Hello all and seasons greetings!

Have any of you come across Aspen fuel? I've been reading the Morgan OC mag and there is a letter in there explaining that it's ethanol free and might be especially suitable for machines being stored over winter. The Dutch importer is investigating it's use in classics.

So has anyone used it either in their car or in their lawnmower(!)?

Cheers

Dave

Some of the petrol stations over here offer "pure gas", with no ethanol. It's not available in my area, where the EPA mandates oxygenated fuel and ethanol is the route taken for that. But I'll often fill my cans when I'm in an area, like Atlanta, where pure gas is notalot more than ethanol-containing.

I use it in mower, motorbike, and sometimes in TR if they're not going to be driven for a while. Does it really make a difference? I'm not sure, but the logic around hygroscopicity seems sound from a chemistry standpoint.

i-Zzrs4Lc-X3.jpg

When we had our mower serviced it came back filled with it on the basis that it wouldn't varnish the carb up over winter storage but @£15 a litre we were charged for it won't be rushing to use it especially as I normally run the carb dry before I store the mower. Not tried it in the TR ..........couldn't afford to !

Aspen is promotedfod lawnmowers,perhaps because they sit in the shedfor weeksz at as time. Also for mowers are several fuel stabiliser products: https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=DgNIWpj3KcmRgAa-xrzwCA&sjs=15359&q=fuel++stabiliser&oq=fuel++stabiliser&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0i67j0i7i30l2j0j0i7i30.7493.11495..12421.......447.1593.9j2j1j0j1............mobile-gws-wiz-serp.......0i71j0i13i30j0i8i7i30j0i7i10i30.tGZmyCW9NDA%3D

I use Briggs &Stratton "Fuel Fit"

John

Aspen is pretty commonly used in Holland.

It is Alkylate, which is a very clean petrol made from butane.

I use it at home for the lawnmower (Aspen 4 = Blue, 4-stroke) and chain saw (Aspen 2 = Red, 2-stroke).

It degradates at a much slower rate, can be stored up to 10 years according to Aspen.

Compared to std fuel, it also burns much cleaner, so it does not smell (stink, irritate the lungs) so much and I experienced it really makes a difference.

So I also use it in the summer, our lawn is not the size of a football field.

I leave it in the lawnmover all winter, no issues in spring.

A can of 5 liters costs approx. 22 euros.

A bit expensive to fill an entire tank for your TR for winter-storage though, but if it avoids issues related to winter storage, maybe acceptable?

It is 95 Octane, so not enough for PIs.

Regards,

Waldi

I have heard that the fuel you purchase at marina's (boat) is or may be ethanol free. I do not know if this is the case everywhere.

I have heard that the fuel you purchase at marina's (boat) is or may be ethanol free. I do not know if this is the case everywhere.

Definitely true around here, Graham. Here's one in central Ohio where I've bought fuel in the past. Typically about twice the price of finding it at a normal station, though.

i-wJtj29Q-X3.jpg