Authenticity of my TR

"Minilite" wheels, I think.

http://minilite.co.uk/

John

Nope, the profile is too sharp on the crown, aftermarket lookalikes maybe Performance minilight rip offs.

Mick Richards

I searched for a TR6 wearing Minilites, and found this! http://www.tyresave.co.uk/minilite/minacar7/

and this (post 14): http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7462-problem-with-new-minilites/

and this, post 6: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7462-problem-with-new-minilites/ Quote, " 15x6 panasports with a polished rim but it is a similar look to the Minilites"

So, not too outlander. Nice wheels, mate!

JOhn

Learn something every day - - so maybe not mini-lites! I take a close look when I take a wheel off one day.

So nobody is screaming dont do it then! We have a place called the old town here and they have a few 70s cars parked up. Was chatting with someout out there and they said in summer maybe they use my TR (guess I remove the USB plug then :rolleyes: )

Edited by AarhusTr6

Hi, although minilite wheels were very much in production, and available for a few cars in 1970, I don't recall ever seeing them on a TR6.

Austin

HI Austin! That was because they were only made in 10 inch size for Minis, then they made 13 inch but only after being pushed to do so. The 15 inch wheels of the 1970s were Cosmic, Cobra, Mamba, Wolface, Dunlop plus a few others.

Bruce.

The World Cup Rally PI's from 1970 used 15 x 5 1/2" Minilites. Apparently Abingdon ordered hundreds of them from Tech Del as every car had at least five spare sets (four works cars, and two privately entered cars with works assistance).

After the rally many found there way onto Triumphs in the Oxford area!

I bought I set recently from a TR6 owner who's car had been fitted with a set of these very wheels, and they have now gone back on a World Cup PI!

Edited by multipletriumphsinner

The World Cup Rally PI's from 1970 used 15 x 5 1/2" Minilites. Apparently Abingdon ordered hundreds of them from Tech Del as every car had at least five spare sets (four works cars, and two privately entered cars with works assistance).

After the rally many found there way onto Triumphs in the Oxford area!

I bought I set recently from a TR6 owner who's car had been fitted with a set of these very wheels, and they have now gone back on a World Cup PI!

Yes but you could not buy from your local BL dealer or after market dealer? I suspect that they came out through the back door and you had to be an employee of MG. Also the company that made Minilites went to the wall in the 1970s.Were they magnesium alloy as the originals?

Bruce.

Bruce.

6" cast wheels were listed for the TR5 in the parts books so were presumably available via the Dealer and a 5.5" light alloy version is listed as an option in the TR5 homologation papers - see attached abstract. They weren't listed for the TR6 however in either the parts books or the homologation papers.

cheers

Derek

post-1290-0-41887000-1513710710_thumb.jpg

Production sports racing TR6 was allowed only steel or wire wheels in period, because there was no catalogued (let alone homologated) alloy wheel option.

In contrast, the TR5 was permitted to utilise either of the alloy options mentioned by Derek, 5.5" or 6".

The Weller steel wheel was preferred to the factory GKN wheels, much stronger piece of kit . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Yes but you could not buy from your local BL dealer or after market dealer? I suspect that they came out through the back door and you had to be an employee of MG. Also the company that made Minilites went to the wall in the 1970s.Were they magnesium alloy as the originals?

Bruce.

Bruce.

They were, and still are magnesium, we have four works cars here that still have original wheels.

I wasn't aware that genuine Minilites were offered in anything other than magnesium in period.

I know a chap who bought a couple of sets of 15" direct from Tech Del in 1969 so definitely available retail.

Aarhus...If your car has been repainted? The Black windshield surround might not be correct for a 1970 car! Mine came new with a body coloured windshield frame, White from new. Your Vin Number would provide more info from the authenticity experts on this site.

My 1970 TR6 came with a black surround and as far as I know this is correct for all CP TRs starting in the 50....

In fact it's a shade of black what is what we call egg shell , not matt or satin. but my car was assembled in Belgium so there might be some difference in shade.

About the wheels here a picture of my 3 on KN wheels, look rather the same as on the white 6

post-754-0-22173800-1513790110_thumb.jpg

My 1970 TR6 came with a black surround and as far as I know this is correct for all CP TRs starting in the 50....

In fact it's a shade of black what is what we call egg shell , not matt or satin. but my car was assembled in Belgium so there might be some difference in shade.

About the wheels here a picture of my 3 on KN wheels, look rather the same as on the white 6

attachicon.gifKN wheels on TR3.JPG

Good to see your back posting with us Jean,hope your keeping well.

All the early CP TR6's had body coloured windshield surrounds just like the TR5 had. I've forgotten at what chassis number or date they added the black paint...somebody will be along to remind us hopefully.

Edited by Denis

For European cars 1970 Model year started with CP50..... and that is the time when the black windscreen surround on the TR6 was introduced whatever the bodycolour was. ;)

In fact my car was dispatched to Belgium around november 1969 to be assembled in the first 2 month of 1970.

Strange enough as a 1970 car the panels of the interior still had the 1969 design.. :unsure:

Here are the TR4s and TR250s raced by Bob Tullius's Group 44 team (from Sports Car Graphic, April 1969). Group 44 soon switched to the TR6 and campaigned them successfully for a number of years, and I'm sure many images are available (just not right at hand for me).

What was approved for racing in period depends on who was sanctioning the races, of course. I'll bet our friend Alec has MSA and SCCA regulations from that time in his head, knowing his encyclopedic memory.

i-2W2L4JH.jpg

Hi Don,

I'm afraid my knowledge of the umptynine formulae of years gone by tends nowadays to be restricted to the period and current regulations relating to whatever odd projects I'm still involved with, to at least some degree . . . . .

As a general principle, I'd suggest that in the UK we've tended to have Production Sports formulae which allowed rather less by way of modification and tuning to production models than say SCCA regs allowed . . . . . and in contrast, Modified Sports which tended to allow somewhat more latitude and scope than SCCA.

That's my impression, but of course I'm happy to be corrected by those with more detailed knowledge of the past 60 years of sports car racing in the UK and the USA . . . . hopefully we will see some more detailed contributions ?

Cheers

Alec