Hi Tony

With the back rest straight up (not reclined) the measurements are 26" approx, And with the headrest fully in the down position 34" approx,

Hope this help's,

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks Dave..much appreciated..Tony

While some Mk1 seats are the Tombstone design, there are Mk1 seats with separate headrests, similar to the Mk2 design. When I contacted Paul Bishop about this, he responded with -

"The mk1 seats you are looking at have removable head rests. They made seats with separate head rests for the mk1 and mk2 , the only difference is the runners. The mk1 seat runners are easier to adapt to the conversion kit you will need"

So I bought the Mk1 seats with separate headrests from Paul, covered in lovely black Italian leather and my back has not stopped thanking me since.

John

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a pair of MK1 seats from Paul Bishop that he has overhauled and recovered in gorgeous blue leather...I'm absolutely chuffed with them and paid Paul £650 for them...He doesnt send seats through the post though now...you have to pick them up

Runners as recommended by Paul... £100 from TR Trader

I was very fortunate to find a set of black leather mx5 seats on FB marketplace for just £100! Some time spent pulling them apart to fit seat heaters (£28) was well worth it.

i would keep looking in different places, you never know what might surface.

simon

Hi Billy,

these seats regularly pop up on second hand websites.

Here is an example, in The Netherlands, so maybe not practical for you, but a set for 100 euro including runners is not expensive.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/auto-onderdelen/interieur-en-bekleding/m1468750701-mazda-mx5-mx-5-stoelen-mk1-leder-schuim-in-perfecte-staat.html

I guess similar sets can be bought in the UK.

I bought a good pair and had them retrimmed in leather (with the horizontal stripes) and seat heating in Germany, very good quality.

Regards,

Waldi