TR4 Left hand drive

I recently brought a left hand drive TR4 back from the USA. The first job on my list is conversion to right hand drive.

To this end I want to remove the original l/h metal dash. I have removed all the instruments and switches, the next job is to remove the two padded parts. As they wrap round the ends of the metal dash can they be removed before the dash itself is and, can the metal dash be removed before the dash top is removed?

Thanks

Graham

Remove the metal dash first complete with the crash pads.The top fixings will be revealed when the wooden dash is removed (don't forget the pivot mechanism on the glovebox) these are 1/4" nuts.

By the windscreen bottom fitting (1/2' nylocs) you will see 1/4" bolts that hold in the metal dash frame, either side remove these and it will then come out. The windscreen frame will have to come off if you are renewing the dash top.Taking the seats out and lying down helps a great deal.Remove the seat frames bolted to the floor pan will stop them digging into your back (don't ask how I know).

If you need any other help then you can PM me but it looks like you will soon get it done.

Have fun!

Regards Harry

Edited by harrytr5

Graham

If your left hooker is anything like mine you'll need to renew the windscreen Trim (vinyl ) as well as the dash top and lower pads.

There is quite a wrap around on the lower panels and at the very least the top leading edge of the dash will need to be " lifted " to disengage the metals dash.

I removed the three clamps at the base of the windscreen and the mounting brackets , this gave me access to the top of the bulkhead , to scrape off the vinyl bulkhead padding. Then with the dash removed you can scrape off the side wrap arounds.

Original glue will just fall off in some places and in other places it is stuck like the proverbial to a blanket ! It is so much easier to get at it and clean it up

with it off the car.

Attached is link to a website re a TR4 RHD conversion which you might find useful.

http://www.brabazon.org/home/tr4/rhd_conversion

The " chopping up " of your original metal dash is relatively straight forward ( my pal did his on the car we restore ) if you have access to a MIG welder. May be someone in the Club would do it for you , if you don't possess one.

Fire off another post , if you have any further questions. Good luck from another Left hooker owner.

Bob