Long door TR2 Restoration

A sailing buddy had a Sparksman&Stephens 30', been in his family since new, multiple race winner home & abroad, S&S are wonderful boats & still very competitive in class.

Good luck with your long-door's rebuild John, you're 'over the hump' with her now.

Happy TR-ing,

Pat.

Hi Pat, yes they are great yachts. I don't get to use mine much at the moment owing to my focus on 3 TRs. I try to use take her on a annual two week sail to Lord Howe Island (google it, one of the magical places on the plant). It is 420 nautical miles from Sydney across the Tasman Sea, and usually takes 3 1/2 to 4 days each way. Always looking for crew if you are out here around November.

• 1 month later...

Charles Runyan reported in his email to customers on 14 March that he's going to re-make the long-door TR2 seals.

Also tonight, I was working on the cross-section for the rubber seal that goes onto the sills on long-door TR2s. The seals on the doors of long-door models left something to be desired, but I am going to have the sill seal manufactured now. The sample came from Bill Lynn of VTR a long time ago. I had lost it for a while, but it turned up again, and I am going to act on it. The little piece of original seal was compressed flat, but I revived it somewhat in warm soapy water. Originally, it was one of those sponge seals inside a harder rubber shell. The actual method of making these seems to be obsolete, but we are able to make a modern seal that fills the bill. Actually making the seal will take a few months, but I am getting started now.

Charles Runyan reported in his email to customers on 14 March that he's going to re-make the long-door TR2 seals.

Also tonight, I was working on the cross-section for the rubber seal that goes onto the sills on long-door TR2s. The seals on the doors of long-door models left something to be desired, but I am going to have the sill seal manufactured now. The sample came from Bill Lynn of VTR a long time ago. I had lost it for a while, but it turned up again, and I am going to act on it. The little piece of original seal was compressed flat, but I revived it somewhat in warm soapy water. Originally, it was one of those sponge seals inside a harder rubber shell. The actual method of making these seems to be obsolete, but we are able to make a modern seal that fills the bill. Actually making the seal will take a few months, but I am getting started now.

What sill seal? There may well have been a door seal but I havent ever come across any reference to a sill seal or is he referring to the same thing?

Stuart.

I believe he's referring to the same thing, Stuart. The idea being the seal that bears against the sill.

I will take a set when they are available.