Engine Stand - alternative mounting

May I offer this slight alternative, the work of Nick Jones, of this and other parishes?

post-535-0-77993100-1511947942_thumb.jpg

Nick found that the intervening plate allowed the pivot axis of the stand to be at the block's CoG, so that turning it for work was a lot easier!

John

Hi Alan,

the clever people say the Ali Alloys can be stronger than steel (weight for weight) and this is true.

BUT!!!! there are dozens and dozens of Ali alloys and many then have various temper states. Plus you then have people referring to pure Ali as an alloy.

Good old mild steel is simply mild steel - you can't go wrong if you simply want something that you understand and recognise from experience.

Ali alloys are created for a purpose - not purposes are the same.

Roger

• 4 years later...

Hi all, resurrecting this thread, does anyone have one of these plates for sale or know of a seller. I cant find where to get a plate that size machined so would happily buy one depending on the cost. Second hand works :-)

Thanks

Tim

I’d have a slight concern about the loading on those top two 3/8th threaded holes for the engine mounting, is that valid? When you mount an engine on that stand usually, well any I’ve done in the past, you’re bolting straight though the bellhousing mounting holes in the block with a full bolt and nut, usually as large as you can manage. I’d have thought there was a moment of force here acting on those engine mount holes which is entirely different to the force they were designed to counter. Definitely great for access but it’d give me a twitchy feeling every time I went near it I think!

See photo of my similar version. 

I can't claim to have given deep consideration to the loads on the engine mount threaded holes, but it seemed sensible to provide another fixing towards the back of the block in the 7/16"UNF threaded hole for the water jacket drain outlet, (left of photo) with a tube welded to my grey adaptor plate so that the bolt can be pulled up tight.

At no time did I feel troubled by the integrity of the attachment. I did feel happier with the stability of the main support stand with the load closer across the stand than if it had been stuck out perpendicular to the stand using the back end bolts for attachment. It was well balanced when rotated through a full circle.

Dave McD

IMG_0317.JPG

While admire the ingenuity of the side mount system, there are two problems with the end mount position.

1/ if the stand is bolted up using the rear engine plate bolts, they are only 5/16 and four of them, lees than the plate uses.   It must be quite a strain

2/ Solve that by using a spare rear plate, and drilling out the edge holes to use 7/16 and all the rear plate holes may be used.    But then access is difficult to install the rear crank oil seal.

Solution:.  Cut a *'&:; big hole in the spare plate!   Bigger than the seal housing.     

Mine is painted bright red, just in case I ever tried to assemble it to a new engine!

John

Just for interest my complete engine while awaiting a rebuild was side mounted on the engine stand direct to the engine mount as above to save space for around 2 years and rebuilt the same way with no issues.

I was able to turn it as required after my Weetabix!

What concerned me more was the small size of the four bolts holding original lifting eyes to the engine with the box attached they seemed marginal given the weight.

Andy

5 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

See photo of my similar version. 

I can't claim to have given deep consideration to the loads on the engine mount threaded holes, but it seemed sensible to provide another fixing towards the back of the block in the 7/16"UNF threaded hole for the water jacket drain outlet, (left of photo) with a tube welded to my grey adaptor plate so that the bolt can be pulled up tight.

At no time did I feel troubled by the integrity of the attachment. I did feel happier with the stability of the main support stand with the load closer across the stand than if it had been stuck out perpendicular to the stand using the back end bolts for attachment. It was well balanced when rotated through a full circle.

Dave McD

IMG_0317.JPG

Yep, I’d be more comfortable with this set up. I totally agree that side mounting is going to be way more useful than the rear I just felt a bit twitchy about the standard engine mounting holes. This set up above would cover that off for me.

22 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Just for interest my complete engine while awaiting a rebuild was side mounted on the engine stand direct to the engine mount as above to save space for around 2 years and rebuilt the same way with no issues.

I was able to turn it as required after my Weetabix!

What concerned me more was the small size of the four bolts holding original lifting eyes to the engine with the box attached they seemed marginal given the weight.

Andy

I’d agree with this too, I just lifted the engine and box on and off my chassis for test fitting a couple of times over the weekend and wow it does give those brackets hell. Very marginal.

My stand suspends the engine from both sides and allows it to flip end over end. It gave exemplary service during both my TR6 and GT6 restoration campaigns.  It's retired now, and might be available for adoption if someone wants to collect it.

Ed

IMG_0071a.JPG

6 hours ago, ed_h said:

My stand suspends the engine from both sides and allows it to flip end over end. It gave exemplary service during both my TR6 and GT6 restoration campaigns.  It's retired now, and might be available for adoption if someone wants to collect it.

Ed

IMG_0071a.JPG

Good one, with an additional bolt on piece and a lock this one could be used to actually run the engine on where.needed.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:06 PM, ed_h said:

Ed

IMG_0071a.JPG

Too bad your not in California...

Edited by Kenrow
spelling