DRN 4D - The Resurrection Shuffle . . . . .

Resurrection Shuffle you ask ?

Well, it was 1980 that DRN 4D last moved under its own motive power, suffering from the abuse of having been TR8 team support car at Le Mans 1980. 1985 when it last moved at all, since when it's been quietly resting in the corner of one of our garages. I reckon that's long enough to qualify for resurrection status ? :rolleyes:

As for the shuffle, that's me in the corner, one effect of chemotherapy is that every damn thing takes twice as long to do half as much, and it b*gg*rs your leg and arm muscles to boot . . . . . hence the shuffle . . . . . B)

The 4A is now a tub stripped of everything but its paint and Surrey top, sitting loose on the chassis ready for lift-off, drive train already out of the chassis. A process which has taken little more than 50 man hours to achieve, which is a tribute to Jeff Leat's abilities . . . . . I'm just the gofer !

The tub is in considerably better condition than we anticipated, which is a bonus. :D

Link to random photos taken partway through the teardown, I'll upload some current shots later in the week.

https://www.irista.com/gallery/bpbovphmv7wf#/

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Go as planned ???? :blink:

Heavens to Murgatroyd, Pogo, what's A Plan ? :wub:

Is there one in the Workshop Manual ??? :) Or the Parts Catalogue ? B)

If you happen to come across one running loose, catch the blighter and send it down here, we could probably use it, it can keep company with the newly rediscovered Round Tuit . . . . . :ph34r:

Cheers,

Alec

Good heavens Alec, it's got a Surrey top :o .

I hope you drag it down to the tip for some hairdresser to rescue B)B)

Looking at all the surface rust have you considered your next move - chemi-dip, blasting or elbow grease.

good luck

Roger

Well chosen indeed, Diane. Peak of the TR build quality according to Richard Newton ( TRIUMPH BUYERS GUIDE ).

The Surrey lid has an enviable fit in front, and no outward signs of rusting ( keep your fingers crossed! ).

All I'd need to complete the bill is a pair of 45 DCOE 9s ;) .

Cheers,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Body was naked about 3 weeks ago.

Jeff has now striped off all the suspension and swing arms from the mounting points. NO easy task using the longest bars imaginable. Which was one of the reasons DRN was parked as we could not get it apart to fix a broken trunion.

No wonder Alec did not want me driving it any more way back when - what chassis ? The holes are enormous behind where the swing arms were. OK I regularly had chunks of the chassis welded at the time but . . . . . . So a word of warning however solid you think it is - it isn't !

I took the Surrey top off once and ended up having to jack up the back to get it back on so I never dared remove it again as the chassis deteriorated. Back then about every 3 months I had yet another bit plated. So definitely no Dunlop umbrella.

• 2 weeks later...

A month on and good progress thanks to Jeff's sterling efforts . . . . . .

The rebuilt chassis just needs another coat of enamel to complete, and the ant-rust whichever gloop squirting inside. Two or three weeks' time and the blaster will be dealing with the body paint and rust - he's accustomed to working on alloy bodyshells, of infinitely greater than TR value, so despite my nervousness about blasting I'm not anticipating any problems with Triumph steel. Overall, the body is in better shape than I'd feared . . . . new floors and sills to go in, and side sections of the rear deck, but otherwise a modest selection of holes to be neatly plated. Oh yes, the bootlid needs some serious surgery, and replacement doors will be going in - the old doors are well rotted . . . . . fortunately I picked up a mint pair many years ago.

Removed components are being sorted and weighed up against what I have in stock on the shelf . . . . no wish to replace more than is necessary, not for the sake of it, what is original and can realistically be rebuilt, refettled, whatever, will be. Meanwhile it's an ongoing source of amazement discovering long forgotten items acquired way back when . . . . . some of this stuff hasn't see the light of day for 35 or more years, Stanpart, BL and assorted OE supplier component. There will be a fair amount of surplus for disposal in due course !

Many thanks to all those who have volunteered assistance . . . input will be greatly appreciated in due course, once stuff starts going back together. Jeff and I decided that it was best to first dismantle everything ourselves, this way we might have at least a sporting chance of recalling how it ought to go back together !

Fingers crossed for 2018, getting DRN 4D back to the road is definitely one motivation to keep staying alive . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Wish I had the concentration to drive in anger again - spirited maybe. I loved doing Goodwood Sprints and Gurston Hill Climb but never achieved very good times back then anyway.

I have some photos of my car with Julian Furness' TR3B painted orange and Dennis Futcher's TR3A. Also found a surprising picture of my car with the nose of Alec's TR6 nearby before I even knew him ! Loads of photos of the Round Britain run as well including Donington Loop International = 1978 ?

• 2 months later...

Long overdue update - progress has not been as steady as I'd have wished, but that's primarily down to this wretched cancer of mine . . . . . which has been hitting me pretty hard this year. Now I've started immunotherapy it's even worse . . . . twice as long to do half as much. :rolleyes: Immune system deficiencies have meant that I haven't been able to call upon the services of those who had volunteered to assist if required - I try and avoid infection risks as much as I can.

Jeff in contrast has beavered steadily, a day and sometimes two days each week, even on days when I've been too ill to assist. Our original plan of action has had to evolve somewhat, changing priorities to suit available time and influenced also by the weather and by a handful of 'back order' parts still awaited. Jeff has been doing a grand job, the end result is going to be considerably superior to that we originally envisaged, and today was a big achieve sort of a day . . . . .

DRN 4D is now a rolling chassis, back on its wheels complete with suspension, steering, brakes, plumbing. That's some kind of minor milestone, and a source of considerable satisfaction.

It may be slowly, but we're getting there . . . . :D

Cheers

Alec

Well done Alec. Keep up the good fight.

The car projects will keep you going.

You have a lot of us rooting for you.

????