Sills - Body Colour or Black?

Ive seen a wide range of opinions on this subject but as I am soon about to tackle the sills on my own car, I thought Id see if I could get a definitive answer.

Many people have said that the sills on the 6 should be black stone chip - for astethics and because thats how they came out of the factory.

However, the majority of recent photos Ive seen on tinterweb and even on TRaction seem to show cars with sills painted in body colour.

Others have suggested stone chip over painted with body colour.

So....whats the general consensus?

Merry Christmas!

Well, sometimes the factory could “get it wrong” and it looks better done differently.

In this case I think the factory got it right, it looks better in black. Also the window surround and the rear panel should be black, also look better like this I think most people agree?

Magnus

I re-did mine recently. Stone chip applied at the same time as the underside, then all primed and painted. The sills were initially painted body colour with the rest, then flatted back with 600 wet and dry and three coats of satin black 2k applied. I know it should be matt black but I prefer satin and I want to be able to polish etc with the rest in the future. Just my preference.

post-12473-0-61345200-1514021504_thumb.jpg

All TR6's left the factory with mat black sills and I think it looks better as it narrows the profile of the car as photos of my TR6s show, (past and present), but it's all personal taste unless original factory specification is your thing...........

-PAXP-deijE.gif-PAXP-deijE.gif25550341_10211098337629534_2559522272507

25659317_10211098337389528_5159202622697

Happy Crimbo.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I was on the fence for a number of years on whether or not to paint my sills black as I didn't want to permanently mar the $7K USD paint job on my TR6 if I ended up disliking the result.

As a cosmetic test trial I was considering black vinyl car wrap for the sills when another forum discussion brought to my attention the Dupli-Color Custom Wrap Removable Coating spray which I applied the Matte Carbon Black CWRC794 Aerosol product as it matched my rear valance. This stuff is EZ Peel so my expensive body paint is still intact and protected underneath the coating.

Zowie what an amazing improved transformation. Magnus is too right that J. Bruce McWilliams was spot-on with the design details of the matte black Kamm tail and sills. I also agree with Andrew that optically the TR6 profile appears more sleek and from a corner angle the body looks less bulbous and wider with the black sills than without.

What I noticed when taping up my car prior to spraying, the rear wing curve height underneath the side bumper is carried forward in a straight line to the front tire well which in itself is a quite appealing design feature that's disguised with body color sills.

Keep 'em on the road! Cheers! :)

Given all the replies to date have been in favour of black sills, I shall follow suit (the fact that this is also my preferred option is a mere coincidence!)

Black sills and chrome strips will be the order of the day.

Thanks for the input and a merry Christmas to one and all.

Given all the replies to date have been in favour of black sills, I shall follow suit (the fact that this is also my preferred option is a mere coincidence!)

Black sills and chrome strips will be the order of the day.

Thanks for the input and a merry Christmas to one and all.

Steve,

If you're replacing the 'chrome' sill strips (finishers) and original spec is your thing then make sure you fit the correct finishers for the year of your car i.e. CP finishers are thin and CR's have thicker versions - Moss sell both.

Merry Crimbo

Andrew

I think it is just subjective, but Matt Black is very 1970's, so I don't think it looks out of place either way. The way to test is to stick some Matt Black vinyl on the sills with tape and then check it out for a couple of days.

I've not seen a TR4 or 4A around with Matt Black screen frame or cills but I'd think it would look okay.

Will there be a TR gift in the stocking today , where unfortunately you have to disappear to the garage to fit it? Merry Christmas! :)

Kevin

Steve,

If you're replacing the 'chrome' sill strips (finishers) and original spec is your thing then make sure you fit the correct finishers for the year of your car i.e. CP finishers are thin and CR's have thicker versions - Moss sell both.

Merry Crimbo

Andrew

Correct

Also important you place the fixings in the right place,also your front and rear wings are inline.

