I have a TR4 and the ride height is low at the front and high at the back.

It is further complicated by the fact it is a deep dish rear spring TR4 with a TR6 engine fitted. It had new deep dish springs fitted in 2002 and since then has done 8500 miles so they have settled as much as they are going to.

Following advice I intend to fit standard shallow dish rear springs to sort the back out. For the front I have figured out the relationship between spacer thickness and affect on the suspension height ( following repeated trials several years ago). I have some spacers to turn to the desired thickness.

The question I have is

What is a good height from the centre of the wheel arch to the top of the tyre tread ?

Mine is currently 2cm/1" which translates into about 5cm/2" chassis to ground clearance which I consider to be too low.

Concerning the back axle has anyone got a set of axle U bolts + the plates which go under the spring and have the shock absorber bolt holes in. These can either be TR2/3 or 4 items as I think they are the same.

Regards, John

IMHO...I would aim at chassis/ground clearance of 4", and at least 1 1/2" tyre/arch clearance..

Have a pair of front coil springs custom made to suit your ride characteristics preferences...better than using spacers to gain 2" increase in ride height...more workable coil is preferable.

Go to a competent coil spring manufacturer and they will design a spring for you.

Start at the front before altering the rear springs.

Hi John,

I thought the TR6 engine was no heavier than the TR4 engine.

Do you know the free length of the installed front springs and the spring rate

have a look here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/front-suspension/uprated-road-springs-tr5-6.html

A stronger spring rate will help keep the front up as will a longer spring.

So you need to know what you have before you go forward.

Roger

Dont bother with standard springs. Go with Revingtons 160lb rears and a matching set of 450lb fronts.

Good ride height and still comfy.

Fit the shackles with nylon or Superpro bushes and use the big washers location kit on the front mount of the rear springs.

The front ride height can be tuned using std or 5mm oversize Superpro spring seats The 5mm extra height can be added at one or both ends of the front spring to increase the ride height by 10 or 20mm. You wont need the alloy spacers.

I have a TR4 and the ride height is low at the front and high at the back.

It is further complicated by the fact it is a deep dish rear spring TR4 with a TR6 engine fitted. It had new deep dish springs fitted in 2002 and since then has done 8500 miles so they have settled as much as they are going to.

Following advice I intend to fit standard shallow dish rear springs to sort the back out. For the front I have figured out the relationship between spacer thickness and affect on the suspension height ( following repeated trials several years ago). I have some spacers to turn to the desired thickness.

The question I have is

What is a good height from the centre of the wheel arch to the top of the tyre tread ?

Mine is currently 2cm/1" which translates into about 5cm/2" chassis to ground clearance which I consider to be too low.

Concerning the back axle has anyone got a set of axle U bolts + the plates which go under the spring and have the shock absorber bolt holes in. These can either be TR2/3 or 4 items as I think they are the same.

Regards, John

Can you post some pic's of the engine/bulkhead area please - I'm interested to see this hybrid..

Thanks

Food for thought there. Judging by the responses a about 2" or more higher at the front and some of Revingtons rears.

Now for the last question about the hybrid car. The bulkhead / gearbox is the same as the 4 cylinder as it is dictated by the gearbox position which is unchanged. The front is where the fun starts, if my memory serves correctly you need to create some engine mounts on the rear of the spring turrets, I used a scrap TR6 chassis for the brackets and measurements. Then the TR6 steering rack needs locating in the TR6 location along with the radiator, once again the TR6 chassis was invaluable. Also TR6 steering arms and lower steering column. I also grafted in a TR6 dished offside inner wing as you never know what I may do with the manifolds/supercharging/ injection. I think the car is excellent as it combines the purity of the original TR4 shape with the sound of the 6 cylinder.

See the picture below if I can post it.post-104-0-98227900-1512504047_thumb.jpg

Do you want any more detail please ask.

Unless you are track racing I would stick to the standard rating of around 320lb and have new springs custom made to obtain required ride height and comfort level.

You can send one of your existing springs to any recognised spring manufacturer, they will measure and test your spring and design a suitable pair for you with the correct number of free coils, wire diameter and overall length.

Edited by Malbaby