John is right, although plenty of people including me disconnect the second cable that goes to the throttle linkeage.

I dont see any reason why you cannot replace the MU cable inner, but i’ve not done it.

Steve

Hi Tony,

if you have a single cable then somebody has been tinkering (and why not).

They may have obtained a suitable single cable or made one from bits.

If you need just a pull cable then any cycle shop will have good inners.

If you need a push pull cable then the TR4/4A choke cable is a single strand cable that would do - or a length of suitable 'piano wire' of the right gauge.

Joining it to the knob assembly could be fun and will keep you out of trouble for a couple of days.

Roger

Thank you John/Steve

On my car It is a single cable to the MU unit and I have a separate fast idle lever with cable (fixed under the dash left hand side of steering wheel) and this appears to be a triumph lever that perhaps someone has installed. Seems to work very well.

What inner cable should I use as I don't want to buy a double cable just to cut it up.

Thanks

Tony

Thanks Roger,

the inner cable does it have a fixed nipple on one end? and do you know the approx. length? from looking at the cable it looks fairly chunky to enable it to push with out folding. Depending on your reply I may be able to use a Lambretta front disc brake cable.

Thanks

Tony

Sorry Roger when I say pushing I meant when you push the choke button back in, the multi strand that is in there now works well I have just noticed a couple of strands fraying.

The link you sent to an ebay cable are you saying that I could use this and just take the button/lever off and replace it with my choke button?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

if you already have a stranded cable fitted then replace with a stranded cable. Obviously there is a decent spring pulling it back.

The ebay link I posted was simply to show there are choices out there. Will they fit; haven't a clue.

It is usually possible to remove the old cable from the existing knob. If this is so then a bike brake cable may do the job.

Roger

The question is : does the mu fuel enrichment lever return automatically or does it need a ‘push’ ?

You can esily test this by disconnecting the cable at the mu, then operating the mu lever, does it spring back

I expect it does

If so then any old cable will do, just needs to fit the outer that you have and the fitting at the pull knob end needs to match

Steve