal action against you.

A bird in the hand is worth about a hundred in the bush !

If the second chance bidder is ready to pay then i’d give him the chance.

I used to think paypal was great for buyers..... bit six weeks ago i ordered some oil from eurocarparts which has still npt been delivered, and paypal rejected my claim for a refund, no reason given.

Good luck with selling, although you will miss the TR......

It's all sounding a bit dodgy to me still:

He has a car transporter standing by....

He needs a copy of all my documents for arranging insurance...

I can contact him at some obscure Hotel at an address in Lincoln (no phone number or surname given)

He is leaving for Australia very early Friday morning so we must sort it by then

I had already given him my address - I have given it again and a copy of just the bits of the V5 you would need for insurance.

I can still see how it could be genuine - but he is not doing himself any favours - no mention of how he intends to pay yet either, (yes I have asked twice)!

Luckily the car is very securely locked away and won't be going on any transporters until I have the cash! The V5 copy I sent has all the DVLA codes obfuscated so can't be scammed easily either.

Helen and Marko have both advised against Ebay - definitely good advice! The car and new owner will probably pop up on here in the near future with a tale of the painfully paranoid buyer he had to deal with! :)

Anyway, I'll keep updating so if nothing else it helps others going through similar at some point.

Michael.

(and yes I will miss it Steve)!

Be very very very careful.

I would not accept anything but cash from this guy. Definitely dont do PayPal.

Edited by stallie

I'd also say go with your gut Michael. I think most of us have a good sense of when something smells fishy, and this does. You've not met the man, he's off out of the country on Friday, he's not seen the car, no address.

If that second buyer, who you met, isn't far off the price (a few hundred), then I'd go with that, providing as Hawk said you are not breaching any Ebay rule. I'd talk with them about that and explain.

There are always people out there ready to stitch you up!

Cheers, Darren

oH...and if he turns up with Tesco Carriers stuffed with notes compare some of the numbers for duplication and swipe across ALL of them with a UV pen to try and check they are not straight off the scanner !

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi All,

I spoke to ebay and they did a basic check. They don't think it is suspicious - but do think I am right to insist on cash in the circumstances. I have had a subsequent explanation from the buyer about who he is and he has provided good proof of identity. He still wanted to use a bankers draft - probably in good faith - but I have seen a few people lose out with bankers drafts under the false belief they are like cash - it would be fine if I received that and then it was in the bank for a few working days but he can't do that with his travel plans.

I'm sure he is a bit miffed at my paranoia - but I don't want my 25 year Triumph ownership to end in tears, (well not mine anyway)!

Marko - if you are out there - please do not laugh at all this, (well only if you are on your own)!

Michael.

A load of gentleman's dangly bits to me, and don't forget that this weekend is a bank holiday. A cash transfer from his A/C into yours, nothing else will do; and then transfer the money into another A/C immediately. Also state on the receipt that he has bought the vehicle unseen, and that you are not responsible for any problems that may arise at a later date, and make him sign it in your presence.

First and foremost, remember that this is a business transaction and not an old pals act.

Jon.

PS As far as I can see there are no early morning departures for Oz on Friday from Heathrow in fact the first is at 0600.

Edited by scousegit

A cash transfer from his A/C into yours, nothing else will do; and then transfer the money into another A/C immediately.

Makes no difference - if a criminal act has occurred you don't get too keep the money (but you could lose your car).