steering wheel tr3a info

Hello all,

this is my first post.

My dad just bought a tr3a and the steering wheel is in terrible condition.

There seems to be some leather on the wheel altough I tought it was only ever available in bakelite.

Was it ever available in leather, as an option? I'm asking because I will have it redone and I'm not sure what to ask for.

Thank you very much.

post-15328-0-82725100-1512247233_thumb.jpg

Edited by lotusfan

That's the optional adjustable column steering wheel - my car has the same and changing it for a standard one involves changing the column and the control head stator tube so it was probably fitted from original. It is made of bakolite or similar (and very brittle) so this may have been covered at some point to hide the cracks.

They are very rare in good condition. If the wheel underneath the leather is in good condition any cracks can be repaired with epoxy and then the wheel painted. If big chunks are missing, it can be remoulded in fibreglass but this is quite an expensive process.

If you're not worried about originality, Mota Lita do a replacement wooden rim or leather rim wheel and boss kit. Personally, I like the original look so if you can repair it (and although you say it's in terrible condition, it doesn't look too bad to me - I've seen much worse), I would spend the time to repair it.

That's the optional adjustable column steering wheel - my car has the same and changing it for a standard one involves changing the column and the control head stator tube so it was probably fitted from original. It is made of bakolite or similar (and very brittle) so this may have been covered at some point to hide the cracks.

They are very rare in good condition. If the wheel underneath the leather is in good condition any cracks can be repaired with epoxy and then the wheel painted. If big chunks are missing, it can be remoulded in fibreglass but this is quite an expensive process.

If you're not worried about originality, Mota Lita do a replacement wooden rim or leather rim wheel and boss kit. Personally, I like the original look so if you can repair it (and although you say it's in terrible condition, it doesn't look too bad to me - I've seen much worse), I would spend the time to repair it.

Hi rhino_mac, thanks for the all the precious info.

My original idea was indeed to get a motolita, but I'm not a fan of the look of the motolita combined with the original horn control and indicator.

I'll probably have the wheel "refurbished" after all, I guess it should be less than 150 € .

Edited by lotusfan

I was quoted £300 for a complete re-mould but mine was wrecked. In the end I found a new/old stock one but they are few and far between. There was one on Ebay that might reappear for about £400-450 I think.

Before you remove it, you need to make sure the grub screws that hold the control head will come undone - use a very small flat head screwdriver and allow some WD40 or similar to penetrate the threads.

Easiest to see what state it's in once the leather is off. Here is a Youtube video that shows how to repair with Epoxy.

My car was built with an adjustable wheel -- like every TR3B I've seen -- although when I got it it had already been changed to a TR2 long shaft. Is your car a TR3B by any chance, lotusfan? (That would be commission number starting with TSF- or TCF-.)

As Richard notes, the "adjustable" wheels (which really aren't that adjustable) have miserable durability. A good one is rare indeed. I seem to recall reproductions being offered by the major parts guys ten years or so ago, but they're no longer available as far as I know.

I'd recommend replacing the upper steering column section and putting on a non-adjustable wheel, which will be a LOT easier to find in either good used or reproduction new condition.

Here's the condition of a typical adjustable wheel:

i-zvWsQHg.jpg

I was quoted £300 for a complete re-mould but mine was wrecked. In the end I found a new/old stock one but they are few and far between. There was one on Ebay that might reappear for about £400-450 I think.

Before you remove it, you need to make sure the grub screws that hold the control head will come undone - use a very small flat head screwdriver and allow some WD40 or similar to penetrate the threads.

Easiest to see what state it's in once the leather is off. Here is a Youtube video that shows how to repair with Epoxy.

Thanks for the video, I will ask for a quote in Italy, where the car is.

My car was built with an adjustable wheel -- like every TR3B I've seen -- although when I got it it had already been changed to a TR2 long shaft. Is your car a TR3B by any chance, lotusfan? (That would be commission number starting with TSF- or TCF-.)

As Richard notes, the "adjustable" wheels (which really aren't that adjustable) have miserable durability. A good one is rare indeed. I seem to recall reproductions being offered by the major parts guys ten years or so ago, but they're no longer available as far as I know.

I'd recommend replacing the upper steering column section and putting on a non-adjustable wheel, which will be a LOT easier to find in either good used or reproduction new condition.

Here's the condition of a typical adjustable wheel:

i-zvWsQHg.jpg

Yeah I saw it's not available at Moss or any retailer at the moment. Thanks for the advice.

The car is a tr3a originally imported in the US

Hi Lotus fan

I have a 1955 steering wheel fo sale at a reasonable cost

if you are interested please send a personal message

Alan Y

It's probably safe to assume yours is the standard style -- the kind with the upper arms mostly horizontal, not Y-shaped, Alan? The standard wheel and adjustable wheel aren't interchangeable. They each have their own upper column section.