Hi

Following on my recent post about engine cutting out and reply suggesting to check the earth, I am going to do just that and see if I can understand this Multimeter of mine!

I understand that I set the meter to Ohms, lower scale (200), place the black probe in the Negative terminal (my car was converted to negative earthing) and the red probe touching the bolt that holds the end of the cable to the car body. That's it right?

Do I turn off the ignition, or the opposite? I don't want to fry anything...

Edited by qim

Hello Qim,

For this particular test it does not matter which lead from the meter (red or black) goes where. You are just measuring resistance between two points. Probably best with ignition OFF, although it really should not matter.

Just make sure that you press the probe HARD (and scratch it about a bit) onto what ever you are touching. Make sure that the surface is clean or else you might get a false reading.

The answer should be zero ohms.

Also check from the battery earth to the engine block. Although as mentioned on you other thread, if the engine cranked OK then the earth to the block should be fine.

If nothing else it will add to your confidence at using your meter.

Charlie

Sorry to inject a cautionary note but although using a multi-meter will show whether there is an earth connection at all, it won't tell you whether it is of any use. A typical meter will use a current of around a couple of milliamps - so the most tenuous of earths will read OK even though it will be incapable of passing any substantial current. Really the only practical way to check a battery earth or engine earth strap is to physically inspect it.

Edited by RobH

Its eay enough to do yourself Camilo - just locate the wire/braid and check that it isn't damaged in any way (i.e. not hanging on by just a couple of strands). Then check that the terminals at the ends are bolted up tight and that they are not sitting on a layer of paint which would act as an insulator. That's all your electrician can do.

My research says this is the blue coil that will do a TR.

Bosch Ignition Coil Pt No 0221 119 027 K

spec https://au.bosch-automotive-shop.com/products/details/-/productdetails/0221119027/ignition-coil-0221119027

Peter W

E&OE

More info http://360.haubits.net/VolvoRacing.se/Ignition%20Coils.pdf

This book says SU12 is standard coil (with screwed terminals!), GT40 is performance and GT40T is racing type (all 12 volt)

For TR6 with ballast resistor - Add R suffix - SU12R is standard etc.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT