Musical Engine.

Hi John,

I've not actually found the orchestra yet. It's in there somewhere.

I use a long screwdriver as a stetho and it works well - very directional. But I haven't found the source.

I feel it is at the front end of the engine (where the bad tappets are).

So fingers crossed it is to do with cam and tappets.

Roger

Hi David,

no good. I do not have a radio fitted. :o

This afternoon I pulled the tappets and 4 of the 8 had serious galling on the pressure face. #1 & 2 were worse by a long way.

This time last year I did the same and found 3 or 4 in a similar condition. It must be a combination of the cam and followers.

Just come back from Moss have bought a Kent Road cam. The followers are lightened and hardened. Not the Newman chilled tappets but they didn't have them.

This will all go back in on Sunday/Monday. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Roger

Well diagnosed - that shut me up.

Peter W

and all this........

Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br Br

d, d, d, d d, d, d, d

is happening at tick over in the garage? I'm guess the higher the revs the more "overall" racket kicks in and you loose this added tune?

Have you tried dropping the fan belt off (for a short time obviously :rolleyes: ) and listening again.

Does it change when you depress the clutch? (no, this doesn't mean showing it the ashes tour results)

how good is the rocker shaft and bushes?

Hi Nigel,

some good sensible pointers - take note you lot :P

The rocker shaft and rocker arm bushes are nigh on perfect, even after 20,000 + miles.

Clutch position makes no difference.

Too late to remove the fan belt as the engine is in pieces.

The high revs simply changes the mood from easy going folk thro' hip hop to decent rock'n'roll

Roger

mmmmmmmmmm first faux pas of the new year....I didn't press "next" and have now found another page and things have developed!

When you say lightened and hardened are they black in colour with a faint scratch line down the long side? either way I'll send you a pm

yes, blackish, didn't see a line.

They are the TRiumphTune TT1009

Roger

Roger,

I know where I would put them and it wouldn't be in the engine!!

Cheers

Graeme

do they have a drill hole in side (forgot to ask in my pm)

Yes.

Hi Graeme,

have you got history with these tappets. I will be iusing the standard TR4A double valve springs - not too strong.

Hi Mal,

the engine is in the body. I was hoping the problem was in the top end.

I did consider the cam bearings; but they come ready finished to size and the cam should be machined to the correct size. I'll find out on Sunday.

Of course my next major problem is setting the valve timing - I bet the cam hasn't got a timing mark on it.

Roger

Roger

If your road cam isn't fun enough I have a Kent Race cam sat (hardly used as the PO promptly removed it!!) on my shelf looking for a home :D:unsure:

Hi Ben,

I am happy having a road cam in what effectively is a touring car.

Having read the blurb it is slightly more enthusiastic than the standard road cam.

Many thanks for the offer.

I'll need new brakes now. Scrub that I did them last week - this is costing me dear.

Roger

Roger

If your road cam isn't fun enough I have a Kent Race cam sat (hardly used as the PO promptly removed it!!) on my shelf looking for a home :D:unsure:

Wouldnt that race cam be too much of a good thing on a road car ??

Dont they come on song at about 4K revs ?

Roger this rear brake rebuild is becoming serious now !!!

Fitting a new cam over the weekend. Im very impressed at your work rate.

My gearbox is leaking can you fit a fast road /rally cam to my 3a ?

H

Edited by Hamish

Hi Hamish,

the back brakes was a surprise, but had to be done.

The noisy engine has been on the cards for most of 2017.

Changing the cam takes about five minutes - it is the dismantling and rebuilding that takes the rest of the week.

Roger

Well I suppose if it has to be done, this time of year is cold and miserable but doesnt eat into sunny summer driving weather.

Good luck with the work.

H

Wouldnt that race cam be too much of a good thing on a road car ??

Dont they come on song at about 4K revs ?

H

Yes Hamish something like that. Hence it was quickly removed! I often wonder how many end up on shelves. I never experienced it but if the PO couldn't live with it I'm certain I (or Roger) couldn't live with it! Just seems a shame it will remain on the shelf until it rusts......

Yes.

Hi Graeme,

have you got history with these tappets. I will be iusing the standard TR4A double valve springs - not too strong.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Yes, I have had two cams and followers wiped out. Now fitted with a Newman cam and EN40B steel followers.

Apparently Moss had followers supplied to them which were not hardened correctly, I presume a large batch mixed with potentially good ones and consequently you don't know which ones you get unless you do a hardness test. This seems to have affected a large number of suppliers not just Moss.

Maybe they have got the bad ones out of the system now. Perhaps you could do a test on the set you have?

I also found that they are shorter than original or Newman followers, not sure what effect this may have?

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Chris,

The dizzy was rebuilt two years ago by Martin (The Dizzy Doc) and has been shown tp be innocent by substitution.

I keep thinking about the little ends but they were professionally fitted and reamed and feel OK (I took it all apart winter 2016.

New oil pump fitted at same time.

If I can get to the end of Feb I will remove the engine for another full strip down and change anything that stays still long enough.

Roger

After all that it will probably be something like a tie wrap catching on the fan or the prop shaft.

Chris

Edited by potts4a

Roger this all sounds very familiar!

Don't forget to take all the phosphating off those new followers with meths as per the supplied instructions! Also ensure they freely rotate in their tubes. Fettle with wet and dry as per the instructions also :-)

You know it makes sense.....

Good luck

Iain

It is amazing what you have to remove to get the cam out.

Do the brake light bulbs really have to come out :o

Got everything off and pulled the cam forward 2" and found the suspension turret bracing tube is in the way arrrrgggghhhhhh.

Roger

Hi Folks

well I have found where the musicians were hiding - #1 & 2 cam follower and cam lobes. See the exciting pics below.

The present cam was fitted 2 years ago (20,000+ miles)

I checked it out this time last year and had to replace the followers as there was some galling but the cam lobes looked OK.

Clearly they were not below the surface.

As there has been a knocking noise from day one (two years ago) could the cam have been dicky from manufacture !!!

Looking at the present wear/damage you would think that the rocker gaps were moving (getting bigger with wear) BUT they were not.

Could it be that the damage on the cam lobe is after the max lift position !! daft idea.

The new cam has some fairly simple fitting instructions that I shall use. If it all goes pear shape then I also have somegood instructions from John Davis that worked last year.

What I shall do now is to cut a large hole in the side of the engine and fit a window so I can see things going on.

Roger

post-4113-0-57299900-1515336993_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-38015500-1515336982_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-37316400-1515337002_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-82498700-1515337013_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerH