Colour combination: BRG + what top?

Black is nice and neutral but what about a deep red. Hmmmmm

Roger

That would go with my football team, but....I'm not so sure. Maybe I can play with a pic of my car and a bit of PhotoShop.

Edited by qim

Hi.

I just visited a friend with a 1954 TR2 that is originally BRG and still has bits and pieces of its original weather and interior. They were all red!

Well that's what I am guessing since the years have changed the colour somewhat. It would be either blackberry or red originally. The current look is more like a reddish rust colour, but I think, judging from other originally red cars with faded colour, that this was red, indicating that red weather equipment is definitely an option for a BRG/Red TR.

Dirk

I like the grey weather equipment and grey is also a

smart colour for the seats.

Hope they don't have green piping - that would be

just a bit too much.

Non-original, so maybe detracts a little from re-sale

value, but who cares if it's how you like it.

AlanR

Here you go. I was more interested in the original tenax, but you can clearly see the colour.

The inside of the hood is a bit more to what the colour would have been I expect.

I am sure the original red must have been a bit more brownish or toned down from the red restored interiors I have seen.

But as for your original question. Why not green? I have seen photos of TR3As in green. I think black won't be nice with both green and red. A tan might be better for sure.

Dirk

post-14709-0-49850300-1512046258_thumb.jpg

post-14709-0-86747400-1512046770_thumb.jpg

Edited by irrational

Dirk,

I didn't comment on the tenax fasteners on the sidescreens,

but FWIW I think they should be LTD. And maybe 4, not 3.

Car has disc brakes, so post-TS13,xxx (but could have been

a later modification).

Most of the bright red interiors I have seen are IMO correct,

or very very close. In the past, it has been difficult to get

the right shade, and availability often leads to a darker red.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

@AlanR

The car where that hood is from is TS3973. It still has tenax everywhere and they are definitely original to that car.

The hood already has the rear quarter panels though. I should have taken more photos but since my car is different I didn't.

I can't remember its amount of studs especially, but I think there were 4.

My car at TS5379 is LTD and my sidescreens are still original with 4 studs on the door.

For the record I have BRG/Stone as original colours, but the weather equipment was black. Nothing odd there.

I also find the mental picture of a bright red hood strange! There aren't really images around the web of green/red, but it definitely existed.

Dirk

Dirk,

Ah - my mistake. I confused the cars (and myself!)

There was a factory red hood available back in the early days

and Yes, that was a much darker red.

Not as dark as (and not to be confused with) the Blackberry

coloured weather equipment.

AlanR

Here's an example of a black TR3A with red interior and red hood/weather gear:

https://www.classicargarage.com/archives/triumph-tr-2-long-door-1954

It's a long door TR2 - restored, not original, albeit with

considerable attention to detail and authenticity.

NOT including the colour of trim and weather equipment.

AlanR

AlanR

When I purchased my car it had a grey interior (no green piping) and a tatty white hood and side-screens. I didn't want too many colours so opted for grey hood and re-furbished side-screens in the same colour (Don Hoods).

Agreed the tenax fasteners should be LTD's side and rear, but still look OK. Just 3 fixings on the doors so stayed with that.

The car is one of the first disc brake cars from September 1956 - CKD to South Africa until latter part of 2015. Restored by last owner in SA who owned car for over 20 years.

Rob

AlanR

When I purchased my car it had a grey interior (no green piping) and a tatty white hood and side-screens. I didn't want too many colours so opted for grey hood and re-furbished side-screens in the same colour (Don Hoods).

Agreed the tenax fasteners should be LTD's side and rear, but still look OK. Just 3 fixings on the doors so stayed with that.

The car is one of the first disc brake cars from September 1956 - CKD to South Africa until latter part of 2015. Restored by last owner in SA who owned car for over 20 years.

Rob

Rob - I'm only jealous.

The TR3 is my favourite sidescreen car and

the way you have done yours is gorgeous.

AlanR