TR6 steel wheels

Hi chaps seasonal greetings , im after just a bit of guidance on a sale price to a fellow member and thoroughly great chap (Hi Simon) ,I have a very good set of 4 x 69 tr6 wheels in original condition 12 hole 5.5 x 15 with the wheel trim pedestals, knowing that these wheels had a very limited run for less than 12 months so have a small client base but a rarity value,I know they are appealing to tr5 owners being 1" wider so helping to get more rubber down, any ideas of a reasonable price I should ask. Many thanks Martin.

If you value a pair of Alfins at £1500, then you ought to be able to ask pretty much what you like for TR6 rims . . . . .

Yes they were only fitted for a year, but the demand for Rostyles is not overwhelming, and they're not kosher TR5 or TR250 fitment either.

Apart from which, first find the Rostyles to fit the wheels . . . . .

As a guide, in the past couple of years I've let go a pair of early TR Alfins for £300, and set of 4 TR6 Rostyle fit steel rims for £150, all six items in decent enough but not exceptional condition. They went to the right cars, TRs maintained in relatively original period condition that deserved to regain correct period fitments that had gone astray down the years.

To me, that's part of the raison d'etre of the club . . . . money isn't everything, and what goes around, comes around.

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Good for concours events but little else as their flimsiness tops the lineup among TR wheels. <TR4 wheels are bad enough that way ( runout exceeding the spec of 0.040" more often than not after years of use ) and the 5-1/2" rims exert more leverage on the already weak structure.

I second Alec's point about the Rostyle trims; very, very costly to restore once bent, dented, and gouged which virtually all are. But get a set of these in hand and ask the moon for the package; TR5/250 owners for the most part would love to have them.

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers Tom,yes I think I better get these mounted and a dial gauge measurement, I presume its from the tyre mounting face and not the very outer lip ?

As for the trims, watch this space , 2 mint sets and a cluster of singles, no doubt will attract another sanctimonious reply.

Face is right ;) .

A couple of thousand quid is my [ conservative ] guess as to what the kit might fetch; maybe 50% more.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Simon,

My SWAG at the value was for wheels and covers both; wheels alone would be anyone's guess ( a local chap with a TR4A had a set he let go for $200 - he didn't consult me beforehand! ) and I can't see the appeal sans the Rostyle covers.

I don't know the offset relative to the 4-1/2"J TR5/250 wheel either - that's a possible consideration as splash cover might be affected. I reckon it would carry over to the subsequent TR6 wheel, so not an issue for the Karmann cars.

As to the wobblies, my original '250 wheels got awfully bent when fitted with new tyres once; I " cured " this with a sledgehammer beating out the centre disc beyond the original plane, to be pulled back by the mounting nuts. This had nothing to do with the existing runout prior to tyre fitment, which carried over of course.

Cheers,

Tom

I dont think they fit dish isn't deep enough,Had a PM from a guy over in Germany that likes these wheels he shorten's the pedestals and fits standard tr4 chrome wheel centres. WHY but where there's a will there's a way ?

The long pedestals were extended to accommodate the extra 1" of wheel rim depth and are unique to the '69 wheel whose unique cover is the Rostyle one.

Cheers,

Tom