Noisy fuel pump

Now that BUO's overheating issue has been resolved, by Enginuity, and she will now run for more than 5 minutes before doing an impression of the Jet'D Eau in Geneva next problem appears to be fuel pump resonation, Bosch 044 pump mounted on outside of spare wheel well

Question what should I plan (budget) for change the main PRV hose back to a traditional construction one, change to a diaphragm PRV (existing one just refurbed by Neil) or both ?

Edited by Graham

If it really is that noisy you should be able to feel the resonance. More than likely it’s the pipe work. I’d go for new hoses first. Get something like Gates Barricade SAE j14 standard high pressure!

If it really is that noisy you should be able to feel the resonance. More than likely it’s the pipe work. I’d go for new hoses first. Get something like Gates Barricade SAE j14 HIGH PRESSURE. Don’t have it too tight and don’t overclip it.

My pump is outside and the pump outlet sits about 2" away from the bodywork. This then requires a tight 90' bend in the fuel hose. Although it looked OK when fitted after a few weeks the smooth 90' bend had tightened into a right angle and was restricting fuel flow. I then had to fashion a bend former from a bit of scrap to maintain a smooth bend on the hoses. So if you do replace the hose take care with the bends.

Something like this image:-

post-13239-0-96911300-1513680919_thumb.jpg

Edited by barkerwilliams

Now that BUO's overheating issue has been resolved, by Enginuity, and she will now run for more than 5 minutes before doing an impression of the Jet'D Eau in Geneva next problem appears to be fuel pump resonation, Bosch 044 pump mounted on outside of spare wheel well

Question what should I plan (budget) for change the main PRV hose back to a traditional construction one, change to a diaphragm PRV (existing one just refurbed by Neil) or both ?

Hi Graham! You do not say what type of High pressure hose you have got. There is only 2 types of hose that I know that works if using a Bosch pump and Lucas PRV.?

1) Convoluted PTFE with S/S Braid.This is more of an Aerospace product! Do not use smooth bore PTFE Hose as these are rated at 1000+ psi and you will definitely get the harmonic hammering! This type is offer by the usual people. I have told them that it is NBG many times?

2) High pressure rubber type rated at 200 psi max to SAE spec.J30 R14T1. This spec hose can be difficult to get hold of in the UK! It is ethanol resistant to 85%, so UK petrol no problem at 5%. I now believe that Mocal have got stock. Gates in the US is a major supplier of this product, their spec.4219BF refers.

3) There is another spec. Din. 73379-2A made by Cohline which I have tried but it is not as good as the Gates product.

If you have anymore problems PM me.

Bruce.

Ive had 2 tr6’s with bosch 996 pumps in the wheel arch and rubber hoses, no resonance on either.

Both on standard prv.

When i ‘upgraded’ the last car to a kit which included braided hoses the resoance was terrible.

So perhaps the braided lines arent a good idea?

Ive had 2 tr6’s with bosch 996 pumps in the wheel arch and rubber hoses, no resonance on either.

Both on standard prv.

When i ‘upgraded’ the last car to a kit which included braided hoses the resoance was terrible.

So perhaps the braided lines arent a good idea?

Steve! I found that the hose has to be flexible type and not rated above 200psi and no s/s braid on rubber type hose.

Bruce.

I also used a long Gates high pressure Barricade return line. My tank return connection is on the pump (passenger) side so I had to coil it. Make sure it is well clear of the boot hinges- my first attempt clamped closed when the boot was closed.