Faulty batch of brake master cylinders (just having a rant)

There was a batch of faulty reproduction Brake master cylinders floating about out in the ether a few years ago, I naively assumed the all of the stocks of these had been identified and disposed of, guess who's got hold of a dodgy one !

After weeks of fighting overheating problems caused in part by a poorly manufactured water pump manifold, I finally get the car under its own steam ( pun intended) for its first road test only for the master cylinder to give up on me and spray (well drip really) brake fluid on the nice new paint, and as its cellulose the brake fluid didn't take any prisoners, Hm....... not happy .................but have to say very impressed with Moss as I ordered a new Brake master and servo (what the hell this car has cost me SO much money might as well spend even more) at 14:00Hrs on 21st Dec and received it 08:30 Hrs on the 22nd and that was with standard delivery.

Have to say the fitting of the new parts has not been so swift as they're still in their box on the bench !

Have a Great New Year everybody

There was a batch of faulty reproduction Brake master cylinders floating about out in the ether a few years ago, I naively assumed the all of the stocks of these had been identified and disposed of, guess who's got hold of a dodgy one !

After weeks of fighting overheating problems caused in part by a poorly manufactured water pump manifold, I finally get the car under its own steam ( pun intended) for its first road test only for the master cylinder to give up on me and spray (well drip really) brake fluid on the nice new paint, and as its cellulose the brake fluid didn't take any prisoners, Hm....... not happy .................but have to say very impressed with Moss as I ordered a new Brake master and servo (what the hell this car has cost me SO much money might as well spend even more) at 14:00Hrs on 21st Dec and received it 08:30 Hrs on the 22nd and that was with standard delivery.

Have to say the fitting of the new parts has not been so swift as they're still in their box on the bench !

Have a Great New Year everybody

I know the feeling Graham, the same happen to me! Make sure you keep the old one and have it S/S sleeved as a spare, this is what I did. I was never sure what the problem was with the new one but the second one that I got which was also new did not leak. Hope you get it sorted!

Bruce.

Hi Graham,

was the leaking MC a new one.?

Roger

Hi Roger yes but purchased on line some time ago but to be honest getting my money back will be little consolation for all the hassle replacing it and sorting the paint out is going to be ...........................

Hi Mark,

I think the original problem was leaking between the plastic reservoir and the metal valve body..

Roger

It was also out from the end where it bolts to the servo, there is a telltale hole underneath on an original, Dave IOW modified his with a pipe fitted into that hole and a drain hose to run down underneath by the chassis in case of leaks.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

yes that is right (coming back to me now).

Somebody posted on here to show the tide mark caused by the fluid when the two parts were separated.

Roger

Some of the worst leaking ones weren't bored concentrically others the tipping valve was wrong so one minute you had brakes then the next nothing at all.

Stuart.

Hopefully the dangerous ones are now behind us.

Roger

Hi Mark,

I think the original problem was leaking between the plastic reservoir and the metal valve body..

Roger

Thats exactly what this one was doing

Hopefully the dangerous ones are now behind us.

Roger

I guess it may be better if the dangerous ones are in front of us Roger, lack of footbrakes rarely allows cars to run away backwards.

Mick Richards

Can someone please give me some clues as to how to identify a crap unit. My TR6 has a non TR6 mastercylinder. It was there when I bought the car, dont know where it came from. I have bought a new TR6 type mc to replace it but having read this post I wont fit the new one unless I know it is OK. thanks Bryan

I had one of the rubbish master cylinders on my car for about a year with no problem untill I replaced a wheel cylinder, 50 miles later the master cylinder failed.

On inspection it appears the metal that the MC was made from was so soft that the bore had worn and created a ridge, then when I replaced the wheel cylinder the piston travel altered and damaged the seal on the ridge. Net result large laundry bill and pastparts have a new customer.

George

I know the feeling Graham, the same happen to me! Make sure you keep the old one and have it S/S sleeved as a spare, this is what I did. I was never sure what the problem was with the new one but the second one that I got which was also new did not leak. Hope you get it sorted!

Bruce.

Make sure the sleeve is opened fully around the tipping valve or you could end up with locked brakes as I did!

Gavin

Make sure the sleeve is opened fully around the tipping valve or you could end up with locked brakes as I did!

Gavin

Hi Gavin! Are you saying that that the sleeve hole in your case was not drilled out, to the correct size?

Bruce.

Hi Gavin! Are you saying that that the sleeve hole in your case was not drilled out, to the correct size?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce. Yes, found this after the front calipers locked on not far from home - thanks to a tip from Neil. Stripped the MC for a second time and found the stainless sleeve didn't align properly with the casting thus restricting the tipping valve's movement. Easily fixed, but also easily missed!

Regard

Gavin

Edited by KiwiTR6