TR4 Brake Calipers

Hi Steve,

Classic car automotive in Cheshire are the guys to talk to. 01625 860910

The reproduction items are pretty good quality and not a bad price either..

Tom

Hi Steve,

Classic car automotive in Cheshire are the guys to talk to. 01625 860910

The reproduction items are pretty good quality and not a bad price either..

Tom

Lovely, thanks Tom I'll call them tomorrow. I've looked at repair kits and there are so many varying prices, I think I'd be better getting it done professionally.

Hi Steve,

I bought a set of new calipers from the TR Shop a couple of years ago and very happy with them.

https://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html

At the time I also got a reasonable quote from Bigg Red for refurbishment, but decided to go with new ones.

http://biggred.co.uk/

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve Priest

Hi Steve,

I bought a set of new calipers from the TR Shop a couple of years ago and very happy with them.

https://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html

At the time I also got a reasonable quote from Bigg Red for refurbishment, but decided to go with new ones.

http://biggred.co.uk/

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers Steve

Looking at the prices there at £60 each they seem pretty reasonable compared to other sites. I'll have a ring around to Bigg Red and Classic car automotive and compare their refurb and direct prices.

Thanks for your help

Hi

My TR4 brake caliper pistons have rusted into the calipers.

Is it an easy job to refurbish the calipers or would I be better getting new/exchange ones?

Alternatively can anyone recommend where I can get them overhauled?

Thanks

Steve

I fitted new calipers with a spacer kit to accommodate ventilated discs some years back as I didn't fancy the caliper re-furb job - all from TRGB and works a treat especially with the servo..

I fitted new calipers with a spacer kit to accommodate ventilated discs some years back as I didn't fancy the caliper re-furb job - all from TRGB and works a treat especially with the servo..

Thanks Mark, Thinking along lines of buying new as not much difference in costs between refurb.

Edited by scv

If you have pukka OE Girling calipers then I'd have those rebuilt rather than replace with new repro . . . . .

I say that having stripped and inspected a couple of pairs of repros two years ago.

Cheers

Alec

Have I changed my mind again? :(

I've rebuilt about 50 pairs of Triumph brake calipers, always using new stainless steel pistons (it's cool to have access to a lathe !)

Never been confident in repros when it's about safety, critical parts.

I've rebuilt about 50 pairs of Triumph brake calipers, always using new stainless steel pistons (it's cool to have access to a lathe !)

Never been confident in repros when it's about safety, critical parts.

Thanks Chris. I think after what Alec and yourself say I'll have mine reconditioned.

When I worked for a motor factors, back in the mid-90s, we utilised Brake Engineering of Wrexham for all our caliper reconditioning - they proved unfailingly reliable over my years of dealing with them, and excellent people to deal with. Need I add that they were by no means the cheapest of caliper reconditioners, but we were concerned about quality, safety and value, not seeking to be the budget basement factors.

My old boss mentioned recently that they are still as good and reliable as they were back then . . . .

Whether they'll supply direct, or if it has to go through a local factor or somesuch I know not, but doubtless they could advise you.

link - http://www.brake-eng.com/en/contact-us/

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle
  • 4 months later...

OK, I had new rubbers and seals fitted to my old calipers as when the pistons were removed they had a fine surface of rust not completely knackered.
The problem I have now is when I pump the pedal a few times the O/side front wheel locks. The other 3 are ok.
If I release some brake fluid via the bleed nipple then it frees straight away.
I have removed the restrictor valve a few years ago, so it's not that that is sticking.
I have put a new flexible brake hose on as well, so shouldn't be that breaking down.
I'm thinking that there is a blockage in the pipe or caliper itself to stop the fluid returning, acting like the restrictor valve.
Any suggestions please?
I may not be able to reply straight away but will do so ASAP.
Thanks in advance.