Ratchet pawl.

Mick Richards

Hi Alan Y ~

Strip the handbrake assembly down and check the ratchet and pawl for wear.

Also check the push-rod to see if it's bent. I completely renewed all the handbrake parts on my 3A.

My push-rod was bent.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

" My push-rod was bent. "

Now now Tom, I'm sure we can all sympathise with your bent push rod, but some problems are best kept between you and your GP . . . . :P:lol:;)

Cheers

Alec

Careful Alec, this is beginning to resemble the banter 'at the bar'............would not want the hierarchy to think we were being frivolous! :ph34r:

Just learn from my mistake and always put it in gear, no matter how good you think your handbrake works. £2000 of damage when the handbrake flew off all by itself on a hot day. My beloved TR3 rolled down the hill and into a building.

Mick

With every car I've owned I've always put them 'in gear' especially the TR.

Car facing downhill ~ select Reverse gear. Car facing uphill ~ select First gear.

Tom.

...and tyres turned toward the kerb, too. In the gear most resistant to rolling and directed to not roll forward is how we were taught to do it over here.

Are you saying you had the car in neutral on a hill relying only on the handbrake, Mick? :wacko:

Some years ago I did resolve the handbrake function issue for Spitfire owners in the Moss Spitfire catalogue.

Items 1-50 were the original hand brake and all its components,

item 51 was part no LBC1 - Brick, replaces all of above - Best bit was people ordered them! Sadly now NLS and removed from the catalogues.

Peter W

...and tyres turned toward the kerb, too. In the gear most resistant to rolling and directed to not roll forward is how we were taught to do it over here.

Are you saying you had the car in neutral on a hill relying only on the handbrake, Mick? :wacko:

Hi Don, it was even more embarrassing that that. It was on barely a slope at the IWE so the car was on full view for the whole weekend. Hangs head in shame.....

Mick