Wi-Fi Motion Detector

I've been thinking of garage security when I get my car back and have looked at all sorts of garage alarms that send a text when they're activated. Something that does the things I want is pretty expensive and need a mobile sim card and rely on a data plan. This led me to look for alternatives that use my already paid for Wi-Fi. This is what I've managed to pick up for the grand sum of just under £25 :-

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dch-s150-motion-sensor

It's easy to set up the plug by ... erm ... plugging it in. Press the WPS button on your broadband router, press the WPS button on the motion sensor and they magically connect. Install the app on your phone and add the device by pressing a few things on the screen - it's pretty self intuitive, but there are instructions as well - and you're all set up. I left it in the hall and went out. When I got back home and walked past it I got an instant notification on my phone.

Whilst it's not going to stop your car being stolen, it's a good instant notification that someone's been around your pride and joy and it also records the time of each trigger so if you don't hear the message instantly you'll at least know the time.

The next plan for me is to rig up a Wi-Fi camera in the garage, and my car will be fitted with a tracker. That way if I get a trigger from the motion sensor I can remotely log into the camera on my phone to check my car's still there and if it's not I can notify the police and they can start tracking it and hopefully recover it.

I have two wifi cameras monitoring my tr, my experiences may be helpful.....

Foscam brand cameras are cheap and reliable, mine have been running continuously for nearly 10 years without a problem

I have one outdoor fixed camera and one indoor pan and tilt model.

The wifi works but is weak, so i now have them connected by ethernet using powerline adapters, totally reliable

Picture quality is only vga, colour not great, newer models are higher res

I have them set to upload photos to my NAS when whenever they detect motion, works well but do get a lot of photos when the trees are moving about in the wind!

HTH

Steve

Hi,

thanks for posting - a nice simple solution.

Worth mentioning that if you already have the Hive system for your heating then they do an add on motion sensor for less than £25 too. They also do a camera - but its a bit more - about £130.

We got given a Hive hub FOC when we moved house - we only use it for a couple of lights - but you have given me the idea I might add a motion sensor too now.....

Regards,

Michael

Hmmmmmmm.

I have a WiFi camera on my veranda, to watch our hedgehogs. It's blinding, when it works!

I can control the camera, steer it about to watch their antics, from anywhere I have a phone signal.

If I don't, I can't, so if you don't the burglars could come in mob-handed and you'd never know,

JOhn

I have recently installed this product to monitor movement at the house of my mother who lives alone (apart from visiting carers) and suffers from dementia. But I have also installed an addition sensor at the entrance to her garage where my TR is stored. Very easy to install and set up and can be programmed to send alerts for activity (the TR) or inactivity (my mother).

https://www.canarycare.co.uk/

A couple of Arlo 'granny cams' are awaiting installation shortly.

Miles

Hmmmmmmm.

I have a WiFi camera on my veranda, to watch our hedgehogs. It's blinding, when it works!

I can control the camera, steer it about to watch their antics, from anywhere I have a phone signal.

If I don't, I can't, so if you don't the burglars could come in mob-handed and you'd never know,

JOhn

Like John I have a WiFi camera to watch the hedgehogs in the garden.

I use a cheap Wansview camera set to record onto the PC using free ISpy software.

I think you can set this up to send alerts to a mobile & monitor the camera remotely although I haven't tried this.

The biggest problem I found was setting the motion detection sensitivity but this is really because I an trying to detect quite small movements & setting up to detect large object (human) movement without too many false alarms should be much easier.

Dave