Lumpy acceleration - not timing...

Hi Peter,

I left the ignition on all night because the red dashboard lamp had blown. Today it will not start. Point me at the best coil. I almost ordered a sports coil from Moss until I read this thread.

Some people have them very cheap but I want reliability. Point me in the right direction please,

Richard & H

Edited by Richardtr3a

Hi Richard,

The coil is probably cooked, as a result of leaving the ignition on overnight which you probably know.

The Bosch SU12 is good for cars without a ballast resistor.

The Bosch GT40 gives a fatter spark (according to Bosch), but does not look original.

I will not install a Lucas coil myself, not old, nor new.

Bosch SU12 would be my choice for my 1970 (unballested) Tr6-PI.

This will probably also be ok for a Tr2,3,4, although not listed in the Bosch list.

Regards,

Waldi

None on SparesBox that I can see - unless Peter's bought them up already :)

Back from VicRoads - all now registered and happy me. 'Twas a nice blat through the countryside to the shelter of home. The 36 degree heat is giving way to severe thunderstorms that are about to smite the region so no driving for the rest of the day. :(

If anyone comes across a Bosch GT40T - only made in Oz and NLA - I want one !

Peter

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/mx_paul/photo_zps2cce646c.jpg

Hi Peter! Have you spoken to Bosch at Denham their Automotive division here in the UK to see if it is available here in the UK? They sorted me out on an Bosch fuel pump!

Bruce.

Hi Peter! Have you spoken to Bosch at Denham their Automotive division here in the UK to see if it is available here in the UK? They sorted me out on an Bosch fuel pump!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce, I haven't as it was only made by Bosch Australia and is many years out of production. I've never seen one on UK ebay and gave up looking. Peter

Hi Bruce, I haven't as it was only made by Bosch Australia and is many years out of production. I've never seen one on UK ebay and gave up looking. Peter

Peter, one of the things that Bosch do is to move their production to different locations around the world, it may still be produced some where? as there are a lot for sale on world ebay?

Good Luck,

Bruce.

Peter, one of the things that Bosch do is to move their production to different locations around the world, it may still be produced some where? as there are a lot for sale on world ebay?

Good Luck,

Bruce.

Bruce, None on ebay.com that I can see. Lots of GT40R but not GT40T. Peter

Peter! What is the difference between the R & T? and do you have the Bosch part number for the one you want?

Bruce.

Bruce, The T gives a longer spark that should be better at igniting lean mixtures. T means a transformer design with a square iron core, rather than concentric coils. I came across them here...

http://nebula.wsimg.com/a0048958fdda77c4862ad82c764ec88b?AccessKeyId=967E22DE049163134A29&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

p17

Peter

Hi Peter

I wonder if a Mallory Transformer type coil would have the same benefit as the Bosch. Seems a reasonably good supply in North America.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MALLORY-12V-IGNITION-COIL-VOLTMASTER-CHEVY-PONTIAC-SUPER-MAG-TRANSFORMER/232600436827?epid=26003504297&hash=item362811005b:g:BVsAAOSwXetZRvYS&vxp=mtr

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Peter

I wonder if a Mallory Transformer type coil would have the same benefit as the Bosch. Seems a reasonably good supply in North America.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MALLORY-12V-IGNITION-COIL-VOLTMASTER-CHEVY-PONTIAC-SUPER-MAG-TRANSFORMER/232600436827?epid=26003504297&hash=item362811005b:g:BVsAAOSwXetZRvYS&vxp=mtr

Cheers

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, I dont if the benefit is Bosch-only or common to all transformer coils. Thanks for the information Peter

Bosch GT40T coils also fit 58-64 Anglias as well as TR's.These people claim to have them available in OZ: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwix--TMu5jYAhVIabwKHZ4FDKYQFgiDATAN&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allpartsautomotive.com.au%2Fonline-store%2FFORANG0822005721.htm&usg=AOvVaw2ltyL2bUsxOuavYU0-Qlp6, as well as The Spark Shop in NZ

Edited by Mike C

Mike, Many thanks I've emailed them. Peter

Let me know when youve ordered one Peter, I might grab one too and keep the cheapy for a spare (dont want to pinch the last one! . And if they wont post to uk let me know and Ill help you out.

Edited by stallie

Let me know when youve ordered one Peter, I might grab one too and keep the cheapy for a spare (dont want to pinch the last one! . And if they wont post to uk let me know and Ill help you out.

Stallie, They are contacting suppliers for new stock. Not used or NOS. They don't post overseas so I'll be delighted to take you up on your offer. I'll order two for us. Peter

Good news you got a reply - there a probably a few suppliers taking holidays from today so it could take a while...

Dan

Dan, Its negative - no longer manufactured. And they drew blanks on NOS too. But really impressive service, if I were in Aus I'd be using them for parts !