Sand Blasting Equipment

I’m undertaking a light restoration of a car, I needed a couple of medium sized suspension items sand blasting so I could repaint and had a couple of quotes over the telephone of over £150. For that I would want them chrome plated.

I was shocked at the price and decided I could have a go myself. The equipment seems reasonably priced but so many different accessories, lights, protective film, dust extractors, cabinet or pressurised, what medium to use etc., etc.

I might even consider an outdoor blasting medium loss type arrangement.

Any recommendations, speed of work is not an issue but use will be infrequent; I might occasionally have larger bits to blast?

Alan

Hi Alan,

if a couple = 2 and the suspension is not off a JCB then £150 = expensive.

Have you shopped around. Grit blasting is messy and worth not having unless you really need it.

How about paint strip and then immersion in a bucket of rust remover (DeOxC etc )

Roger

Sand blasting and powder coating is very cheap at some companies and scary at others.

In Mossley there is a firm called Chicago who shot blast and PC at extremely competitive prices, TR chassis at £125

Alan if you are really struggling post them to me and I will get them done for you.

DIY outdoor blasting is messy and a bit of a hassle, especially in hot or humid weather with all the PPE you should wear. On the other hand, I would not give up the capability. It turns into a routine and can be done pretty fast. Just yesterday, I removed some rusty parts, blasted them, powder coated them, and re-installed them in just a couple of hours. Cost was essentially zero, since the equipment is a sunk cost.

It certainly isn't for everyone, but blasting is just about the quickest and most effective way to remove paint and corrosion that a DIY guy can do.

Ed

I purchased a small sand blast cabinet (Clarks) when I was re-building my TR3 back in 2013.

It has been incredibly useful for so many things since.

Well worth it, especially if you have a compressor already.

Bob.

I have the Clarkes one too and it has done sterling service over the years,using Aluminium oxide as the medium.

However an efficient dust extractor is essential and you will need a biggish compressor to keep up. Mine is a 2 cylinder, not sure of the cfm as that disappeared years ago but I do have to stop and have a rest while it catches up when blasting at 91 PSI.

John

I’m undertaking a light restoration of a car, I needed a couple of medium sized suspension items sand blasting so I could repaint and had a couple of quotes over the telephone of over £150. For that I would want them chrome plated.

I was shocked at the price and decided I could have a go myself. The equipment seems reasonably priced but so many different accessories, lights, protective film, dust extractors, cabinet or pressurised, what medium to use etc., etc.

I might even consider an outdoor blasting medium loss type arrangement.

Any recommendations, speed of work is not an issue but use will be infrequent; I might occasionally have larger bits to blast?

Alan

Alan take a look ...cheap and cheerful but you will need good PPE and understanding neighbours!

Dave Connitt's TR4A blog (Dave Connitt davestr4a.com/) got me into doing my own blasting.

Garnet in the bigger one for chassis and panels, and glass beads for the cabinet for smaller items.

Good fun if you are not in a hurry, Daves 'plastic palace' recommended if you are working indoors. (If so you can recycle a fair bit of the garnet.)