What mirrors are these?

I've admired this particular TR6 for some time, especially the wheels which appear to be fairly unique, plus of course, the smiling passenger ;) .

post-14246-0-09047800-1513325311_thumb.jpg

My car is the same colour and apart from the wheels (mine are standard steelies) looks pretty much identical. Now that I'm trying to sort out what type of door mirrors to fit (and I really, really am going to struggle drilling holes in the perfectly painted doors to do this), I figure that the mirrors on this car didn't distract from the overall aesthetics so they should do the job nicely.

My question is then, what mirrors are they?

Gavin

Edited by KiwiTR6

These ones Gav: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GAM213

Quite reasonable too...

I've admired this particular TR6 for some time, especially the wheels which appear to be fairly unique, plus of course, the smiling passenger ;) .

attachicon.gifGorgeous TR6.jpg

My car is the same colour and apart from the wheels (mine are standard steelies) looks pretty much identical. Now that I'm trying to sort out what type of door mirrors to fit (and I really, really am going to struggle drilling holes in the perfectly painted doors to do this), I figure that the mirrors on this car didn't distract from the overall aesthetics so they should do the job nicely.

My question is then, what mirrors are they?

Gavin

They originate from the Morris Marina of the 1970's. They certainly were not in favour then! as the Marina was not considered one of BL's best cars. I had two as company cars but these mirrors have gained favour since.

Bruce.

Or you could try something like these

(and I didn't even drill the bodywork!)

attachicon.gifSebring mirror.jpg attachicon.gifSebring mirror 2.jpg attachicon.gifSebring mirror 3.jpg

AlanR

Hi Alan! the trouble is that the Marina Mirrors do not give a very good field of view? Your type look as if they do? In the USA MX5 were often fitted to TR's in Texas and the field of view was excellent and covered both sides of the road. This is what I fitted to my TR and makes driving in France etc. easy when you want to overtake.

Bruce.

Im not a fan of those BL style mirrors they dont last that long before they start to move around and very easy to knock off. I prefer the ones I have fitted to my 4a which are a dead copy of the US dealer fit ones it came back from the States with. Now available from Carbuilder solutions https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/chrome-rectangular-pedestal-mirror-135mm

Stuart.

post-3753-0-40443100-1513351258_thumb.jpg

Gavin,

As noted by others the mirrors available now are very similar to the ones to those fitted by the Dealers when the cars were new. Mine has a mirror manufactured by Wingard, as per photo, which looks virtually identical to the Tex type currently available and was fitted by Loxhams garage in Preston when the car was new. Other than a replacement glass that I fitted in circa 1980 it has a good field of view the only issue is I could do with its partner to fit on the passenger side!

cheers

Derek

post-1290-0-49410800-1513352583_thumb.jpg

When I bought my car in 1972 it had horrid chrome Bullet mirrors like used on mid 1960 single seater racing cars, mounted half way down the front wing they looked so stupid and too far away to see much in them!

So when I fitted new Wings all round I was glad to see the back of them, I never liked the standard BL door mirrors as I thought them a bit ordinary, so fitted a 1970 period correct F1 style racing Mirror to the drivers door.

post-8693-0-19728500-1513357800_thumb.jpg

post-8693-0-89858900-1513357828_thumb.jpg

Im not a fan of those BL style mirrors they dont last that long before they start to move around and very easy to knock off. I prefer the ones I have fitted to my 4a which are a dead copy of the US dealer fit ones it came back from the States with. Now available from Carbuilder solutions https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/chrome-rectangular-pedestal-mirror-135mm

Stuart.

attachicon.gifIMG_4695.jpg

Thanks Stuart. Can't say I fancy the angular shape of the type fitted to your 4a, but I do like the this one from the same supplier plus all the coponents are stainless steel ;)

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/ca/stainless-steel-wing-or-door-mirror-112mm

Gavin

Thanks Stuart. Can't say I fancy the angular shape of the type fitted to your 4a, but I do like the this one from the same supplier plus all the coponents are stainless steel ;)

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/ca/stainless-steel-wing-or-door-mirror-112mm

Gavin

I have seen them before but was disappointed with them as the relationship between the mirror and the base seems wrong.

Stuart.

I have seen them before but was disappointed with them as the relationship between the mirror and the base seems wrong.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I've ordered the type you recommend for several of reasons, (1) you recommended them (2) being plastic construction I figure they'll shear off before damaging the panel if they get knocked and (3) I'll fix them with a 50mm screw spacing which will allow me to fit the TEX door racing mirrors if I eventually decide I dont like them.

To everyone else, thanks very much for your input which helped me decide not to go with this style afterall.

TR4Deano, yes I figured they were split rims a while back and, from memory, hellishly expensive!

Regards to all

Gavin

When I bought my car in 1972 it had horrid chrome Bullet mirrors like used on mid 1960 single seater racing cars, mounted half way down the front wing they looked so stupid and too far away to see much in them!

So when I fitted new Wings all round I was glad to see the back of them, I never liked the standard BL door mirrors as I thought them a bit ordinary, so fitted a 1970 period correct F1 style racing Mirror to the drivers door.

Denis, how do you keep your youthful looks?