Soldering the regulator connections

I am replacing the RB106 regulator with a solid state unit. It can be mounted behind the dashboard inside the car, so that there is no overheating. The wires need to be connected to the existing loom. This would be easy if I could use regular spade terminals and leave the new unit on show in the engine bay.

However I am planning to leave an empty Regulator box in place and solder the wires to the brass rivets which hold the existing spade connectors.

I am OK soldering copper pipes but not so good with cables. I notice that the existing cables from A1 are soldered at the back so I assume that I can connect my new cables to the other brass rivets.

I need some advice so that I get it right the first time unlike other jobs on the TR which only come right after more than one try.

Thanks Richard & H.

1. Why bother mounting it inside? It is designed to be under the bonnet.

2. If you do as you are proposing, then yes you can solder to the reverse side of the riveted terminal.

clean the area with a wire brush etc, then apply some flux. You will need a soldering iron with plenty of reserve heat

at least a 50 watt one. when the iron is up to temperature apply it to the rivet at the same time as applying the flux cored solder,

& rub the iron around till the solder covers the rivet with a nice shiny blob of solder. Do all the required rivets like this.

Next, strip & tin the ends of your new wires, & then re-melt the solder on the rivets, & push the wire ends into the "blob"

remove iron & wait till it is solid before moving anything.

If it was me I would also do the same on the outside of the old regulator,

to make sure the male spade blades are connected 100% to the rivets.

Good luck !

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Thank Bob,

That is very useful. I am still trying to look original where possible, but I am not sure why.?

It will need two people because the new unit is in the cab and the old RB106 box will be in the engine bay and the cables running through the bulkhead.

This will be a Christmas job , before the mulled wine :P

Richard & H.

Why not have the solid state controller built into the original RB106 box?

Here is someone in UK that does it

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/conversion-to-an-electronic-regulator.php

Peter W