EARLY TR2 LUCAS L471 LIGHTS

Thanks mostly to this forum I have sourced virtually all the hens teeth, rocking

horse droppings, 'not available on this planet' items, found to be missing from

my 1953 TR2 restoration project.

I do still, however, badly need either a NIB complete Stanpart example or 2 (Ho-ho-ho)

or a wretched bezel for my supa-dupa sheet metal fabricator to fashion a pair of replicas.

The lenses and bulb holders are relatively simple matters to overcome, but a decent

bezel is an absolute must minimum.Otherwise I shall be forced to use the later lights, of which

I am embarrassed by many in number.I am sure the real thing will turn up eventually, but

eventually seems such a long time to wait.?

I am happy to purchase, rent, borrow or w.h.y.

Hopefully yours

Roger M-E

A buddy of mine has made a number of these in years past for those early TR2 bezels. He has a wooden form around which he burnishes steel sheet. I can't recall if he uses stainless or mild steel for later chroming. They look pretty good, in fact. It appears not to be that difficult, although it is time-consuming.

Edwin,

I fear the demand will never be sufficient for our Vietnamese chums

to reproduce them.The numbers of TR2/3s missing front bumpers

will have been sufficient for putting them into limited production, but demand

for rear light bezels will be miniscule considering the small number of

survivors of the 1300 or so cars thus fitted, that still have a need for them.

However, half the fun of restoring an early TR is tracking down those

elusive parts, and I am confident that I'll sort the problem eventually.

If I have to, I'll fit later pattern lights until the real thing comes along.

In the meantime, I'll have to be happy looking at the rear end of your car!

Roger M-E

Roger, I'll talk to my buddy. If he's not a likely candidate to make them, perhaps he'd at least loan his tooling.

Edwin,

I fear the demand will never be sufficient for our Vietnamese chums

to reproduce them.The numbers of TR2/3s missing front bumpers

will have been sufficient for putting them into limited production, but demand

for rear light bezels will be miniscule considering the small number of

survivors of the 1300 or so cars thus fitted, that still have a need for them.

However, half the fun of restoring an early TR is tracking down those

elusive parts, and I am confident that I'll sort the problem eventually.

If I have to, I'll fit later pattern lights until the real thing comes along.

In the meantime, I'll have to be happy looking at the rear end of your car!

Roger M-E

My car is a short door version ;) so i have the easy later type lights. Nos though.. :)

I completely understand the Search fun. Very happy with all the original bits i was able to find, like correct datestamped wipermotor and startersolenoid, original aeroscreens, fitted suitcase and about 60% of the continental touring kit ;)

Rather than duplicate effort, please be aware of work being undertaken by the Spares Development Fund (SDF):

Early TR2s

Thanks to Pete Cox, the SDF is in discussions about reproduction of a couple of items which were fitted solely on the first 1200 (approx.) TR2s, of which some 280-300 remain, according to Mike Ellis, Registrar for the sidescreen cars. In many cases, the thermostat housing and the bezel for the rear lamps may have failed or been damaged, and replaced by the later versions. If reproduced, these items will not be cheap, but the quality will be such as to satisfy those who seek to have their car appear as it was when brand new. The SDF’s intention is that production of a small batch of each item would be offered for sale through one of the well-known TR suppliers in the UK.

We have moved beyond the discussion stage and parts have been produced, but the lamp requires a "rubber" seal, and that is not so easy to source. However, we feel that 2018 will be the year in which both these items will surface!

Ian Cornish

Rather surprised that no mention has been made of the equally elusive "baby Tenax" for the very early 2s. Rumor has it that the still alive Tenax folk refuse to make a production run and will not allow anyone to reproduce. Any comments?

Lou Metelko

Auburn, Indiana USA

54 TR2 TS981L

Hi Lou

Yes the SDF have this item on their wish list - the problem with baby tenax fasteners is the minimum number required to have them reproduced (many ,000's). They look simple but the spring clip has several components, the peg isn't a problem.

Regards

Ian

It's starting to make sense that the full set of baby tenax

that were sold on eBay in the Alannids Cave exercise

reached about £110.

They were new and even had period patina, having sat in

a box for some 40 years.

But surely there are other cars from that period that

would have used them? That could help justify a run

of greater quantity. What about Morgans?

AlanR

• 4 months later...

Hi Mike

do you have any specific items you would like to know about, or would suggest are worthy of investigation?

At the moment, the SDF are working to complete the 4 pot crank project, and have a couple of early car items on the go, (but not Tenax fasteners as explained in an earlier post).

There are also numerous other items in the pipeline, and on the starting blocks, fingers crossed several of them will come to fruition but it does take some time.

Regards

Ian

Hi Roger,

Do you have the reflector bracket which hangs below the rear light and also its respective reflector?

Bracket I can not help with other than measurements.

Reflector I can supply a pair new old stock. There was a specific reference to a model number which I have now forgotten to do with the diamond effect behind the reflector.

PM me if you need the reflectors.

I was lucky enough to find a pair of the bulb socket fitting originally fitted with spring cable clamps, rubbers, chrome screws, and finally the chrome surrounds.

Regards

Rod