Dash lamps

Chaps

As part of the winter project dash refreshment, I'm replacing the old 789 lamps with LEDs. However, I see that the lamp holders' threading amounts to two pressed 'creases', one on either side. I also see that the edison screw on the (reputable-source) LEDs is fractionally shallower than the outgoing 789s and the ferocious spring loading is simply pushing the lamps past the holder thread.

Are there any natty tricks for increasing the 'crease' grip on the lamp, without having to remove each and every holder? I've tried pinching the holder onto the lamp thread and have so far ruined one lamp holder and one led lamp.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

I bought new holders on ebay that have 2 wires and dont earth through the instrument cases, theyre rubber mounted.

These worked out nicely, and allowed me to add a dimmer.

I did not remove the old bulb holders, just wired in new ones via the dimmer

Steve

Hi Paul

Ebay item no 191826243743 is what i used, you’ll need different leds but they are cheap.

For the dimmer i used ebay 152728232725 , I dismantled it, and replaced the dimmer control variable resister with a bigger one of the same resistance, which fits perfectly in the original dimmer bracket, the knob even fits !

If you’re handy with a soldering iron its very easy and works well

Steve