AUTOCAR MAGAZINE`S FIRST PROFILE OF TR6 16/1/69

The article shows X776, MDU 743F, the first off tools TR6 prototype built on the 28th March 1968 and unfortunately written off at MIRA in a series of test crashes on or about the 18th April 1969 with only 7617 miles on the clock.

cheers

Derek

John, MDU 743F was indeed a LHD car. The interior shots are all from CP25001 which was RHD and also used in the original press release.

regards

Derek

John, Nothing wrong with your eyes, MDU 743F was indeed a LHD car however the interior shots are all from CP25001 which was RHD and also used in the original press release.

regards

Derek

Thanks Derek

Is there a reference that I can access to find details of the 1968 cars ?

I was wondering when the first production cars were built, late 68 ?

Were they export cars ? How many etc.

When was CP25001 built and where did she end up ?

Forgive me if I'm going over old ground that has been well covered elsewhere ,but I'm very interested in the history of the early TR6's.

Any references that you can recommend would be most welcome.

regards

John

John, Early TR6 production is a bit of a complicated tale however starting with the North American spec CC. The first production TR6 was CC25003L built on the 19th September 68. The last CC TR6 built in 1968 was CC27383L. The pre-production CC25001L was built on the 4th July 1968. This six had a TR250 engine no CC5271HE. There is no record of CC25002L although I believe it was a Jasmine car and have seen photographs of it.

The first production PI TR6 was CP25146LO built on the 28th November 1968 and the last CP built in 1968 was CP25158-O on the 20th December 1968 (this was PDU 520G). Out of these CP25148L was not built in 1968. 1CP25002-1CP25145 were all CKD cars assembled in Belgium in 1969. The pre-production CP25001-O was built on the 4th July 1968. This six had a TR5 engine number CP2485E.

Most of the above information can be found in the build records held by the BMIHT at Gaydon.

With regard to CP25001 this TR was kept by Triumph until March 1975. They used it first for the press release in January 1969 using false registration plates MVC 999G, they then registered it PHP 74G in March 1969, I'm not sure what happened to it until early in 1972 when it was used it to develop the later CR series engine and from late 73 to early 74 it was used to devleop the 74 and then 75 bumpers for the US market. CP25001 does still exist although needs a total rebuild.

Regards

Derek

Hi Derek, many thanks for this posting - of great interest and facination to all us sixers - I don't really think it's fair to ask this (but I will), any chance of writing an article for TRaction about the production history of the sixes, or is that simply asking for too much of your time which we're all very grateful for?