TR4A restoration

• 2 weeks later...

And when you get bored doing you can get hints and tips from those that have done it before

Couple of great YouTube channels

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8MBWMaGHLbGwDrrzbddevA

https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Edited by Hamish

Got the car chopped in half, not a pretty sight. Got the rear on its side and there is not a panel that doesn't need attention. The heel board is half detached already. B posts are scrap, the offside bacl corner has 4 layers of metal on it. The panel above the diff has holes as well from corrosion. THe centre part of it is salvagable but every panell attached is pretty scrap from what I can see. Boot floor is also half rotten and thin, the sides are thankfully a bit better. Big question is where to start to get a datum as most will need to come off. I will probably get the remains blasted to see whats left, started to wire brush it and there was mank everywhere in the garage.

post-15377-0-35408500-1524843473_thumb.jpg

post-15377-0-82309500-1524843477_thumb.jpg

post-15377-0-94845900-1524843481_thumb.jpg

post-15377-0-36203200-1524843486_thumb.jpg

post-15377-0-40158100-1524843491_thumb.jpg

post-15377-0-75968500-1524843495_thumb.jpg

post-15377-0-82073400-1524843510_thumb.jpg

Edited by sulzeruk

Got the car chopped in half, not a pretty sight. Got the rear on its side and there is not a panel that doesn't need attention. The heel board is half detached already. B posts are scrap, the offside bacl corner has 4 layers of metal on it. The panel above the diff has holes as well from corrosion. THe centre part of it is salvagable but every panell attached is pretty scrap from what I can see. Boot floor is also half rotten and thin, the sides are thankfully a bit better. Big question is where to start to get a datum as most will need to come off. I will probably get the remains blasted to see whats left, started to wire brush it and there was mank everywhere in the garage.

Well I would normally say Ive done worse but on this occasion I think thats probably worse than any I have had to do (and I have done some real"Sheds!").

Another shell may well be the way to go unless your very ambitious.

Stuart.

Hi Alasdair,

you asked the question where to start. I'm no expert but I think you need a fully working chassis and then position the floor pans and work from there.

What is the front bulkhead like? If that is equally rusty I would suggest you are on a loser. But if it is a go'er then align that with the floors/chassis.

Roger

PS - perhaps give these folk a call http://www.trbitz.com/parts-and-accessories

Edited by RogerH
  • 2 years later...

Evening gents, have eventually found a much better condition shell eventually which I m going to pick up in 2 weeks time down on the south coast. It will be going to Marks at Wolverhampton for some repair work and to hang the panels as I am still far too busy at the moment as always. I went to have a new 2 post ramped fitted and the installers discovered the concrete floor was only 3 to 4 inches thick unfortunately so will have to dig out 2 1 metre square holes to a depth of a foot and then fit rebar and then concrete the ppads before it can be fitted. While the body is away (with the bare new chassis), I will make a start on getting the chassis parts overhauled and alsoo get the engine, etc in bits to rebuild. My friend runs a paint shopp but will be finishing up in the next year or so so getting the shell completed and painted will be the priority. The new ramp can have the body sitting on it and the chassis built underneath. I also have another 2 post ramp that can assist with getting the chassis built up as well as working on the ground is not the best. Will post some pics when i pickup the body.

Alasdair