I've been considering this for a while but always thought it would be a shame to cover up shiny red paint on the sills. However, having looked at the difference by playing with some images I've decided to paint them black. I know it should be matt but I tihnk I'll go with satin, to match the other black bits.

post-2277-0-12752900-1514245212_thumb.jpg

post-2277-0-50018400-1514245218_thumb.jpg

Edited by tr6fan

Interesting bluebob you bought it new in 1969 eh?...Cos my white Aug 69 UK Pi car, true, I bought it in 72 but it had only done 16,000 miles and was like brand new, still on it's original well worn Dunlop SP's, and it came with black stonechip Sills (why do Americans call them 'Rockers'?). I'm with Andrew Smith for the same reasons he states.

it came with black stonechip Sills (why do Americans call them 'Rockers'?)

See attached photo of Rocker.

Denis, because they are shaped like the rockers on a rocking chair.

If the correct language had been utilized in the Maintenance Section of the Owner's Manual, it wouldn't have been an issue.

"Renew SILLS after they are consumed by oxidation (rust out)." :)

Cheers

Walt

post-13442-0-65440400-1514930519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sapphire72

hi Denis

yes mine did come off the line with not only with the sills in body colour but also the window frame was body colour as well Im sure that all royal blue left the line in body colour the rest as you mention had black sills and window frame the only panel on mine which is the norm was the back panel although there were a few with white rear panels , no I did not buy it new but have photos from the previous owner`s ive only had it for 29 years but have a lot of history and the original green log book, h/top still in the original paint as I have never fitted it .

Bluebob

The windscreen surround should have been body coloured on a 1969 TR6 Bluebob and I think you will find that the sills were overpainted black too. All TR6's left the factory with black sills without exception.

Alan G

Bluebob,

I think it unlikely that any TR6 left the factory with white rear panels or non black sills. That would have to have happened at the Liverpool Factory and unless they were a special order wouldn't have been despatched to Canley. It is more likely that the Dealer removed the underseal from the already painted sills and painted the rear panel white. However like TR6 painted in black by the factory the proof of the pudding would be on a build sheet / Heritage certificate. So far no-one has provided any proof that their TR6 was painted black by the factory so would be good to see some proof of a white painted rear panel and non black sills.

cheers

Derek

Hi Derek,

I can't entirely share the confidence of what might or might not have been achieved at the factory . . . . I spent too much time in Triumph / BL dealer workshops in the late 60s and early 70s, and having viewed some of the PDI comedies at first hand, absolutely nothing would surprise me when it comes to original ex-factory errors and anomalies.

It really was hard to credit the shambolic presentation of some BL cars compared to Ford, for example . . . . let alone the time factors involved in actually obtaining necessary component to resolve the specific problem/s.

How on earth BL had the sheer gall to despatch some of these specimens to dealers beats me, unless perhaps cars went through unchecked by quality control when all the inspectors were at tea break or attending union meetings ?

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec,

I agree with what you say about the standard of PDI and on the PDI sheets that I have copies of paintwork doesn't feature as a primary check so if a TR6 had managed to get to Canley somehow without a painted rear panel or black painted sills then it wouldn't have been picked up later in the process. unless there was a particularly vigilant inspector.

On the matter of matt black rear panel and painted sills these arose from the input into the detailing process from Bruce McWillams who was the Vice President of US Product Planning for BL in the USA. Bruce had a major influence in the styling of the TR6 in particular the matt black rear end, badging, front grille, and rear lights and these including the painted sills were part of the signed off design brief for TR6 exported to the US so any digression from the standard brief would have been noted on the build sheets.

As you note maybe a TR6 went through unchecked when the inspectors were on a tea break so that is maybe the case with BlueBobs TR6. It would however be interesting to check the build and sales sheet for BlueBobs TR6 and if he is happy to PM me with his commission number I can do that on my next visit to the BMIHT in a month or so's time.

cheers

Derek