150HP camshaft

Hi-USA PI! If you want a well made camshaft from a new blank, there are no re- grinds here. Go to Newman camshafts here in the UK, they do a full range of cams for TR's along with their special EN40B cam followers. I have used their cams for years including motor cycle ones never had a complaint!

Bruce.

Just a bit of a warning. I tried to look up "Camshafts" on the Newman site and Bitdefender stopped it due to a malware infection. I overrode the Bitdefender warning and Microsoft Win 10 security gave me the same warning. I'm no computer expert so I stopped looking, even though I've heard a lot of good things about Newman cams.

Just a bit of a warning. I tried to look up "Camshafts" on the Newman site and Bitdefender stopped it due to a malware infection. I overrode the Bitdefender warning and Microsoft Win 10 security gave me the same warning. I'm no computer expert so I stopped looking, even though I've heard a lot of good things about Newman cams.

I had the same thing the other day, it ended up crashing my computer. Something nasty there :o

Just had a standard 150 cam fitted it was obtained from Moss but is in fact Newman cam

What a difference after suffering rough running for several years due to the rubbish cam installed by the original engine builder who thankfully is no longer on the TR scene. Those of you who have suffered premature cam failure will know who I mean.

Cheers

Nigel

Regards

Nigel

Just had a standard 150 cam fitted it was obtained from Moss but is in fact Newman cam

What a difference after suffering rough running for several years due to the rubbish cam installed by the original engine builder who thankfully is no longer on the TR scene. Those of you who have suffered premature cam failure will know who I mean.

Cheers

Nigel

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel! I know what you mean but a lot of those re-ground camshafts were installed by restorers in good faith. I have the advantage of having served a 5 year English Tool-making Apprenticeship where most metal parts are heat treated. Therefore if you re-grind the profile on a camshaft, you grind off the .010" hardness layer into the soft metal and that is what happen to many TR owners like your self. The technical knowledge of many of the suppliers in this field is non existent! My experience last year with gearbox lay shafts is a prime example.

Hope you have now got your car sorted?

Bruce.

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know where I can find the valve lift for a std CP cam (307689)? Is not in the WSM.

On Chris Witors site I see the cam lift is .250.

Im asking because Ive bought valve guides from Goodparts with the small seals, to want to verify if I need to lower or shorten the guides (standard is 16.0 mm above the head).

Thanks,

Waldi

Moss sl the 150 profile on a Newman blank

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/camshaft-307689.html?assoc=127577

I have been told that Moss are now buying Newman cams as at one point they had 100% failure with their re-grinds and customer were giving their management a lot of fighting talk and solicitor's letters dropping in through the post. But it has taken them over 20 years to get the message that their re-grinds were NFG!

Bruce.

Hi Waldi,

can you measure the rocker arm (or cy head hole spacings) to get the leverage ratio - it should be fairly straight forward

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks, I considered that but was not sure it that would be correct, so asked the more knowledgeable people.

I have read somewhere that the standard rocker ratio is 1.46

The valve clearance (10 thou or 0,01) should be deducted from the valve lift I guess, since this is lost motion.

That will then result in a valve lift of:

0,25 x 1.46 - 0.01 = 0,355 (or 9,02 mm)

I stand to be corrected

Regards,

Waldi

John,

Thanks, that is what I thought.

Does this mean my above calculation is not correct (sorry if Im looking to be a smart ..s, that is not the intention)?

Waldi