Non Interference Engine?

And it matters because...?

Mick Richards

The reason for this question is that my 4A engine suddenly made a loud clattering engine speed related noise which disappeared after a couple of minutes and did not return during careful 40mph drive home. Thought it was the chain tensioner at first but this has been ruled out. Also removed sump but nothing suspicious found and no visible damage to valve gear. So I wondered if a sticking valve could have hit a piston. But I thought this could not happen on TR 4 pot engine. Hence my question. I have ordered a wifi endoscope and will look for any damage to a piston anyway and will do a compression check soon as I can collect the tester from a fellow club member.

Alan.

Try the water pump pulley, they do rattle loose. When loose they sound like a rattling BE.

Peter W

Too true - an intermittent, scary noise which goes away when the engine is revved so is hard to trace unless you have experienced it before. In my case, the key had virtually disintegrated in the shaft by the time we worked out what was happening.

I'd bet on the pulley too -- good idea, Bob. Those things can make an awful mechanical racket when they're wobbling just a little bit.

"So I wondered if a sticking valve could have hit a piston. But I thought this could not happen on TR 4 pot engine."

What "deck height" are you running ?

Mick Richards

I'd bet on the pulley too -- good idea, Bob. Those things can make an awful mechanical racket when they're wobbling just a little bit.

I'll double check the pulley in the morning. Thanks guys.

"So I wondered if a sticking valve could have hit a piston. But I thought this could not happen on TR 4 pot engine."

What "deck height" are you running ?

Mick Richards

Hi Mark,

No idea I'm afraid. I did rework the head a couple of years ago but did not have it skimmed. I refitted it with a standard gasket.

Alan.

Alan,

Standard composite gasket and a 4 cylinder head that's not been skimmed will be well over 40 thou deck height, unless the valves been depressed mechanically by some other method it won't hit the piston top.

Mick Richards