Stupid idea? Hard top studs

OK so have just finished reconditioning my hardtop.

Then tried to fit it and 20 year old memories of doing the same on my spitfire 1500 came flooding back..

While the centre fixing on the B post is easy the windscreen and rear deck are a pain..

So... is this a stupid idea? Fit relevant sized studs to the front of the hard top and the rear deck using the holes and captive nuts normally used for the hard top mounting bolts. Then mount the hard top over the studs and tighten down with nuts?

Have I missed something?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

I can't see just why you are having problems here? When fitting the hardtop have the 2 side fixings (the ones that you fix with one big philips screw) firm but loose enough to move either forward or back a little and then place hard top onto these. Once this has been done don't put in the 2 dome shaped bolts into these fixing right away.

So you have the hard top roughly fitted you now locate the front 2 dome headed longish bolts up through the windscreen and through the 2 top hat spacers into the hard top itself, still keep these loose though.

Then looking down through the rear screen of the hard top align the 2 holes in the hardtop with the threaded holes that are in the rear deck, then reach in and hand tighten the 2 rear fixing bolts. Leave all 6 bolts loose until you have them all working in their threads and then proceed to tighten them all up a little at a time making sure the hard top rubbers don't get caught up on the plastic studs pop riveted on your forward rear deck sections and hopefully away you go.

If you are a long way out with any of these bolts and alignments then something more serious is afoot.

Sounds long-winded but that's only my hints, should be straightforward.

Keep me informed Tim please

Alan G

Ok. Sounds pretty comprehensive. Will have another wiggle tomorrow. But are there any issues with using studs (in principle)

I usually use a philips screwdriver to align the hardtop to the windshield holes. The rear usually requires pushing the hardtop around until the bolts fail in to the holes. I guess studs might work but could also cause dings or scratches when maneuvering the hardtop.

Berry

Tim I presume you do have the top hat spacers fitted under the front rubber seal? These are used as locators when you fit the hardtop?

Alan g

Yes have them in place.

Probably just needs fettling. Although it feels as though the bolt into the front of the hardtop is too small. It's 2 1/2 inches long. How does that sound.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

Just measured up one of these front dome headed bolts and it measures 2.942 inches overall length so yes I would say 2.5 inches would be too short.

These bolts have a little point at one end, to aid the location of the captive nut inside the front of the hardtop when you push bolt up through the windscreen top. Domed at the blunt end for a smidgen of safety I guess.

Alan G

Mine is 2.9 inches if you include the head of the bolt (which I assume you have.)

Cheers

Tim

Tim

My hard top is a pain in the arse to fit. The captive nuts for the front are retained in a flimsy cage and the latitude for engaging the bolts through the top of the windscreen is very small. The nuts have a small bar welded to them to prevent rotation within the cage. I managed to dislocate on of the cages which made things even worse.

The way I solve the problem is this. I place a bit of closed cell foam over the rear deck. Actually an old camping mat. Rest the hardtop in place on the car. I then engage the front bolts first. A philips screwdriver through the spacer on one side helps. One side seems to engage more easily than the other but there is a bit of farting around to get the bolts in place. Don't tighten fully. Then I remove the foam pad and fit the bolts to the rear of the frame but leave loose. Then I fit the bolts to the B posts. Once all engaged tighten the whole lot up.

Oh... and then you may find the door glass stops need adjusting because the windows will probably be half and inch too low.

And then you'll find that the whole thing leaks at the junction with the front of the B post. I've found a bit of duck tap over each side stops this.

Good luck

David

Hi Chaps,

OK... got the hardtop on...

hybrid approach worked.. Made a couple of blind studs (thread on one end only) for the front mountings to guide the hardtop onto the top rail of the windescreen surround.. secured the other 4 fixings and then removed the blind studs and replaced with the correct bolts.. job's a goodun.. just now need to adjust the drivers door so the window does up!

Cheers

Tim